Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2005 4:13:54 PM EDT
I read that putting any 2-stage trigger in a combat/SHTF rifle is a bad idea.  I cannot locate where I read it now.  What is the reason?  
ROCK RIVER ARMS AR-15 NATIONAL MATCH 2-STAGE TRIGGER
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:21:42 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I read that putting any 2-stage trigger in a combat/SHTF rifle is a bad idea.  I cannot locate where I read it now.  What is the reason?  
ROCK RIVER ARMS AR-15 NATIONAL MATCH 2-STAGE TRIGGER

Don't know the answer to that, but law enforcement agencies sure buy a bunch of them.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:23:35 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Don't know the answer to that, but law enforcement agencies sure buy a bunch of them.

Our policy says we can't screw with the trigger - much less put in a different one.  I'm sure most are this way.  We have to get a letter signed by God to make most changes - and then it's a maybe.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:26:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:27:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:29:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Higher than normal failure rate.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 4:32:11 PM EDT
[#6]
+1 on the higher than normal failure rate. Also a trigger with a lighter pull can accidentally pulled while your adrenaline is pumping. There is a reason the stock trigger pull is so heavy.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:16:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Done right a rra 2stage will work just fine.  Why pull 14 pounds of sand when you can have 4.5 pounds of glass?

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:22:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Leave light triggers to precision rifles.  If your AR is a room clearer, just say no.  If it's a "vote from the rooftops" AR, get one.  snipers get stressed, but not so much they put their finger in the trigger guard and accidently squeeze off a round.  running through a drug lords basement is a little different, finger might slip in towards the trigger if bumped wrong by a teamate, or seeing something you want to shoot then changing your mind cause you notice its just a kid in the way.  None of my AR's have anything other than a standard trigger.  My Remington 700 is a different story.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:25:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
+1 on the higher than normal failure rate. Also a trigger with a lighter pull can accidentally pulled while your adrenaline is pumping. There is a reason the stock trigger pull is so heavy.

I don't agree with that. Your finger should be off the trigger unless you're pulling it. I have a lighter trigger on my 1911 and don't have any trouble. Its heavy so that idiots who have no finger discipline don't fire it. If its a personal weapon, not an issue weapon that might be reissued to an idiot, go for the ligt trigger if you have the finger discipline to handle it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:28:48 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't agree with that. Your finger should be off the trigger unless you're pulling it. I have a lighter trigger on my 1911 and don't have any trouble. Its heavy so that idiots who have no finger discipline don't fire it. If its a personal weapon, not an issue weapon that might be reissued to an idiot, go for the ligt trigger if you have the finger discipline to handle it.

Ya I was just gonna say, if your using your weapon properly you wouldn't have that trigger happy finger on the trigger unless your intending on killing whatever is infront of you...therefore no matter how light the trigger is it shouldn't matter.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:39:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Keep in mind the lighter the trigger the more of a chance it will go off if it is dropped.  Finger control doesn't mean shit if you have butter fingers, or your sling comes off.  I've seen plenty of M16's hit the deck.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:44:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Just say "Yes Pat" and forget about it
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:48:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Yes with proper trigger finger discipline it shouldn't matter but shit happens. With the stock trigger there is less chance of shit happening.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:52:32 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Yes with proper trigger finger discipline it shouldn't matter but shit happens. With the stock trigger there is less chance of shit happening.

Also less chance of you putting rounds where they belong. I am going to look into the CMC trigger. 3.5 lbs and supposedly pretty damn reliable. I consider 3.5 lbs to be about idea., with under three being light and over 4.5 being heavy. I have a 4# trigger on my last 1911, and my new one should have about a 4# pull. Thats a little on the heavy side. 3# would be nicer, but oh well.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:02:47 PM EDT
[#15]
The reason would be that a true combat AR type weapon doesn't need a two stage trigger.  A mission specific weapon might, but your run of the mill A4/M4 doesn't need it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:19:03 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
The reason would be that a true combat AR type weapon doesn't need a two stage trigger.  A mission specific weapon might, but your run of the mill A4/M4 doesn't need it.

I personally don't care if its one or two stage, but the gritty, three stage "single stage" stock trigger at 7#s that my rifle currently has just doesn't do it for me. The reset is so poor that hammers are almost impossible.

I would settle for a relatively smooth 5# single stage, as long as it was reliable.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:19:16 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Also less chance of you putting rounds where they belong. I am going to look into the CMC trigger. 3.5 lbs and supposedly pretty damn reliable. I consider 3.5 lbs to be about idea., with under three being light and over 4.5 being heavy. I have a 4# trigger on my last 1911, and my new one should have about a 4# pull. Thats a little on the heavy side. 3# would be nicer, but oh well.

