Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2005 12:33:57 PM EDT
It's been over a year since I ordered my lower half.  I've been saving for months, I blew up my transmission, had to save $3000 to rebuild it.  I'm going to school... but finally, I've bought damn near everything I need.

So, there it is, after I tore open the packaging to find my upper half, threw in the bolt and put it on the upper.  5 minutes later, my mom walks in the door.  It's sitting on the kitchen counter, while I'm looking at my YHM free float tube which also arrived 15 minutes ago.

The look on my mom's face was priceless.  She HATES guns, as in, they disgust her, people who like guns are all crazy and out to kill people.  She probably would have voted for Kerry if he weren't such a tool and she's a Catholic, she won't tell my dad and I who she did vote for.  I know it would have been Nader, but they booted him off the Ohio ballot.

I was forbidden to build an AR-15 before my parents even knew what it was.  Though, I've had some smaller stuff, 22s, bird SG, and a couple other things I bought more recently, while waiting to finish the AR.  I knew my dad would get over it even though he promised to throw it out if he saw it.  He said the same thing with a potato gun, but when I built it at my friend's house and brought it home, he thought it kicked ass.  Then, he liked the lower half I bought over a year ago... liked it even more when I bought my M93A2 and installed it.

The next words out of my mom's mouth were, "Why's it look so ominous?"
I cracked up... "Is this something you're going to use for target practicing?" (she likes the idea of target practice, yet hates guns and thinks the 2nd ammendment is 200 years out of date)
"What is this, the kind of gun gangsters use?"
"Mom... gangsters couldn't affoard one of these."
"So, it's a status thing?"
Arg...

My YHM hand guards came with the barrel nut lubricated with something, but I'm not sure if I still have to go out and buy some moly grease?  It spins perfectly smooth but with resistance (like it were lubed with a really thick grease), it definitely has some sort of really thick grease on it, would it be safe to install, or do I have to drive out to the autoparts store?
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 12:42:50 PM EDT
[#1]
sweet!

use it on the threads of the upper reciever only and not the locking ring.

Q4. I am confused about the moly grease for the upper receiver threads. I cant seem to find any grease that just says "moly grease" on it?

A4. There is a lot of noise about this on the boards. Truth is, you just want a decent grease that will keep the barrel nut from galling, and has a high temperature rating so it wont run out and dissipate over time. It's really not all that important. Any standard wheel bearing grease, available at ANY auto parts store, will do just fine. If you are extremely anal, just buy this grease from Bushmaster: www.bushmaster.com/shopping/lowers/ms-100.asp

taken from the tacked diy thread in the build it yourself section
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:13:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Optic, mags & ammo you should be in business! Oh & don't forget a safe if you don't have one already. Don't want mom handing it over to the Brady Bunch!
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:19:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks awesome!
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:44:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Very cool, but won't target practice be a little tough without a rear sight?

ETA: Looks like it will be difficult to charge too
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:18:19 AM EDT
[#5]
tell your mom the reason it look so ominous is because that is the way the movies have portrayed these weapons, ex Die Hard, any of them have the bad guys using them, Terminator, Predator, etc...

Show her a pic of an M1 Garand and ask her impression... tell her because of the media hype about how "good WW2" was. (No war is good.... some just necessary)
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:30:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Nice rifle.

Max
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:47:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Tell her that it's ominous to her because she has repressed racial biases and fears about anything black.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 2:25:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Confucious say you need charging handle...
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:53:59 AM EDT
[#9]
My sister in law has the same attitude. She always asks why I NEED so many guns, and in this condescending tone like I'm some sort of freak. This question comes from a woman who has no den because her bird cages take up the whole den for her 5 exotic parrots. I've taken to reponding with, "Why do you have so many birds?" using the same tone, as if to imply she's gonna be that old maid "bird lady" on the block that all the kids talk about.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:01:31 AM EDT
[#10]

"What is this, the kind of gun gangsters use?"
"Mom... gangsters couldn't affoard one of these."

