Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2005 2:18:31 PM EDT
Hey guys.....

How many of you Shoot Wolf Ammo in your AR's ,   I got in some of the new Polymer  coating Wolf  and was  checking to see if there was any problems with shooting it... ???

I  have always been  more picky when it comes to my AR ..... but looking at the ammo it seems to be pretty well made....I shoot wolf in my AK's with out even thinking twice.....

I have heard it will wear out your Extractor faster because its steel case....???? any problems

The main reason I bought it was of course the price and to have a extra 1000 rounds for back-up ammo...

INFO

Thanks
Pappy
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 2:26:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Not good back up ammo, just good practice ammo.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 2:26:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:02:14 PM EDT
[#3]
10.7k worth of Wolf in my M4!
plan on adding another 2k next week!
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:04:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Cycles fine, it's a tad dirtier than other brands...not as accurate.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:10:55 PM EDT
[#5]
how much does an extractor cost?that price vs cost savings buying wolf over other ammo in case quantity is lop sided.for every case of wolf you could buy at least 1 extractor.I have not purchased that individual part but hell it cant be but a few bucks.right?
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:16:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I've gone through a case of the new polymer coated Wolf with no problems.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:16:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Its good stuff for plinking.  The only problem is that you need to clean your weapon a little more often.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:28:42 PM EDT
[#8]
I've used it for plinking, do have extra extractors,but never had to replaced one yet.

j
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:38:03 PM EDT
[#9]
On account of the fact that Wolf is getting more expensive, I've compiled some salient points for you to consider:

-It'll eat up your extractor, because everyone knows casing steel is exactly as hard as the steel in your gun parts.
-It jams. Not once every couple thousand rounds, but more like every other round. You'll cry.
-It's dirty; so much so that the EPA will designate your rifle a superfund project.
-It smells bad, and lingers forever. Your wife will leave you. The judge will grant full custody of your kids to her, instead of your smelly ass.
-It will cause your truck to break down.
-It will run over your dog.
-It will give you cancer.

To conclude, don't buy Wolf.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:54:16 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
On account of the fact that Wolf is getting more expensive, I've compiled some salient points for you to consider:

-It'll eat up your extractor, because everyone knows casing steel is exactly as hard as the steel in your gun parts.
-It jams. Not once every couple thousand rounds, but more like every other round. You'll cry.
-It's dirty; so much so that the EPA will designate your rifle a superfund project.
-It smells bad, and lingers forever. Your wife will leave you. The judge will grant full custody of your kids to her, instead of your smelly ass.
-It will cause your truck to break down.
-It will run over your dog.
-It will give you cancer.

To conclude, don't buy Wolf.

+1

He's right, it will run over your dog
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:02:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I am a cheap sob-bought a used Olympic  carbine and have sent about 5000 rounds through it (Wolf Polymer) at about $100 per case and no problems. However as is the case with many of the folks on this site the disease is now terminal and  my next purchase will be  a home build. Seems like the logical thing (and fun) given cost savings  and all the available resources at thi site. Sorry for the rambling and as others have said-just my 2 cents
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:07:25 PM EDT
[#12]
I had an UZI blow up with Wolf 45 Amo,  I think someone else around here had an AR blow up with it,  I still use it,  nobody's perfect,  which they did replace the barrel and pay to have the weapon fixed.  
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:15:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:24:28 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I had an UZI blow up with Wolf 45 Amo,  I think someone else around here had an AR blow up with it,  I still use it,  nobody's perfect,  which they did replace the barrel and pay to have the weapon fixed.  

Most of my Post ARE ,or even worse meant to screw with people.. so grab your boots.

OK, so is this BS or not?

But anyway, I've used lots of Wolf, 9mm and .223, with zero problems.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:33:19 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:39:45 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Cycles fine, it's a tad dirtier than other brands...not as accurate.

Perfect! No more needs to be said other than it's really good for plinking, which can be derived from the quote.

Shoot it up, it's good stuff. Just be prepared to clean it up too. You'll have alot of cases left over and a dirty gun that needs to be cleaned.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:53:01 PM EDT
[#17]
So I haven’t been out shooting it in a long time and haven’t added to the round count on this guy for some time. My Bushmaster A2 has had 4500 rounds through it and not been cleaned. The last 3040 rounds have been Wolf. Of that, the first 1000 rounds of Wolf were the old green colored cases and the remaining 2030 rounds were the newer stuff in the grey cases. I didn’t start out thinking that I’m going to run the rifle through some kind of torture test, things just wound up with the rifle seeing more and more shooting without being cleaned and here we are. The thing is filthy dirty to be sure, but it’s still running just fine. I think Wolf ammunition is dirtier than most others so I won’t shoot it through my suppressed arf, but I’ve shot it through all my other ARs and it works just fine.

