BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/28/2005 3:34:06 PM EDT
I've been kidding myself that I haven't been getting sand blaster by my AR. I'm finally ready to consider a gas buster.

Is it worth it?

Are there more than one type?

Which one should I get?

Where should I get it?

How much should it cost?

Many thanks!

Bomber

PS If there are any typos it's because I can't see
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:42:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:50:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:57:48 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I've been kidding myself that I haven't been getting sand blaster by my AR. I'm finally ready to consider a gas buster.
Is it worth it?
Are there more than one type?
Which one should I get?
Where should I get it?
How much should it cost?
Many thanks!
Bomber
PS If there are any typos it's because I can't see

Nay. Run a bead of silicon along your $20 charging handle and spend the money on practice ammo.

Thanks for the candor. Can  you give me a little more detail?

Bomber

PS This is going to come accross as gratuitous but, Your customer service is excellent. I bought a decked out SPR upper from you last summer.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 3:59:07 PM EDT
[#4]
I wouldn't buy the complete Gas Buster carry handle but I always equip my ARs with the PRI Big Latch. Yes, it does nothing to divert gases away from my face but it does make it easier to charge the weapon.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 4:33:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 4:38:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Yes...I have them on my weapons and prefer the heavier construction as well as the latch, as well as the gas diversion.

ADCO's suggestions looks like a good gas diversion method, but I have seen too many bent charging handles in my short time shooting.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:03:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I think it's a good buy. I used one during our Blackwater course. Now I need two more.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:08:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Mine do not divert gas as one would hope.
They do handle noticeably better.  They do not wear the latch recess in the lower like some.
These are very well made.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:36:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:39:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:43:35 PM EDT
[#11]
I thought the standard CH with a PRI Big Weenie was good enough until someone showed me Push-Pull-Rack-Roll.  Then I realized that a stronger charging handle actually serves a purpose.  I'll likely never need that procedure in real life, only in my commando wannabee life, but if I ever do need it, knowing that the Gas Buster is there will make me fell better about it, anyway.  I have them installed on the rifles that matter.

If you have gas issues, it may help there also, but if that's all you have, the silicone works very well.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:51:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:55:18 PM EDT
[#13]
Silicone works great, but add a  thin strip of storm-door weatherproffing for even more protection against backblast.

Link Posted: 8/28/2005 5:57:45 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yes...I have them on my weapons and prefer the heavier construction as well as the latch, as well as the gas diversion.
ADCO's suggestions looks like a good gas diversion method, but I have seen too many bent charging handles in my short time shooting.

I guess  I'm the only one whose never seen a bent/cracked charging handle.  Whats actually bending/breaking?

At Blackwater there were two in our one class.  At a machinegun shoot in the spring there was another one.

At a AR15.com shoot in the previous fall another shooter had one bent up from stuck brass.

I have seen the actual handle torqued over so that pulling the handle out was so difficult that it took two grown men and some mechanical impliments.

To me, three charging handles being bent in my short time shooting AR's is "too many".

I've also heard secondhand of a couple more.

Since I have bad luck, I'll go with hefty parts in this application.  Just me....
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:00:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:37:51 PM EDT
[#16]
1.  I have a Suppressed upper that blows copious amounts of gas back into my face

2.  Got tired and sent $90.00 to Wes @ MSTN- received PRI Gas Buster the next day

3.  Shot it today, unsuppressed- started having a few FTF issues (I haven't cleaned this upper for about 2000 rounds) and squirted CLP (large amount) into the upper and pulled the trigger.

4.  This normally results in a spray of Excss CLP and smoke into my face:  It didn't here.  The PRI Gas Buster Rocks!  It does what they say it will do and it does it well!
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 6:41:47 PM EDT
[#17]
the silicone trick looks intresting but isnt the gas buster beefier at the bottom too?

the storm weatherstripping doesnt look to strudy
i havent had no problems with the std. charging handle with the pri latch, there has been a few instances after about 1-2k of shooting in one sitting where it would start blowing gas in my face but its not bad enough to warrant the need of the gasbuster.

one day soon i might feel the need
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 9:41:09 PM EDT
[#18]
OK, so I am about to get a piston upper so gas in the face is not an issue.  Would you sell the Gas Buster and get a standard charging handle with PRI latch if you were me and use the extra money on ammo or would you keep the Gas Buster because its stronger and wider than regular even if you will never need the gas busting feature?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 11:44:48 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
OK, so I am about to get a piston upper so gas in the face is not an issue.  Would you sell the Gas Buster and get a standard charging handle with PRI latch if you were me and use the extra money on ammo or would you keep the Gas Buster because its stronger and wider than regular even if you will never need the gas busting feature?

if you already have it then keep it. but if you plan on getting one then dont.

me personally if i had one already i would keep it for future builds if gas in the face is not a problem.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 2:53:13 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Or you could just sell it to me.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:06:40 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

You could start you own thread and not hijack mine. I'm looking for advise on wether to get one or not. Now if your recommending I buy one and yours is for sale, then that is another story.

Bomber
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:16:54 AM EDT
[#22]

the storm weatherstripping doesnt look to strudy

I've done it to all my ARs...It's so rugged, I'd consder it overkill. the silicone and weatherstrip is waterproof, & holds up to everything including Hoppes, simple green, etc. I'm not saying it'll last forever, but it has lasted me the past 4 1/2 months...with no signs of wear and tear.

It's not exactly an area with a lot of moving parts. Other than to chamber my first round, I don't really touch my CH. (unless I shoot Wolf )
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 3:25:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:01:27 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You could start you own thread and not hijack mine. I'm looking for advise on wether to get one or not. Now if your recommending I buy one and yours is for sale, then that is another story.