I have no problem putting all my shots in minute of dead with my stock trigger.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:44:22 PM EDT
[#18]
Have you ever tried doing a quick triple tap with a two stage trigger?
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:19:47 PM EDT
[#19]
First Pat Rogers said in an article for SWAT magazine I beleive that 2 stage triggers dont hold up to hard field use and are prone to failure.Second at least in my state if you use a firearm for defense any trigger pull under 5 lbs is considered a hair trigger...not the thing you want the grand jury to hear when deciding  to indight you or rule it self defense.Light triggers have no place on firearms meant for carry or defense,I dont want my field rifle more prone to go off with out my finger on the trigger and dont need it to break down at the wrong time.Competition is fine for serious use and carry I wouldnt use a trigger that light.Its bad enough with 1911s people having negligent discharges because of no real experience carrying one cocked and locked...add in a light trigger and its a train wreck waiting to happen.Even with experienced people I have to say light triggers below a certain point are just not what you want on a carry pistol or field rifle.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:29:58 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I have no problem putting all my shots in minute of dead with my stock trigger.

I can do it also, but I would like every advantage I can get. At the 300 yard line the trigger was really kicking my ass, and its hard for me to reset it properly without slapping while firing hammers or NSRs. With a cleaner 5.5# single stage even this wouldn't be a problem.

Quoted:
Have you ever tried doing a quick triple tap with a two stage trigger?

I don't know if you were talking to me, but yes I have, and it's easier than with the heavy stock piece. I still prefer a light single stage. Other than the KAC I don't know of any two stage trigger with a good rep.

Quoted:
Even with experienced people I have to say light triggers below a certain point are just not what you want on a carry pistol or field rifle.

I agree with you, however I think that point is 3-3.5#s, not 5-6. With triggers in this range I have never had a safety issue, and I can appreciate the difference while shooting them.

Like I have said, in ARs right now the stock trigger is the only one of proven reliability, save perhaps for the KAC. The CMC looks like a contender and I want to try 2 or k rounds through it and see how it holds up. I'll have a stock trigger nearby just in case. I have those laying everywhere.

My brother had a stock OAI trigger break on him in a class one time. Nothing is infallible.

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:38:41 PM EDT
[#21]
I have 3 k on my2 stage armalite nm it works fine..
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 7:44:35 PM EDT
[#22]
I have about 3000 on my Jewell and about 500 on my RRA.  Havent had a problem from either.  
I do clean out my Jewell every couple of months tho
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 10:18:18 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Keep in mind the lighter the trigger the more of a chance it will go off if it is dropped.  Finger control doesn't mean shit if you have butter fingers, or your sling comes off.  I've seen plenty of M16's hit the deck.

Actually that is false with 2 stage trigger, even with  a " NM" 2stage trigger .
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 12:42:12 PM EDT
[#24]
The reason is because RRA triggers go single stage and if they do there is not way to do a field repair of the trigger.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:10:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:27:50 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I still replace the disconnector pin though

bigbore,

is this something that can be done after the fact, if an RRA ever does spaz out and lose the 2nd stage?

I don't see mine going south anytime soon, but it'd be nice to know if it could be "brought back"!
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:50:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Even concerning the law, doesn't really matter what the trigger pull is. If my life is on the line, I'll take a day in court over regretting that a family member is dead any day of the week. I believe even with a 2.5# pull, you could be cleared in court. But thats just me.

I never had a pistol over 3#'s, and rifles, for me anyway, are more precision than the pistol necesitating at least half that shaved off. I prefer rifles measured in ounces not pounds. You can imagine my frustration when I got to the military and faced 6# pull on the M-16. I FREAKED cus I couldn't hit a thing. Then I qualified on the M-9, after going twice through the course, because all my first pulls were flyers. I've never been able to get used to the overly high pull weight. I am way less accurate, always pulling the first round, which to me, is much more dangerous especially in defensive actions.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:52:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:56:47 PM EDT
[#29]
I like your fixture.  I could use one of those.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:00:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Ahh!

I understand.

I guess I was trying to see if this is something RRA owners should think about upgrading...

Thanks for the pic!
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 2:04:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 3:28:28 PM EDT
[#32]
1000 rounds through a RRA 2 stage. Not much, but a hard life none the less. The gun gets tossed in container in a Mule, beat around the in the woods, went swimming in a creek with me one time and basically the crap gets beat out of it at least every weekend.

Never had a failure.

Also, the response team for one of the SOs around here all use them and they've never had any trouble either.

I'm thinking RRA just had a bad batch a while back. Happens to the best of us.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top