User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2005 6:38:40 PM EDT
Does this look normal??

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:41:31 PM EDT
[#1]
My pin looked like that after about 2500 rounds.

I replaced all my pins with these old style retainers, rock solid.

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:41:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Uhem....it's "COTTER" not "cooter"...as cooter can be two things...neither one of which has a dang thing to do with AR parts. LOL!!!!
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:16:08 PM EDT
[#3]
No, it is not normal.  The firing pin retaining pin should take little to no load, and they are far more likely to be damaged by improper installation than by use in a properly functioning rifle.  

My first guess would be that you have a M16 firing pin installed in a cut semi-auto carrier, and the hammer is rubbing the firing pin on each cycle, causing it to be dragged hard into the retaining pin.

The solid, machined firing pin retainer was replaced by the military for a reason.  It is far more prone to breakage than the cotter pin, and would likely shatter in short order if installed into a abusive rifle such as yours currently is.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:27:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Does this look normal??

home.comcast.net/~stgfal/pin2.JPG

home.comcast.net/~stgfal/pin.JPG

Not normal, not even close.

Just out of curiousity, what rifle is that from?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:37:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

www.brownells.com/Images/Products/231000005a.jpg

I also use these pins in my carriers. I love them. They are easy to put in and take out. Very solid. A nice upgrade part in my book.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:38:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Kit gun on Stinger lower

How do I tell the diffrence between a 15 pin and a 16??
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:39:39 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Kit gun on Stinger lower

Whose kit?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:40:37 PM EDT
[#8]
The hammer is catching on the spool of the FP causing it to impact the cotter key.

not normal.

I went to a fully shrouded BC to solve this problem.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:41:35 PM EDT
[#9]
JT
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:42:36 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.brownells.com/Images/Products/231000005a.jpg

I also use these pins in my carriers. I love them. They are easy to put in and take out. Very solid. A nice upgrade part in my book.

I don't care for them myself, but regardless of if they work well, in my estimation that still would not stop the problem of the load on the firing pin retaining pin. Repeated wear like that, no matter what pin you have, is eventually going to cause a failure or malfunction of some type. I would advise you to post this in the troubleshooting section and let Tweak have a crack at it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:43:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Could this cause FTE?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:47:44 PM EDT
[#12]
check here

and look under "damage to fireing pin retaining pin"

this will get you started on the right track.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:10:59 PM EDT
[#13]
I think this damage can be common in rifles with AR15 style carriers, because of the way the hammer can "catch" on the firing pin.  One of mine is also slightly bent.  So far the one in my AR with a M16-ish (fully shrouded firing pin) looks OK.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:44:50 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Someone else here posted this pic of one of those rock solid Perma Pins:
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:11:37 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Someone else here posted this pic of one of those rock solid Perma Pins:
tinyurl.com/6uugp

I've seen guns snap those "rock solid" pins.  HOWEVER that is not the fault of the pin.  As has been stated, most likely, the shooter in question has an open backed carrier and most likely a notched hammer that is draggin sharply on the firing pin.  Anyone who is getting bent COTTER ( hee hee...cooter! ) pins will have the same issue with a solid.  Best fixes are "full circle" carriers or hammer that do not have the "drag" notch.  or both.....
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:15:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Agreed on all counts that the bent pin is a real problem that needs to be fixed.

Agreed on the fact that the perma-pin is not the solution to this particular problem.

Not exactly sure what the issue is, though.

I run shrouded carriers and flat topped hammers and don't have this issue.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:55:41 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Agreed on all counts that the bent pin is a real problem that needs to be fixed.

Agreed on the fact that the perma-pin is not the solution to this particular problem.

Another argument for use of the M16 carrier IMO.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:34:24 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Another argument for use of the M16 carrier IMO.

Yep, or at a minimum, a shrouded carrier.  The M16 carrier makes thing run smoother, IMO.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top