Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/29/2005 2:24:42 PM EDT
Is there any concensus on which suppressor to get for an AR-15?

For example, it seems like "the" suppressor to get for .22LR is the Gemtech OutbackII.  I'm wondering if there is such an obvious choice for .223 rifles?  And also, is it even worth it if I want to shoot with regular, full-velocity ammo?  E.g., will it let me shoot without hearing protection?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:15:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Start "HERE",  or "HERE".

All of the current  223/556 cans will allow for use of no ears, but your sensitivity to sound might also be a factor too.   All the cans will do a decent - good job killing muzzle blast, and vary in tone/sound.

Suppressor will do nothing for bullet flight noise, its' job is to contain the muzzle blast and slowly release to atmosphere.

How much do you want to spend,  I bought a $450 can, does what I need.    Best to hang out at the shoots and try to get demos of what people are using, and listen for yourself, though the sound is a whole lot different when you are the one holding the rifle..... my AR when fired makes a distinct crack sound like the rifle is being violently broken in half, but as an observer, it sound totaly different.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:16:12 PM EDT
[#2]
advanced armaments m4-2000 is one I am looking at getting.you get the FS that goes with it and it mounts on it.650 sounds like the one for me.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:17:59 PM EDT
[#3]
You cannot go wrong with any of Gemtech's products or their customer service.  .  

Advanced Armament's M4-2000 is perhaps the finest 5.56 suppressor on the market and I prefer its mounting system to the bi-lock.    

You WILL drop a grand once you are finished.  
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 5:17:30 AM EDT
[#4]
You can shoot all of them without hearing protection. Some are louder. I haven't heard a Tripple X but it's supposed to be the loudest, and most durable. From my observations of cans on ARs, they are not quiet. I'm not saying compared to and MP5SD running sub-sonic ammo or something, I mean compared to a 308 bolt gun. I probably wouldn't shoot any of them a lot without hearing protection. If you want quiet, go with Gem Tech, SWR, SRT. If you want full-auto mag dumps get the Tripple X. I like the flame and noise from full-auto, but I want one for a varmit rifle so I can smack sage rats all day comfortably.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 5:51:29 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You cannot go wrong with any of Gemtech's products or their customer service.  .  

Advanced Armament's M4-2000 is perhaps the finest 5.56 suppressor on the market and I prefer its mounting system to the bi-lock.    

You WILL drop a grand once you are finished.  

I have an AAC M4-2000 and I love it. I even had my .22-250 Remington 700 threaded for the M4-2000 mount so I can put my suppressor on it as well as my M16. Keep searching and you might find a bargain. I bought a slightly used dealer demo M4-2000 with the black moly finish for $475 about a year ago. Good luck.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top