Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/2/2005 4:29:47 AM EDT
I have seen 3 gun competition mentioned before but cannot seem to find (through search function) what it is. Is it three AR's or any three guns? Does this give me a good reason to build another AR?
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 4:31:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Pistol, rifle, shotgun.

Mike

ps - your search fu is quite weak: www.tsssinc.com/fwaps/3gun/3GunEqup.html
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 5:01:15 AM EDT
[#2]
thanks but "3 gun" brings up nothing but a reference to a scope and some other bs. Nothing that tells me what it is.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 5:14:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Wow, thats alot of stuff. I assume one would only carry (at one time) the ammunition and asscoiated equipment for the specific stage they are participating in i.e. for rifle, one would only carry mags/ammo and the rifle? Sounds pretty cool.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 5:56:55 AM EDT
[#4]
anyone know of any 3-gun stuff in texas?  specifically, the dfw area or east of that.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 6:12:28 AM EDT
[#5]
check out www.brianenos.com/forums
Best 3-gun info I've found....
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 7:48:04 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
anyone know of any 3-gun stuff in texas?  specifically, the dfw area or east of that.

There is the Texas Tactical group.  They usually announce their montly matches in the GD section and on AR15-L@YahooGroups.

They also have a website - I'm sure you can goole up the URL.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 8:12:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 7:24:31 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Wow, thats alot of stuff. I assume one would only carry (at one time) the ammunition and asscoiated equipment for the specific stage they are participating in i.e. for rifle, one would only carry mags/ammo and the rifle? Sounds pretty cool.

Depends on the match and the stages within the match.  3-Gun is the highest evolution of shooting IMHO.  While on the clock, you will have to engage, static and moving pistol targets and steel while moving, reloading, etc.  Then, transition to say your shotgun where you'll shoot slugs at paper targets, shot at steel targets and clays that are tossed (usually for time bonuses).  Lastly to transition to your rifle and engage anything from paper targets from 6" to say 75 yards and flasher/Larue targets out to 300 yards in the same array.

The order of engagements are always different.  Sometimes it's one gun.  Sometimes it's two guns.  Sometimes it's all three.  You have diffent ammo for different conditions (for instance using spreader rounds in your shotgun and close steel and buck shot on steel that's a little far away for conventional #6-8 shot).  Your working out round counts in all your weapons, to maximize speed and engagements 'cause again...you're on the clock.  You could have different ammo for your rifle (I carry a 55gr. load for anything under 100 yards and a 69gr. load for everything else, but in most cases just shoot my 69 gr. load at everything).  

The psychological now gets thrown in because you're having to transition between three seperate shooting platforms, three seperate sight pictures, three seperate trigger pulls and firearm timings.  It's great!!!

There are tons of places to shoot 3-Gun in Texas and in the DFW area.  Double Tap Ranch and TacPro Shooting Center quickly come to mind.  

The biggest matches are:

Superstition Mountain Mystery 3-Gun, Mesa, Arizona
Ironman 3-Gun, Boise, Idaho
Rocky Mountain 3-Gun, Raton, New Mexico
USPSA 3-Gun Nationals, Reno, NV (but location changes)
DPMS Tri-Gun Challenge, Minnesota

Some great gunsmiths that can set you from top to bottom:

Benny Hill from Triangle Shooting Sports
John Paul from JP Enterprises
Randy Luth from DPMS, Inc.

As mentioned above, the best place to get info on 3-Gun is going to be from Brian Enos.com's 3-Gun Forums.  It is the source for everything you could ever want to know about 3-Gun.  On top of that you can learn about MOR (Manually Operated Rifle) Competition where the standard is shoot 1MOA.  Of course can you hit 10, 6" circles at 600 yards in under say 3 minutes, where you have to read the winds, and verify distances?  If so, this is the sport for you.  While most bolt rifles will do, there are those that win (AI-AWP's, Tubb 2000's, et. al.).

Hope that helps.

SPC Richard A. White, Senior Medic
249th MP Detachment (EACF)
Camp Humphreys, ROK

Link Posted: 12/2/2005 7:30:00 PM EDT
[#9]
jockeys, there are two 3 gun matches a year at Tac Pro Shooting Center, north of Stephenville. You can go to www.tacproshootingcenter.com and look the the October match. Loads of fun.

