Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/21/2005 7:02:02 PM EDT
I am about to aquire a new Bushmaster Lower Receiver the fit and finish is great the Butt stock looks a little cheesy and flimsy though. I am looking to replace the butt stock with one that is better constructed heaver, tougher material. Anyone know of a suitable replacement that is Milspec if possible? I will post pictures of the weapon once I have it completed.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:10:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I suppose you could sheell out the money for a new Colt buttstock assembly.  But having previously owned a Bushmaster with a A2 stck , and having carried and M16A2 for a few years, I couldn't tell a difference.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:57:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I carried an A2 when I was in the Army and the Butt stock was beefier and heavier than this one.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:59:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Well I guess it could be that my memory sucks it has been 15 years since I was in.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:07:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:10:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks but no thanks. I want to keep my rifle with a KISS profile and not Gee Wiz with corresponding prices. Just looking to find a Heavier built A2 milspec profile Stock.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:14:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I will reinforce the existing stock internally.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:22:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 1:05:06 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I recently aquired a new Bushmaster Lower Receiver the fit and finish is great the Butt stock looks a little cheesy and flimsy though. I am looking to replace the butt stock with one that is better constructed heaver, tougher material. Anyone know of a suitable replacement that is Milspec if possible? I will post pictures of the weapon once I have it completed.

I got ahold of a small batch of Colt made, GI surp butts, a couple of years back. I gues they were surplused when the Army went over to the M4. Anyway, they came in big zip locks; with a sheet inside IDing them as BUTT STOCK ASSEMBLY STOWAGE, 1005-01-135-4973. They have butt plates, trap doors and rear sling swivels, but are otherwise stripped.

I've got 2 left.  One is earmarked for a project of my own.  If you want the other, e mail me.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 2:54:43 PM EDT
[#9]
I will first have to disassemble the stock to examine the materials used internally. I have used alot of  epoxies and composites when I worked on aircraft. Incredibly strong and light weight. If it is feasible I will do so,  if not,  I will look for a tougher stock.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:23:09 PM EDT
[#10]
By the way I got to briefly examine a BM lower I will be receiving mine in a day or so. Once I can take a look I will know if I will be able to strengthen the stock or not. I am not worried about increased weight. Just want to beef the stock up if possible.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 11:43:59 AM EDT
[#11]
looks like I will not need to beef up the stock my lower is very sturdy better than the lower I looked at before.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top