Bomber

I think I will keep mine as I regretted selling the last one.  I reccomend getting one as it works to reduce (not eliminate) crap in your face.  I still cry with a suppressor from gas but oil and crap does not fly into my eyes or glasses.  Its significantly wider at the handle (not just the latch) and easier to grab.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 6:25:20 AM EDT
[#25]
I dremeled my stock CH so that it has similar gas grooves as the gas buster, sans the CH latch. So far I haven't experienced any "powder" in the face.

I'd get the gas buster if the whole package were $30 or less. $90 is an exorbitant price.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:00:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Bro, I have two of these, you know why I run them. You can borrow one for a while if you'd like, see if its worth your money............Udog
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:23:39 AM EDT
[#27]
Tag for reference on caulking/weatherstripping...  Those qualify as Honey-Do's don't they?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:59:06 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Bro, I have two of these, you know why I run them. You can borrow one for a while if you'd like, see if its worth your money............Udog

I wouldn't mind borrowing one although I am still going to try the caulk method. It's the DIY side of me.

Bomber
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:14:30 AM EDT
[#29]
I've got them on both mine and they will be on any other one i build aswell.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:39:25 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I dremeled my stock CH so that it has similar gas grooves as the gas buster...

Interesting... how exactly did you make this modification ? Pictures ?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:06:53 AM EDT
[#31]
yea
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:12:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Buy one- you won't be sorry.  They feel great in your hand when charging the weapon, they work very well at keeping gas out of your face (especially suppressed), and they're robust.  Worth every penny.

Josh
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:15:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Yea.  Even if you are not using a suppresor I reccomend them...cause I did get gas in my face with my old Colt upper.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:58:49 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

I'll buy it

I have a M4-2000 on the way and will need this.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:01:16 PM EDT
[#35]
    There may be another alternative to the gas buster showing up soon, a manufacturer is sending me his prototype for testing and feedback, and with his permission, I'll post the results.  That'll also give me a reason to learn to post pics.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:38:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Tag because of Tigers post about a new item
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:06:07 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
    There may be another alternative to the gas buster showing up soon, a manufacturer is sending me his prototype for testing and feedback, and with his permission, I'll post the results.  That'll also give me a reason to learn to post pics.  

Ill host pics for ya, my cost is 1 prototype CH.....Just kiding ill host for free,.... But,if the manufactor needs another beta tester I have an M4-2000 and 11.5" AR

ETA:I also own PRI gasbusters, so I could do a good comparison write up/ evaluation.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:36:29 PM EDT
[#38]
I already suggested to him that since I only have semi, that He should have some full auto test the device, He agreed, and said He has a couple of  friends willing to do just that.  Wish I could say more, but I'll let the manufacturer do the talking if and when he decides the product meets his standards.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:49:06 PM EDT
[#39]
No prob, Pic hosting offer is still good if you need it..........Udog
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:14:07 AM EDT
[#40]
Tag! I'm in Nebraska and could assist in the testing
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 9:28:40 AM EDT
[#41]
metroplex - do you have pictures of the dremeled area on the CH?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 10:05:50 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I wouldn't buy the complete Gas Buster carry handle but I always equip my ARs with the PRI Big Latch. Yes, it does nothing to divert gases away from my face but it does make it easier to charge the weapon.

I agree with this assessment as well.  The Military Big Latch is an excellent addition without the conspicuousness of something like the Tac-Latch.  I have not found that my PRI Gasbuster makes much of a difference, but then again I haven't shot my M4 suppressed either.

Stephen
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:12:37 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
metroplex - do you have pictures of the dremeled area on the CH?

Thanks.

Ya, I've got to see this.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:25:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Ok, Mongo...

What is the "Push-Pull-Rack-Roll Tecnique"?
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 12:38:36 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Ok, Mongo...

What is the "Push-Pull-Rack-Roll Tecnique"?

Malfunction clearance procedure.

Push the magazine up into the magwell.

Pull down to ensure it is seated.

With your off hand, rack the charging handle back all the way.

Roll the rifle to the ejection port side to allow anything loose to fall out the ejection port.

Release the charging handle.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 10:39:52 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess  I'm the only one whose never seen a bent/cracked charging handle.  Whats actually bending/breaking?

+1

I have never seen a Colt or BM bend, but  have seen a few of the "cheap" off brands get tweaked.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 11:28:46 AM EDT
[#47]
Since the gas tube fits inside the CH and is shielded by the CH shaft, there is very little gas that escapes from the top.  Therefore, the silicone or O-ring trick doesn't stop much escaping gas.  The majority of gas blow back comes from the bottom of the charging handle.  The Gas Buster CH sits lower on the bottom and has a channel to re-direct the gases.  It is most effective with suppressed AR's or AR's with a Krinkov FH but certainly works better than your standard CH.

Just my .02
MadDog
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:33:13 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wouldn't mind borrowing one although I am still going to try the caulk method. It's the DIY side of me.

Bomber

Very interesting. Are there detailed instructions on the caulk method?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 10:59:50 PM EDT
[#49]
    Revived this thread to give some more info on the new product I hinted about.  The manufacturer is selling it in Equipment Exchange (NFA section).  Thread is something like "Battle-cloth Blast Shield for suppressed AR's.  

The concept is simple, but it works very well for casual plinking or target shooting.  I'm using both the carbine and rifle version, and am very happy with the results, no more gas or powder particles blowing into my eyes from the CH, it REALLY makes it easier to keep my eyes open while shooting from the bench to see the hits through the scope.  

Sorry no link to EE, could someone do that?   BTW, Steve is a great guy to work with...He built a pistol holster with special modifications for me, that is just plain fantastic!
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:24:39 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top