Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2005 10:52:51 AM EDT
I have an M-4 SOCOM stock.  It is the tele model.  When shooting it will collapse.  If you adjust the allen screw to where it will not, you have locked it in position.  I ordered a new cam plunger for the stock and it still does this.  The aluminum tube is starting to wear down where the plunger engages.  The new cam plunger is wearing out also.  

I called ace and the first thing they asked me is if I dropped it or slammed it down.  The answer is no.  WTF would that matter.  They advertise the MFers for special operations and exclame how tough they are.  They are $180 also.  He said mail it back and he would look at it.  Interpreted he will tell me to eat it.  He said the warranty is voided if slammed down.

I know in the Army we were taught to use the butt of our rifle to fall to the preone shooting position.

Got any ideas?  Any experience or knowledge of these stocks?

Thanks, Bob
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:59:58 AM EDT
[#1]
I keep hearing what pieces of crap they are, but mine has never given me a single problem.  So far, it hasn't seen a lot of rough treatment though (though since it's mine that is bound to change).  I will be pissed, however, if it doesn't last since it wasn't exactly cheap.  Still, I love the cheek weld.

Not sure what I'm going to replace it with if it dies, but I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:00:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Take a look at this thread.  See what Ek says.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:31:33 AM EDT
[#3]
The thread said all the problems I am having.

Thanks, Bob
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 12:40:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I haven't had a lot of the problems others have had, but it has it's strengths and weaknesses.

the two little screws will back out after extensive shooting if they aren't loctited.

extending and collapsing the stock isn't like any of the other stocks on the market...a familiarity issue.  By the above i mean that it requires a push button as opposed to a lever.

some find the short model, well...short.  this can be remedied with a thicker stock pad (I like nose to charging handle so this doesn't affect me)

on a rare occasion the camming mechanism will lock in place if you have to drive the stock into the ground for an expedient clearance drill.  I found that this could be remedied by keeping the two upper tensioning screws tightened down (see #1).

strengths:

made of aluminum...despite the fact that i lack a M.S. in engineering I believe it to be much stronger than a polymer M4 version.

the buffer tube is much beefier than the mil-spec version.  I don't do many "breaching excercises" so take this for what it is worth  

comparable weight to standard M4 stock despite being made of a sturdier material.

nice cheekweld.  At least there's something there.  If you aren't a nose-to-charging handle shooter then it also provides a nice reference point to ensure consistency.

it looks different  may not mean much to you, but by judging what seem people post it is a pretty large factor when it comes to purchasing accessories.

BTW: It doesn't have to cost 180 bucks...pick one up on the EE for 100, see if you like it, if not put it up for sale.

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 1:09:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Mine will jam in place if it does not collapse all the way.  You have to take the allen out or tap on it with something heavy.  I have it locked in place now.

Bob
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:21:39 AM EDT
[#6]
For some reason My VLTOR doesn't have problems with screws backing out, unplanned collapses, or failing if it gets banged around.
Why dick around with something that will?  
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:42:41 AM EDT
[#7]
wow, there are other people besides me that share the problems that i had with the socom stock

thought i was the only one.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:44:19 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I called ace and the first thing they asked me is if I dropped it or slammed it down.

and they advertise the stock with door breaching and window breaking? sounds like they dont even have faith in their own product.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:45:40 AM EDT
[#9]
all those that have problems with the stock, it would be great if you guys go to the tacked collapsing stock thread and post you problems there so others would be able to read unbias reviews of the stock.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:12:52 AM EDT
[#10]
The thread Ek is talking about is here.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top