Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/27/2005 4:44:36 PM EDT
What is the average barrel life of a 20" DPMS (non-crome lined) upper?  I only wonder because I've got 4-5000 rounds through it now (shooting service rifle) and am just wondering when I should expect to replace the barrel.  

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:50:40 PM EDT
[#1]
That depends on how much rapid fire shooting the barrel is subjected to. An AR barrel can be burned out in 2,500 rounds or less if really cooked. If slow firing only, you'll probably get over 10,000 rds out of any decent barrel and still get 1-2" groups at 100 yds. I would bet the "average" AR barrel would last 5,000 rounds or more w/o noticeable problems in accuracy.

More bbls get ruined from voracious cleaning than from shooting. Given that you are shooting service rifle, you probably are only about half way through a bbl's useable life all other factors being equal. The barrel is an easy part to replace, though
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:35:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been blasting away with my Bushmaster chrome lined 20" HBAR for the last 4,500 rounds. I'm set to hit 5000 this week since I shoot 500 rounds each session. I'm starting to have all kinds of problems with mine. FTEx is the main one, especially with NATO 5.56. Commercial .223 works fine though, until the barrel gets really hot. Then I'm stuck doing a cleaning rod dance like a GI in Vietnam every 3 rounds. I never had these problems when I first got the rifle.

I've been going pretty fast with a shot every 2-3 seconds at a target 50 yards away. Practicing follow up shots and regaining my sight picture after recoil from a standing position has been my main focus, and shooting Wolf and hot 5.56 doesn't help. I've been really harsh with it at times, too, blasting away with 120 rounds a minute for shits and grins.

So due to my reliability woes, I'd say replace it every 5,000 rounds if you're a "spirited" shooter. And maybe every 10,000 if you shoot at a slower pace. YMMV. Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:16:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I will replace mine as soon as it won't shoot a high 10 ring count at 600yards. That can be anywhere between 3000 to 6000 rounds in most SS match barrels used for highpower.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:34:40 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I will replace mine as soon as it won't shoot a high 10 ring count at 600yards. That can be anywhere between 3000 to 6000 rounds in most SS match barrels used for highpower.

i recently replaced a SS barrel, and early eagle arms 1-9 that i used for reduced courses
had approx 6500 rounds thru it, (about 1700 M193 ball, the rest 69SMK reloads)
it swallowed a M16 reject gauge, groups had enlarged to about 1-1/4 inches

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:46:03 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Let me know when your through with your "burned up barrels" so that I can get them out of your way for you.  I'm serious....really.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:00:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Alright, good to know.  I'll be shooting my first full length high power match starting this season so I'll have to see how it does at 600.  I bet the barrel is past what I can get it to shoot, so it might be time to replace it.  Truth is, I got this rifle when I was 16 and never thought about keeping track of the round count at that time...  It's amazing what you learn when you get older :)

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 9:31:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm a bit surprised at these low numbers everyone is giving.
My A2 I got issued in the Army was beat to shit when I got it. I'm sure I put more that 5,000 rounds through it while I had it and I never had an accuracy problem that wasn't operator related.
Our ranges were relatively small though, so maybe the furthest targets I've needed to engage were at about  400m or so.
I was never really any good at long-distance shooting anyway,, so I can't say if missed targets were a result of the weapon or me.
Most of the live fire training we did was either CQB/MOUT stuff or platoon attacks with most targets well under 300m.
My shots were accurate enough to put holes in the targets.

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:21:23 PM EDT
[#8]
ArmedAndRetarded: Military M16s have a chrome-line chamber and barrel.  Those guns can shoot well in excess of 20,000 rounds before wearning the rifling down enough to cause inaccuracies.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:35:33 PM EDT
[#9]
I have 30,000 + plus through a ArmaLite Chrome lined barrel...........still shoots minute of dead too
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:22:35 PM EDT
[#10]
When high power match barrels go it is usually noticed at the 600 yard line. Many still hold the 10 ring at 100-300 yards.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:49:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 8:22:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
...I'm starting to have all kinds of problems with mine. FTEx is the main one, especially with NATO 5.56. Commercial .223 works fine though, until the barrel gets really hot. Then I'm stuck doing a cleaning rod dance like a GI in Vietnam every 3 rounds. I never had these problems when I first got the rifle...

The barrel is the least probable cause of your problems. Go to the troubleshooting section and you'll see.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top