User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/2/2006 2:04:34 PM EDT
Short cycling. This sucks.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 2:10:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Lots of lube. the first two magazines of RG ammot ook forever, almost every round short cycled.
I copiously lubed the BCG and now I haven't had 1 hiccup in 700 rounds.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:03:35 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Lots of lube. the first two magazines of RG ammot ook forever, almost every round short cycled.
I copiously lubed the BCG and now I haven't had 1 hiccup in 700 rounds.

Really?  Huh, I may have to try that before I ditch ~600 rounds
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:22:29 PM EDT
[#3]
How well are you taking care of your weapon?  

Operator head space and timing is responsible for many malfunctions.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:23:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I understand that the Radway Green was underpowered, so as not to keep breaking the L85.  It may not be producing enough pressure to cycle the AR.

Semper Fi

ETA: spelling
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:24:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Also make sure the spring and buttstock tube are well lubed. Is yours the RG with the NATO cross on it?

If any are wondering about whether it is loaded to NATO spec here is a link from the ammo forum for those that have not seen it.

www.wideners.com/itemdetail.cfm?item_id=6674
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:25:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 4:58:47 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Also make sure the spring and buttstock tube are well lubed. Is yours the RG with the NATO cross on it?

yes the cross is there, it is marked "90" too.  Thank all of you for the info.

Could lack of lube really be causing this?  I went straight to WWB afterwards and it ran fine, back to the RG and short stroke city..

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:34:59 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

If any are wondering about whether it is loaded to NATO spec here is a link from the ammo forum for those that have not seen it.

update - I did give it a second try after really lubing up the spring, buttstock tube, and carrier as suggested.  Worked like a charm!  Odd, but I'm satisfied now that 720rds didn't go to waste.  Thanks for all of the suggestions.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:17:00 AM EDT
[#9]
I bought two cans of this from Widner's, and have run 180 rounds through my Colt LE6920, and my Bushmaster Modular Carbine.  No problems with this ammo in either rifle.  It makes a different kind of "bang" than M855 from LC, I think RORG uses extruded powder...  it's all '90 headstamp.  I hand inspected all 1440 rounds, they were all in good shape, no dented cases, dimpled primers, or bad crimps.  The rounds were shipped with the strippers, and bandoliers (much nicer than what's supplied with LC by the way).  About half the ammo was loose, the other half was still on the stripper, 4 rounds to a clip.  

I "refilled" the strippers and loaded them back into the bandoliers.  There are no cardboard boxes, but I don't think that's a big deal.

I plan to use all this at the range as practice ammo.  I stockpile M855/M193 rounds for SHTF purposes.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 8:19:56 AM EDT
[#10]
IIRC, the underpowered ammo was used only for a short period in an attempt to make the L85 more reliable.

The british members on this site corrected me, and noted that the pressure curve was different, but overall the round is not "underpowered" unless you got a batch from that specific attempt at curing the L85's woes
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:06:59 AM EDT
[#11]
You shouldn't have to slop the lube on to make your rifle work.  I have never, ever, lubricated the recoil spring on an AR or M16, other than wiping it with a rag that happened to have a little oil on it because it happened to be my gun cleaning rag.  Any more, the only thing I lube are the bosses on the bolt carrier that ride inside the upper, and the face of the hammer.  Lightly.  Nothing else.

If your rifle runs fine on all other ammo, I can see some extra lube to get your moneys worth out of that ammo.  I hope it was cheap.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:23:09 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

If your rifle runs fine on all other ammo, I can see some extra lube to get your moneys worth out of that ammo.  I hope it was cheap.

I think the difference was bone dry vs. a fair film of RemOil in the receiver.  Nevertheless, it was shocking to see the same gun, the same ammo, go from short stroking to zero failures with only the application of a little lube.  I guess al ittle lube goes a long way.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top