Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2005 12:43:09 AM EDT
ok i was told that a 16" barrell is a good all around shooter for targets and hunting aswell.

I am a left handed shooter and have always shot right handed guns but i was just offered a 20" DPMS HBAR southpaw complete upper for $500, so i am curious to know if a 20" is better then a 16" barrell......and if there would be a great difference if i was to get a left handed upper compared to a right handed??

here are some pics of the 20" DPMS HBAR Southpaw complete upper.........do you think its a good deal??

thanks,

Eycee*              
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:19:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Not sure if I could comment on the "good deal" part but want to ask a lefty question.....

I am also a natural left-handed shooter (left handed, period)

but my dominant eye is my right. I found this out using my ACOG (never had a reason to check before)

If you are going w/optics, the left hander receiver is a waste and un-necessary

For the record I shoot quite well right handed, and it is not an un-natural feel at all.

Others have the same?

Eycee?
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:26:47 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Not sure if I could comment on the "good deal" part but want to ask a lefty question.....

but my dominant eye is my right. I found this out using my ACOG (never had a reason to check before)

For the record I shoot quite well right handed, and it is not an un-natural feel at all.

Others have the same?

Eycee?

I dont shoot right handed........i shoot lefty using righty rifles.........so when i shoot the shell ejects across my face......so i was wondering if it made a huge differene if i was to shoot with a left handed rifle so the shell ejects to the left.

What about your opinon on the barrell size??

thanx,

Eycee*                      
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:35:16 AM EDT
[#3]
I am right handed and right eye dominate. But I can shoot just as well left handed. Got used to shooting paintball markers left handed when I played tournaments. Picked up my rifle one day and tried left handed and I was just as good. Suprised me.

If you practice enough you can get good both ways.

BTW shooting lefty with a right handed upper is fine. And you could get a right handed version in the barrel length you want for less than 500$ new.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 11:00:49 AM EDT
[#4]
A couple points to ponder.

First off, most modern AR-15 upper receivers have a shell deflector right behind the ejection port. It was put there for the sole purpose of allowing left handed shooters to shoot these rifles without getting hit by flying brass.

Secondly, barrel length will mainly affect 2 things. Velocity, and range. If you plan to shoot past 300yd regularly, and don't need the shorter, lighter carbine, go with the 20". It will serve you well. But, if you want a general all around good rifle that can still make the long shots, but with a little less velocity at those ranges, get yourself a 16". It will serve you just as well, and be more useful in tight areas.

Just keep in mind, that if you want to make the long range shots, get yourself a rifle designed to do that.  The 5.56 round is a great short to medium range round, and can occasionally (depending on the shooter) make a long (400-500y) shot. For extended long range, get yourself a .308 or better.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Others have the same?

Eycee?

I dont shoot right handed........i shoot lefty using righty rifles.........so when i shoot the shell ejects across my face......so i was wondering if it made a huge differene if i was to shoot with a left handed rifle so the shell ejects to the left.

What about your opinon on the barrell size??

thanx,

Eycee*                      

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:55:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I shoot lefty, and my right handed ARs work just fine. The 16" is a better all-around rifle. I do not consider a DPMS 20" HBAR a good deal at $500.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 2:42:22 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
What about your opinion on the barrel size??

I am a big fan of the 16 for th reasons Zack3g gave. My shooting is inside 300 - mostly within 100 - so I don't need the extra velocity and range that the 20"er offers

If I had only one - it would be a 16.

re: the shell deflector, it should keep the brass out of your face. If not, try shooting with the gun slightly out in front of you (vs where it is now- likely more to your left) A very subtle difference in your grip/stance will alter the trajectory of flying brass.

HTH
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 7:49:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Hey Eycee,
As a fellow true south paw I have been looking into building a lefty AR.  I have an AR15 & AR10 in right hand and have never been hit with brass.
That being said, I am going to build out a Stag Arms Lefty flat top.  I wanted another rifle and since this looks like a solid well build rifle why not.  I would not pay $500 for a used DPMS.  You can put together or buy a new Stag lefty for a little more.
In the past there wasn't much of a choice but now there is.  After seeing a friend's Stag rifle (righty) the quality was excellent.  Check out their link on sponsers above.  Also, see industry partners site for Eagle Arms.  Good guys for Stag lefty.
Remember more President of the US have been left handed than right handed.  Don't compromise!
Good Luck!
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:05:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm also a Southpaw who is right eye dominant.........when I had my AR, the only complaint I had was that the gas would sometimes give me a good smack in the face. Never really that big of a deal, because I NEVER shoot without eye protection.......the only thing I had trouble with was the bolt stop....but an extended lever solved that problem.
I personally don't really see the need to spend the extra $$ on a dedicated lefty upper.....I see it as more of a novelty.
You want to have some fun, you right handed guys need to shoot a K-31 left-handed........didn't realize it spit the brass strait up till I ejected the 1st round and had hot brass bounce off the rim of my hat and go between my glasses and forehead.....OUCH!!!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top