Texas tactical runs a match a month in the Austin-San Antonio area.
Link Posted: 12/2/2005 7:54:45 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
thanks but "3 gun" brings up nothing but a reference to a scope and some other bs. Nothing that tells me what it is.

Imagine a bunch of old overweight men running around loaded down with tactical gear shooting at stuff.

That's a 3 gun match.

And they are fun as all get out.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 4:26:30 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Which is why I stated your search fu is weak....... had you tried "3 Gun Competition" into your favorite search engine you'd have gained mucho hits on the topic you were seeking.  

Mike
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 6:28:55 AM EDT
[#12]
The most fun you can have while keeping your clothes on. That is 3 gun.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 2:40:16 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Depends on the match and the stages within the match.  3-Gun is the highest evolution of shooting IMHO.  While on the clock, you will have to engage, static and moving pistol targets and steel while moving, reloading, etc.  Then, transition to say your shotgun where you'll shoot slugs at paper targets, shot at steel targets and clays that are tossed (usually for time bonuses).  Lastly to transition to your rifle and engage anything from paper targets from 6" to say 75 yards and flasher/Larue targets out to 300 yards in the same array.

The order of engagements are always different.  Sometimes it's one gun.  Sometimes it's two guns.  Sometimes it's all three.  You have diffent ammo for different conditions (for instance using spreader rounds in your shotgun and close steel and buck shot on steel that's a little far away for conventional #6-8 shot).  Your working out round counts in all your weapons, to maximize speed and engagements 'cause again...you're on the clock.  You could have different ammo for your rifle (I carry a 55gr. load for anything under 100 yards and a 69gr. load for everything else, but in most cases just shoot my 69 gr. load at everything).  

The psychological now gets thrown in because you're having to transition between three seperate shooting platforms, three seperate sight pictures, three seperate trigger pulls and firearm timings.  It's great!!!

There are tons of places to shoot 3-Gun in Texas and in the DFW area.  Double Tap Ranch and TacPro Shooting Center quickly come to mind.  

The biggest matches are:

Superstition Mountain Mystery 3-Gun, Mesa, Arizona
Ironman 3-Gun, Boise, Idaho
Rocky Mountain 3-Gun, Raton, New Mexico
USPSA 3-Gun Nationals, Reno, NV (but location changes)
DPMS Tri-Gun Challenge, Minnesota

Some great gunsmiths that can set you from top to bottom:

Benny Hill from Triangle Shooting Sports
John Paul from JP Enterprises
Randy Luth from DPMS, Inc.

As mentioned above, the best place to get info on 3-Gun is going to be from Brian Enos.com's 3-Gun Forums.  It is the source for everything you could ever want to know about 3-Gun.  On top of that you can learn about MOR (Manually Operated Rifle) Competition where the standard is shoot 1MOA.  Of course can you hit 10, 6" circles at 600 yards in under say 3 minutes, where you have to read the winds, and verify distances?  If so, this is the sport for you.  While most bolt rifles will do, there are those that win (AI-AWP's, Tubb 2000's, et. al.).

Hope that helps.

Camp Humphreys, ROK

Thanks, thats some explanation and does sound like fun. Also intimidating as I am not a great marksman.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 8:08:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Most shooting sports don't care if you are a novice and you will learn alot by participating with others in shooting, every time I go out I learn something new by watching the more experienced shooters run through the courses.
Link Posted: 12/3/2005 9:19:19 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Imagine a bunch of old overweight men running around loaded down with tactical gear shooting at stuff.

That's a 3 gun match.

Link Posted: 12/4/2005 5:21:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 5:51:33 AM EDT
[#18]
What is 3 gun competition?  

Lots of fun!
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 10:27:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Anyone know of any 3 gun events in the South Florida AO?
Link Posted: 12/4/2005 10:40:37 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's a 3 gun match.

Hmm, well I am 32 and not overweight. Zak S. is young and in shape as well. So I guess your anaology isn't holding any water.

C4

Hmmm...I'm 31, not overweight, and probably in 2-3 months will score over 300 on my Army Physical Fitness Test.  And, I know that I'm one of the "out of shape" guys that finish in the Top 25.  And having trained with Mike Voigt, Bennie Cooley, Matt Burkett and Tarin Butler, I guarantee you that if you're out of shape, you ain't got a chance.

