Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2005 1:03:34 AM EDT
I was just curious.....but is it bad to buy a complete rifle that someone put together from a kit???

I only ask because i have found a couple for sale in the EE that were put together from a kit and most are going for pretty decent prices.

So i was just wondering if its a good idea to get a complete rifle this way.

thanx,

Eycee*                          
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:08:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Buy it!
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:17:44 AM EDT
[#2]
It mostly depends on what brand the parts and receivers are as well as how well it was assembled. With a name brand factory rifle, you know what you're getting (mostly) and most should be fine. With a kit gun, who knows.

That being said, if the price is right, it may be worth a gamble and most problems can be fixed if needed. If all parts are name brand (Colt, Armalite, RRA etc) it "should" run well if assembled correctly. Clear as Mud?
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:32:20 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
It mostly depends on what brand the parts and receivers are as well as how well it was assembled. With a name brand factory rifle, you know what you're getting (mostly) and most should be fine. With a kit gun, who knows.

That being said, if the price is right, it may be worth a gamble and most problems can be fixed if needed. If all parts are name brand (Colt, Armalite, RRA etc) it "should" run well if assembled correctly. Clear as Mud?

Specs:
JTDistributing DS-4 kit - chrome lined barrel and Colt M4 handguards
Stag lower
6 position buttstock
USGI sling
Leapers T168 scope....cheap and works great for plinking, Optics are clear and holds its zero just fine
Leapers Tactical 38" case
2 30rd. mags

he wants $675 but im working on getting him closer to $600

What do you think???

Eycee*                
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 1:46:42 AM EDT
[#4]
It can be.

I bought a Pre-Ban Bushy while the Ban was still in effect.  The person who put the kit together did a bad job.
When I took it to the range I would often get slam-fires.  While I normally got just one round at a time downrange, more often than not two rounds would be fired.  Occasionally three rounds would be fired.
And the Selector would only do the SAFE/SEMI positions.  I could not move the Selector beyond SEMI.

So I took the Bushmaster to a Good Gunsmith.
I forget exactly what he did.  But basically he tightened almost everything up.  Including the gas tube.  I had to completely re-zero the rifle.
The kit was very sloppily put together.

So if you buy a rifle that was made from a kit I strongly recommend that you have a very competent Gunsmith check it over before you shoot a single round.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 3:49:35 AM EDT
[#5]
$600 sounds good

if he has good feedback i would buy it if i wanted one. my main issue is not if the gun is a lemon but is the seller one.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:47:26 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
It can be.

I bought a Pre-Ban Bushy while the Ban was still in effect.  The person who put the kit together did a bad job.
When I took it to the range I would often get slam-fires.  While I normally got just one round at a time downrange, more often than not two rounds would be fired.  Occasionally three rounds would be fired.
And the Selector would only do the SAFE/SEMI positions.  I could not move the Selector beyond SEMI.

So I took the Bushmaster to a Good Gunsmith.
I forget exactly what he did.  But basically he tightened almost everything up.  Including the gas tube.  I had to completely re-zero the rifle.
The kit was very sloppily put together.

What?  I understand the doubling portion, but you lost me on the rest.....
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 8:16:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Hey Eycee,

You realize that that kit has a bayo lug, FH, and collapsible stock, right?

If it's built on a Stag lower, it's probably not a pre-ban.

Just thought I'd throw that idea out there.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:30:14 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Hey Eycee,

You realize that that kit has a bayo lug, FH, and collapsible stock, right?

If it's built on a Stag lower, it's probably not a pre-ban.

Just thought I'd throw that idea out there.

WIZZO

So is that good thing or a bad one WIZZO????.................lol.........just wondering..

Eycee*                  
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:33:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:33:05 AM EDT
[#10]
I think he means its illegal in your state.  You have to have it sent to a FFL, who probably wouldn't do the transfer once it came in and he saw it was a non-compliant weapon.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:33:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Got me by 2 seconds....
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:43:24 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I think he means its illegal in your state.  You have to have it sent to a FFL, who probably wouldn't do the transfer once it came in and he saw it was a non-compliant weapon.  

How would i know if it's a pre-ban???

I'm allowed to have a Pre-ban in N.Y. right??

thanks,

Eycee*
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:47:57 AM EDT
[#13]
you're allowed to have a postban but it won't have a flash hider, collapsible stock or bayo lug...  You could buy a preban lower on the EE and have all the above features but this comes at a price...
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:49:53 AM EDT
[#14]
i thought i was allowed to have 2 of the so called "Evil Features"???

Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:59:34 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Yup, and unless you want to give up the pistol grip or the detachable mags, you're out of luck on the collapseable stocks, bayo lugs, and flash suppressors.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:16:54 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How would i know if it's a pre-ban???

I'm allowed to have a Pre-ban in N.Y. right??

thanks,

Eycee*

Its a Stag lower, and none of them are pre-ban.

Sorry that your state is the way it is.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:29:35 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Here it is 11* years after the ban and people STILL haven't actually read the law...

*Though NY hasn't had the law for 11years as it's modeled on the Federal one it reads the same.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:55:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:59:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:01:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 11:03:24 AM EDT
[#21]
I would have no problem buying a kit rifle from someone else.  In fact, I've done it.

Just make sure to function check it and in general give it a once or twice over.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 2:44:21 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Here it is 11* years after the ban and people STILL haven't actually read the law...

*Though NY hasn't had the law for 11years as it's modeled on the Federal one it reads the same.

There are plenty of gun dealers and leos that don't know anything about NY's AWB. There are TONS of illegal guns and magazines for sale at the gunshows here. One dealer was even told to remove his illegal stuff by a (I heard) off duty police officer. He then put them back, they ended up arresting him on many felony charges. No great loss as he was a price gouging prick who kept telling NYers that they could put collapsible stocks etc on their post ban guns.

Aimless where here in N.Y. is good to buy an AR???

And when and where in N.Y. are there gun shows?..........i have yet to hear about one.

Where in N.Y. are you from by the way??

thanx,

Eycee*                      
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top