Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/2/2005 9:56:08 AM EDT
I need some guidance/advice from the good people on this forum.  I have the opportunity to pick up a used Bushmaster Modular Carbine (25th Anniversary) for $1000 from a friend.  It's in excellent condition.  I'm not looking at it for its collector value, just as a practical-use carbine.  What I like about the Modular Carbine is that I plan on mounting an EOTech once I buy an AR15, and this one already has flip-up sights that won't obscure the view.  Also, this one has a flash hider attached, but I've noticed that on other 25th Anniversary's I've seen on the internet that they had no flash hider.  What's the deal with that; were some sold with flash hiders?  My friend bought the carbine used and it was like that.  

So what I need to know is whether $1000 is a good price.  If not, what would be?  Also, I would like to get some opinions on the Modular Carbine from people who have owned/fired them and compared them to something like, say, an M4-style.        
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 9:58:42 AM EDT
[#1]
You could actually build a modular carbine with exactly what you want on it for cheaper if you were willing to dive into something fairly simple and fun
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:24:44 AM EDT
[#2]
+1 for build it yourself.

Max
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:05:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Are you guys talking about building one from the ground up, or just adding stuff to a production model?  If building one from the ground up, do I need gunsmithing abilities?  Will all of the parts go together without any fitting required?  What uppers, lowers, and other parts do you guys recommend (pretty broad question, I know).  I have $1000 cash to spend on an AR15.  I like the M4 style the best.  Help me out guys...put together a $1000 package for me.  I'm pretty sure I want to put an EOTech on it eventually, so I'll need a flat top.  I guess I really need help with picking out the cool add-ons to go with the upper and lower, and maintaining my $1000 budget.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:15:53 PM EDT
[#4]
get it .it sold for more than that new.and it has extras on it that will end up costing you more than the $1000 if you make one.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:35:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought a mod carbine when they were new.  Now that I know what I know I would have never bought it.  I changed the thing so much that it did not even resemble what it was.  If I was you I would start with the SEBR 2005 model that ar15.com is putting on with Bushmaster.  It is an excellent value and I think you will be happry with it.  Here is a link to the ongoing disscusion.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 1:03:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Keep the replies coming guys...it's giving me things to think about.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:53:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:01:22 PM EDT
[#8]
I really like my mod carbine, it is really accurate and reliable but if I did it over again I would probalbly have built one myself. I spent $1300 on it new during the ban, put on a telestock ($100), a flash suppressor ($100). Now thats a $1500 rifle. Then add bipod adapter, harris bipod, refex sight, leatherwood ART scope, surefire, magazines, slings, ammo, and on and on and on. Not cheap. $1000 seems like a pretty good deal for it though, it was way more expensive new.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:08:49 AM EDT
[#9]
well if it aint for collecting then build your own.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:03:44 AM EDT
[#10]
I've got a mod carbine too.  I love it, but I would never buy one gain - I'd build it.  I too am "converting" it to no-ban.  It's at ADCO right now getting the barrel threaded.
It has some nice features (flip ups, YHM rail handguards etc.)but, it'd be a LOT cheaper to build.

I can't decide whether to trash the ACE skelly stock and get a telestock or just keep it.  I like ho the ACE cheek welds.

I actually was able to get mine for $989.00 w/transfer out the door brand new, so I don't feel quite as abd as others.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:53:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the help, guys.  I've decided to pass on this one and get something in the M4 design.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top