Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/14/2005 5:45:28 AM EDT
First off this is about G.A. Precision (George Gardner) in Kansas City; not Georgia Precision, which presumably is somewhere in Georgia.

My trusty old SR-25 finally got tired in the bore and I thought it deserved a new barrel so I sent it down to SSK Industries (JD Jones) for a re-fit. Oi, caramba! What a fiasco! On the first pass it came back with the wrong barrel twist (1/12); the handguard looked like it had been  installed with a pipe wrench; and it wouldn’t shoot under 1.75 MOA. After returning it (Don’t ask what it costs to air freight a fully insured SR-25.) it came back again with the correct barrel twist but still couldn’t get under 1.75” @ 100 yards. A multiple e-mail exchange with Jones finally yielded his backstop position: “Those rifles are just finicky.” Great. I’m now out the cost of a new match barrel and a butt-load of freight costs and I’ve got a very expensive rifle which now is most effective with the bayonet affixed.

So I send the rifle to GA precision for a re-attempt at getting the barrel right. Gardner struggled manfully with this problem and we just couldn’t get it to shoot right even with a known barrel. I wouldn’t want to guess how many hours George put into this effort. After much discussion and head scratching, we finally determined that Jones had warped the upper!

I contacted Knight’s to see about a replacement upper. Their response consisted of (and I’m paraphrasing here) “Dear civilian peasant. We don’t do replacement parts. Go away.” Great. Just lovely.

After some more discussions with George (who was obviously feeling personally insulted that he couldn’t make my rifle shoot) we agreed that he would build me an AR-10 around my existing components. Got it yesterday. Hoo boy! 0.32” @ 100 yards with factory Fed 175’s and a Shepherd scope; which nobody has ever accused of being a hyper-precision target optic. I’m wild to mount the Night Force on it and work up some tailored loads just to see high tight it will go.

George and I did get into something of a low-intensity pissing contest regarding the bill: My insisting that his work was worth a lot more than he charged and he being stuck on the policy that “we had a deal” and that everything coming out of his shop is going to be absolutely perfect, no matter what it takes. I don’t know about the rest of you but I find it real refreshing to deal with a man who is not only an absolute master at his craft but also stands on immovable business ethics.

Would I recommend G.A. Precision? What do you think?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 5:58:26 AM EDT
[#1]
George does good work and also seems to have a stellar reputation to boot.  He fixed my Remington 700 that came from the factory with scope mounting holes out of line and put a nice Badger rail on it.  Not as intense as your project...
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:16:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Did he mate an AR10 upper to your SR lower or did he start with all new Armalite upper/lower and add your parts?  Congratulations on what sounds like a great rifle, sorry to hear it was such an ordeal.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:54:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Did he mate an AR10 upper to your SR lower or did he start with all new Armalite upper/lower and add your parts?

Had to go with AR-10 upper and lower. Apparently, there isn't a hammer big enough to force a mix&match.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:59:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Sorry to hear about the fiasco, but good to hear you got everything worked out. It's also good to hear about good businesses out there, thanks!!

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:07:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 8:22:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Shouldn't SSK be responsible for your now fubar'd upper receiver?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:13:25 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Interesting, I know a few people with SR-25s with modified AR10 upper receivers.  Not much modification needed, just remove the shelves so the mag will fit..

If you look on the Armalite site for the AR10 history, I thought they used SR25 uppers attached to their protoype receivers for testing and eval.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top