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:53:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Over 1k rounds through my M4gery.  It's dirty as hell and less accurate than surplus, but it goes bang every time.  Great plinking ammo, but I wouldn't take it for self-defense or to a serious training class.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:58:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Sorry, don't shoot it in my ARs, ask me about my AK tho.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:07:07 PM EDT
[#20]
I hope everyone stops shooting Wolf ammo, theyle go down on price and it will be more for me to shoot.

TG
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:23:03 PM EDT
[#21]
In my M4, I had zero failures. But, it was dirty, inaccurate, and underpowered. Basically, I'll stick to handloading which gives me the same expense as Wolf but better ammo.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:24:46 PM EDT
[#22]
As far as I've been able to see, Wolf ammo-at least the new stuff-is just dirtier than your basic Winchester white-box stuff (and maybe not as consistent, too).  With the relative price difference being pretty close, it comes down to whether it's worth my time cleaning all the extra soot out of my rifle.  So far Winchester wins out...
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 6:28:48 PM EDT
[#23]
3k through 2 ARs (RRA/MEGA build, stock BUSHMASTER)--0 malfunctions

would not use it for anything beyond the range
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:22:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Awe, here we go again,

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:35:45 PM EDT
[#25]
^^^^^^^^^
really unnecessary.

Link Posted: 9/6/2005 7:40:31 PM EDT
[#26]
I'd guess 5000-6000 through 4 AR's and only a handful of malfunctions.

Over 4K through my AK and only a few issues. No chamber brush and only one stuck case. recently, about 2300-2400rds with no cleaning and it's still percolating along.

My AK will never.....ever.......ever see a brass-cased round.....ever.

Think about the extractor this way. You save $70 or so per case of Wolf. You can buy many extractors for that money. Pile on top of that that you will have quite a few cases through your rifle by the time the extractor MIGHT becaome a problem, you will have already saved enough money to buy another friggen rifle.

Ammo snobs suck.

I've had pretty good results lately with the accuracy from Wolf. I had a 5 shot group at 50yds that was about an inch wide while zeroing my EOTech, so I think it is underrated.  IMHO, of course.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 10:42:08 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
 I have heard it will wear out your Extractor faster because its steel case....???? any problems
Thanks
Pappy

I have 12K+ rounds of Wolf on my extractor, still works fine.  Hell, the extractor has lasted longer than the bolt (broke 2 lugs).

Oh, and be sure to check out the Ammunition Forum.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:11:47 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Over 4K through my AK and only a few issues. No chamber brush and only one stuck case. recently, about 2300-2400rds with no cleaning and it's still percolating along.

Think about the extractor this way. You save $70 or so per case of Wolf. You can buy many extractors for that money. Pile on top of that that you will have quite a few cases through your rifle by the time the extractor MIGHT becaome a problem, you will have already saved enough money to buy another friggen rifle.

Ammo snobs suck.

I've had pretty good results lately with the accuracy from Wolf. I had a 5 shot group at 50yds that was about an inch wide while zeroing my EOTech, so I think it is underrated.  IMHO, of course.

WIZZO

why?  My AK has seen many brass cases.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 11:24:44 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Ammo snobs suck.

WIZZO

AMEN brother!
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:54:12 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
^^^^^^^^^
really unnecessary.

No shit, that's worse than another post about Wolf. Jeesh.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:22:16 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

why?  My AK has seen many brass cases.

My AK is cheap and I'm cheaper.

I haven't found any brass-cased stuff close to the price of Wolf, but I might not have been looking hard enough. Just my opinion. Besides, I'm just using it for plinking around the farm. If I had it set up for HD, I'd have something better than Wolf in it.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 6:29:05 AM EDT
[#32]
I've shot Wolf with zero problems (the 62 gr. variety).

Buy it for plinking.

Any cheaper (such as Silver Bear) and I've had nothing but problems.  FTE's and FTF's with a clean rifle.  My .02.
rob
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:09:46 AM EDT
[#33]
Over 5000 rounds in my bushmaster, about 2500 of that has been wolf. Old and new. I've had a few FTF but I put that up to a really dirty rifle or bad mag. Its cheap, dirty and goes bang evey time. I have had a few neck cases break, but didn't know that till I went to pick up brass and found a few. They were 62gr HP. I still have 1500 rounds of 62gr left and plan on shooting that and buying more.

If I want good SHTF ammo I'll buy blackhills, X193, M855 etc..
If I'm going to plink, give me wolf all day long.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top