Camp Humphreys, ROK
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 2:23:55 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's a 3 gun match.

ahhh, he said 3-Gun, not Civil war re-enactments

Different deal

Link Posted: 12/5/2005 4:13:22 PM EDT
[#22]
I suspect Dace meant no harm though he is misinformed. Many three gun competitions and clubs which put them on exist. This is a good thing. These clubs vary widely on the level and perameters which they follow. Many are more serious and attend nationally  attended matches. These offer a different level of competition and flavor than the local matches held in many places. It is my observation that three gun is a relatively new sport. Exciting and demanding. A truly great sport. Definition has yet to be standardised from what I can see. Attendants are all contributors.

It does not mean you need another AR. It means you need to get in touch with your local USPSA.

eta; C-4, GREAT photo. I would like to know how to use a sling like depicted. That looks like an action shoot worthy of Websters.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 4:23:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 4:32:36 PM EDT
[#24]
most of the really good 3-Gun shooters are very athletic, fit people.  There usually aren't all that many good ones though... Not that I should be making fun of anybody... practical matches are the most fun I have ever had with a firearm, and is worth getting into. It helped my reaction times alot.  It is very fun to do too. One thing I have noticed is that most people with tricked out M4s don't do any better than the people lugging A2 HBARs, and that a good shooter is a good shooter, no matter what kind of gun they are armed with, and a bad shooter is a bad shooter, no matter how much they spent on equipment. Keep that in mind if you decide to do it...

Couch-Commando
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 4:35:48 PM EDT
[#25]
Thank you for the reply. I could buy the Troy sling, but I would still look like the 'different deal',
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 4:46:43 PM EDT
[#26]
USPSA isn't the answer - their matches are usually 'multigun', separating the 3 types for each stage. The best matches use IDPA based rules (loseley) and use two or three types per stage. MGM has a good set of guidelines, look at their Ironman match. The Cav Arms website has a ton of 3-gun pics.

NY-EMT
Hudson Valley 3-Gun
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 7:09:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Most clubs will use the single gun per stage rule due to saftey. IPSC vs IDPA has nothing to do with it.

I would rather see major and minor scoring in a match than idpa style. IMHOP it makes the field more even.

Cluds would use the IDPA system for it is easier to score without the use of computer software.
Link Posted: 12/5/2005 7:11:03 PM EDT
[#28]
The "IDPA-like" style referred to above is really IMGA rules.  It is similar to IDPA scoring in that it is base time + penalties.

Link Posted: 12/6/2005 11:04:47 AM EDT
[#29]
Every USPSA governed match I've attended has been single gun per stage or cold pistol holstered with long gun. 'Outlaw' clubs using IDPA scoring will run hot pistol in conjunction with long gun(s) on the same stage. As far as I know IDPA has no multigun rules but I think they should develop some.

I'm not a fan of the USPSA structure for 3-Gun as it makes the event more of a game than a tactical problem solving exercise. In the outlaw matches, if your primary goes down you draw your sidearm and fight your way to cover, target style/distance permitting. Sort of like Cowboy Action with cover, Tac Vests, AR's and Glocks. You don't see alot of space guns at the outlaw matches, most guys would look at home on the streets of Fallujiah.

It's the same old argument, just applied to two more weapon categories.
Link Posted: 12/6/2005 2:06:59 PM EDT
[#30]
it is a game, That the C stands for in IPSC. There all games, carboard does not shoot back. IPSC, IDPA, and 3 gun are my versions of golf.
Link Posted: 12/7/2005 4:45:49 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
it is a game, That the C stands for in IPSC. There all games, carboard does not shoot back. IPSC, IDPA, and 3 gun are my versions of golf.

Amen.  

Oh...and FWIW, 3-Gun has been around longer than IDPA.

Camp Humphreys, ROK
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:17:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Just games. That is just really a great point you have there. Its all just a game- like the military and their "training games". Case in point, the Army Marksmanship Unit recently hosted & played these silly games w/ their Ft. Benning 3 gun/multigun match: full-auto ak-47, AT-4 anti tank weapon, door breaching weapon, here is the gallery:

http://www.cavalryarms.com/AMU-3G/AMU-2005-1.html

But its just a pointless game, right? So - everyone who participates in 3gun/multi gun are just a bunch of game-playing civilian pussies, is that it?  Could you maybe be a little less condescending towards the interests of all the ar15.com members who "play games" ? And yeah, I "play games" - with lethal force.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 2:22:46 PM EDT
[#33]
The AMU participates in 3Gun in part because it helps them learn how to kill enemies of the United States more effectively.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top