LOL
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:07:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Looking great so far!
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:33:24 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
My sister in law has the same attitude. She always asks why I NEED so many guns, and in this condescending tone like I'm some sort of freak. This question comes from a woman who has no den because her bird cages take up the whole den for her 5 exotic parrots. I've taken to reponding with, "Why do you have so many birds?" using the same tone, as if to imply she's gonna be that old maid "bird lady" on the block that all the kids talk about.

So, what, prey tell, is she going to do if she finds someone in her house at 3 in the morning???   Pick up a parrot, point the south end at the bad guy and squeeze?????

While admittedly disgusting, I doubt it would deter a person intent on doing harm!

YOU however, are very close to being a force to be reckoned with.  (I agree however, that it will be one heck of alot easier to shoot with a charging handle

Doc
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:12:28 PM EDT
[#13]
once you get it loaded, never run it dry!

You don't need no stinking charging handle!
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:05:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Just tell her a fear of weapons is a sign of sexual immaturity according to Freud. Ask her how you were concieved?  

Seriously, just tell her it's the media bias against them and a hunting rifle cartridge has much more power then the one's used in your AR.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:03:56 PM EDT
[#15]
Well, I did get my charging handle the next day, ammo on Friday.  I shot it on Sunday and it kicked ass... except my handguard was crooked and I couldn't sight it in, now it's straight, I might take it out this weekend if I can find somewhere to shoot.

It's done... well, even more done would be if MagPul rail pannels didn't cost $12 each, and I need 7 to cover the whole front end.  What a rip.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:26:40 PM EDT
[#16]
man that is purdy.but hate to tell ya...magpul shit is what ya need!like winter trigger guard ranger plates and anti tilt followers... oh and tell mom it's a requirement to keep your man card!
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:41:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Nicely done
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:53:30 PM EDT
[#18]
You are now a certified gangster!
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:54:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Haha oh man that was a good read...the gangster line cracked me up!

That is a nice rifle man...congrats.

I have to agree with Mrrick...Magpul stuff is where its at. I'll never use another stock trigger guard...magpul trigger guard all the way.

For rail covers you should check out KAC rails if you like the look of them. They are my personal fav.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:58:30 PM EDT
[#20]
HA! This thread is awesome. Anyways, just get a 3 rail covers for 3, 6 and 9 o'clock right in front of the magwell, you don't have to cover the rest.
Good lookin' rifle.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:59:34 PM EDT
[#21]
I like it.

Has a different look to it.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:06:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:10:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Very sweet rifle.

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:25:37 AM EDT
[#24]
3 things

1 - great looking rifle
2 - have your mom shoot it, she may find it fun
3 - if that fails...move out?----J/k

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:34:47 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I couldn't sight it in,

how's the elevation? did you boresight it prior to going to the range?

Well, the rail was crooked, now I have it right.  I guess by boresight, you mean look down the bore and align the sights?  I did that, and that's how I realized it was so off.  It should be dead on now... I'll probably take it out this weekend.

Quoted:
3 things

1 - great looking rifle
2 - have your mom shoot it, she may find it fun
3 - if that fails...move out?----J/k

1: Thanks.
2: She shot my .22s once, only because I kept demanding that she shoot them before we left the range (back before I was old enough to drive there myself).
3: If I moved out, I wouldn't have the money for more guns... though, then, I woudlnt' have to hear all the "Where'd you get the money for that thing?" or, "How much money do you have saved up for school?"
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:35:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Next time try wood furniture.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:57:36 PM EDT
[#27]
I know how you feel man.  When I first brough my Bushy home my mom freaked out and asked how I could bring an assault rifle into her home.  My dad sided with her until the weekend and we both went shooting and now he doesn't mind; just as long as I keep the ammo locked up which doesn't make sense to me.... But their house their rules I suppose.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top