Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2005 1:08:52 PM EDT
i heard a rumor and figured I could confirm or deny it here.  I was told that Colt will no longer be making the ar-15 BCG and that will only be making the M-16 BCG.  I was told that the ATF has approved the use of the M-16 BCG in AR-15's.  Anybody heard of this.  I would like to see the ATF approval on this if anybody has a link, or copy of a memo.  

Or is the complete b.s. and if I buy an M-16 BCG and put it in my M4 i will be commiting a motral sin.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 1:10:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Mortal sin, no, you are safe with a Colt M16 BCG.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 4:37:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I spoke to Colt when I picked up my 6920 a couple months ago, and I was told that Colt got the green light from the ATF to use full auto carriers in their semi auto ARs, because having a Full auto carrier doesn't make a semi auto a machinegun.  Enjoy your AR!!!
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 5:17:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 10:27:51 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
It is my understanding as well.
All new Colt AR rifles/carbines should be shipping with a standard Colt M16 carrier group.

I have seen the ATF letter addressed to Colt and I have a copy of it on my hard drive . . .just can't find it at the moment.

At some point I could see this leading to most/all new carriers being maufactured being the standard M16 type for various manufacturers.

The idea behind the AR "semi" auto carrier has always been silly.

Actually, they could serve well in Light Weight ARs..........serious
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:04:53 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
It is my understanding as well.
All new Colt AR rifles/carbines should be shipping with a standard Colt M16 carrier group.

I have seen the ATF letter addressed to Colt and I have a copy of it on my hard drive . . .just can't find it at the moment.

At some point I could see this leading to most/all new carriers being maufactured being the standard M16 type for various manufacturers.

The idea behind the AR "semi" auto carrier has always been silly.

No, I'm not buying all new bolt carriers....
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:41:01 AM EDT
[#6]
i like the neutered BCG's as i find them a tad easier to clean. call me crazy.......please!
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:37:57 AM EDT
[#7]
The letter below is often cited as the "Green Light" on M16 carriers in semi guns

The basic premise is that the M16 carrier by itself cannot make a semi shoot full auto

(a bit small but check page 2 for the relevant language)

Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:47:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top