Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/7/2005 11:07:07 PM EDT
I have a lower that i bought in 2000 and it is just laying dormant.

While crusing GD i came across a post about a person in a AWB state and how it is a pain in the ass for them to get good deals because of markup.

long story short i have a SGW lower i would be interested in "letting go"

I have never sold a rifle. I traded one to my brother and it was a horrible feeling. I still miss that rifle!( however i still see the rifle on occasion and it isn't so bad.)  But i do not know how to legally sell a rifle to another state for a transfer to a state that has a AWB.

So here is a list of questions:

How do i ship a reciever to a state with a AWB?

Do I need anything else other than a copy of my dealers FFL to send along with the receiver?

Do i just take it to my FFL and have him send it?

Thanks
T955i

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 12:34:09 AM EDT
[#1]
All interstate transfers must go thru a licensed FFL for the person receiving the item.  You the seller need not use an FFL to ship as it would add more transfer fees unless the dealer in the other state is being an ass and only accepts private transfers from other FFLs.

You can ship via any common carrier.  UPS, FEDEX, or USPS.  You should declare the item at the counter and insure it accordingly.  Do not put any markings on the package indicating it is a gun.  Most carriers will require you ship overnight, next day, etc. so fewer hands will supposedly handle said item.  Personally, I have great luck with USPS and they are available everywhere unlike the other two.  I have heard many horror stories about stuff being stolen, particulalry with UPS.

The buyer should make arrangements with the dealer to accept the package.  I usually ask for a file copy of the receiving FFL's license for my personal records.  Include a letter identifying yourself, the make, model, serial number, caliber of the gun, who it is being transferred to, extra items included (mags, parts. etc) and contact information for yourself and the buyer.  Few dealers, for state tax reasons, also require a value be declared.

The process overall is not bad.

HTH
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:05:06 AM EDT
[#2]
I can remember having a discussion here over a year ago about the fact pre-AWBs should be "documented."  The best documentation is from the factory that it left there as a whole, complete, with all the extra deadly features type of rifle.  Other documentation that would help could include a letter from the original owner saying they built it before the ban (if it came from the factory as a receiver only).  Then there is something about having all the evil features when you transfer it to the new owner in the ban state.  If the evil receiver goes to the new owner without the evil features, it then becomes a post-ban weapon.  

Also remember some states, California comes to mind, have bans that required registration of the evil weapons and therefore legal pre-bans from other states can't be imported...

Overall, those laws all suck...

Spooky
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:17:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Basically,

I package the receiver, take it to USPS and declare it as "forged aluminum parts" to his FFL.

Do i need to include a copy of my dealers FFL along with the rifle??

I ask this because i received a rifle at my FFL and he would not release it without a copy of his dealers FFL or more personal information.

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 7:52:17 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I can remember having a discussion here over a year ago about the fact pre-AWBs should be "documented."  The best documentation is from the factory that it left there as a whole, complete, with all the extra deadly features type of rifle.  Other documentation that would help could include a letter from the original owner saying they built it before the ban (if it came from the factory as a receiver only).  Then there is something about having all the evil features when you transfer it to the new owner in the ban state.  If the evil receiver goes to the new owner without the evil features, it then becomes a post-ban weapon.  

Also remember some states, California comes to mind, have bans that required registration of the evil weapons and therefore legal pre-bans from other states can't be imported...

Overall, those laws all suck...

Spooky

On that note, though not necessarilly and completely the same, somewhat pertinent?: I emailed California last week, this was their reply. They sound pretty adamant about it. All I wanted to know was since they had a registration period and it ended for citizens of the state in 2003(?), if a person who lawfully purchased rifle from another state as a citizen of the same, could he bring it with him, (edit: if they were moving to CA)and register it...

xxxxx:  In response to your e-mail, a firearm considered to be an
assault weapon under California law cannot be imported into California
whether you bought it legally in another State or not.  It must be left
outside California and cannot be brought with you when moving here.

David A. Witt, Field Representative
Department of Justice
Firearms Division
(916) 263-8180
--------------

Link Posted: 9/8/2005 8:26:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Friendly in CA.. Arent they....
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:18:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Friendly in CA.. Arent they....

NO!
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 12:34:36 AM EDT
[#7]

Yup... it pretty much sucks to own 'evil' type rifles here in Cali.  If you didn't registered it back in '03, you are SOL hat

~dc
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top