Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2005 6:55:32 PM EDT
Geting a beta 100 rounder on a trade and was wondering how well the barrel would stand up to substained seim auto for 100 rounds. I mean after 30 rounds the barrel to hot to touch anyone have any experinence with these?
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:57:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't shoot 100 rounds in sustained semi auto.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:57:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:58:05 PM EDT
[#3]
You are exceeding the sustained fire rate of the gun.  That is dangerous, because it weakens the barrel and can cause it to warp.  You shouldn't fire much more than a 30 round mag before allowing the gun to cool.  If you do round-after-round, the barrel eventually heats up too much.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:02:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I guess I shouldn't bump off 3 mags in a row then huh?

It'll be fine, especially if it's chrome-lined.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:13:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You are exceeding the sustained fire rate of the gun.  That is dangerous, because it weakens the barrel and can cause it to warp.  You shouldn't fire much more than a 30 round mag before allowing the gun to cool.  If you do round-after-round, the barrel eventually heats up too much.

We all konw that the 3-gun shooters ruin their barrels and change them once every six months because they warp and rupture.  Seriously, I've never seen anyone have problems with rifles that they rapid fire over and over again with.  Obviously, you wouldn't shoot 20 betas in a row on full auto,  but come on.  I doubt our soldiers in the middle east wait for guns to cool after every mag.  And I doubt they have serious problems witht thier guns from it.  Please correct me if I'm full of crap.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:51:44 PM EDT
[#6]
All I find is that  You will need more ammo
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 3:53:25 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

We all konw that the 3-gun shooters ruin their barrels and change them once every six months because they warp and rupture.  Seriously, I've never seen anyone have problems with rifles that they rapid fire over and over again with.  Obviously, you wouldn't shoot 20 betas in a row on full auto,  but come on.  I doubt our soldiers in the middle east wait for guns to cool after every mag.  And I doubt they have serious problems witht thier guns from it.  Please correct me if I'm full of crap.

What he said.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 3:55:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Sustained fire is 12-15 rounds per minute.  100 rounds per minute is a bit much.  Even if you shoot a MG we are taught to fire in bursts and in tandem.  IE talking guns.  Laying on the trigger works for Rambo but not for combat unless your firing a your FPL.

Save your money and buy USGI mags.

Max
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:48:42 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Practical Sustained Rate of Fire is mucho different than Maximum Sustained Rate of Fire.  12-15 shots per minute is more than likely the figure devised for "aimed fire".  You would have no problems dumping an entire Beta cmag or even two through a semi auto.  Is it even possible to overheat a barrel through semi auto fire?  I've never heard of it...and i bet you would have to spend alot of money on ammo to do that.  I do agree with Maxell27 though...take the money you would have spend on a Cmag and but USGI's.  They won't break if you drop them when they're loaded...
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:30:56 AM EDT
[#10]
I do 100 round Beta Dumps out of my M16 with no problem.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:12:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Oh jesus.

There sure is a flowing stream of horse shit running through this question.

Go ahead and dump your beta on semi-auto and don't worry about those who cry wolf.
The novelty of the Beta mag will soon wear off and you'll learn to focus on precision fire.

HS1
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 11:32:16 AM EDT
[#12]
I had a Beta, added a bunch of weight, rattled around like a mofo, and seemed to be fragile. I quickly traded it for 14 new USGI 30s.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 11:43:23 AM EDT
[#13]
I can tell you that dumping the mag at night will turn your gas tube red
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 11:56:36 AM EDT
[#14]
'might be off base with this tale, but i recently got to play with a real live m16 (Full-Auto is just a wet dream in this country...)
I (we) managed to heat the rifle up to a point where the grenade launcher attached couldn't be used...
'Not familiar with it's function, but apparently "something" melted an thus prevented the launcher from being opened/manipulated....
This only required a few 30 rnd mags @ full auto with limitted cool down time....
The mp5 we had use of ripped thru mag after mag without  any heat related problems, but hey... apples and oranges I guess.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:08:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for all the info guys, for one I proablly will never run through 100 rounds in under a min.  Second this is just a novelty item...got it on a trade.  Once agian, thanks for all the info guys.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:17:54 PM EDT
[#16]
If you fire that thing off non-stop your barrel will start to melt about an inch in front of the front sight base.
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 9:09:38 AM EDT
[#17]
I have fired a bushy (16" hbar, fluted)  full auto 200 rounds in a row many times, the barrel got hot enough to boil water on contact, and I could not touch the handguard. No affect on accuracy. All wolf too.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top