Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2005 9:57:50 AM EDT
I know all of the basics, but I want to know the best and easiest way for two private parties to exchange lowers temporarily for services to be performed like engraving or refinishing.  

things I know I can do legally:

-  My FFL can accept a lower shipped from another private party through USPS
-  I can ship a lower to an FFL through the USPS

Would I have to do the refinishing at my FFL's place of business or can he hand the lower to me for refinishing without a transfer, a call to the Feds and a "have fun!"?

I know that a dealer logs in all of the firearms he receives but would he have to do that with this firearm and what happens after that?

I basically need to know what I need to do in order to paint someone's lower/upper.

thanks
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:26:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Shipping rifles through USPS is fine, I do it all the time... Just don't do it with pistols, its not allowed the postal lady tells me...

When ever you ship a firearm out for repairs or other services and it crosses state lines, you must ship it to an FFL holder... They in turn can ship directly back to you...

Now for the FFL that receives a firearm and gives it to a non FFL third party for work or repairs, I wouldn't think that would be allowed with out the receiving FFL holder doing a background check on the third party...

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:18:04 PM EDT
[#2]
so he'd have to record it and then do a background check, that seems ok and doable.  It's just going to be a problem if the background check causes the feds to think i've taken possession or in order to send it back to the owner he'll have to get it through his ffl.  that's what I don't want- that will just dissuade customers.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:34:37 PM EDT
[#3]
It sounds like you are wanting to start a little business? If that's the case, why don't you just get your FFL? Its like $200 to get the license and $20-30 a year after that to keep it...

If you or anyone on this board would like the information needed to obtain your FFL, just ask
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:39:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Thinking more about your situation, Are you "close friends" with your FFL person that will be receiving the lowers? If so, maybe he could say you work for him and that you are his re finisher/engraver? Id imagine that would eliminate the need for you to have your background checked to be able to leave the FFL shop with the items... Your FFL then also can directly ship the lowers back to your customers...
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 2:35:27 PM EDT
[#5]
it's only $200 and then a little per year?  That's really not that bad.  Having an FFL can't get you through Class III paperwork any faster, can it?  I would like to get a supressor and SBR within the next year or two and if a plain old FFL will help, I guess there's no reason not to.  

Only problem is I was arresed in 2000 when I was visiting a buddy at IU.  I had brought a gun and it was "hidden" in my buddies room.  His roommate found out about it through him and ran off with it.  He said he didn't feel safe having it at his apartment but felt fine running around with it.  I didn't know it was gone until I was leaving.  That's when I got very pissed (and was already drunk.)  I fought (argued) with my buddy about it until some jackass called the cops.  I was charged with assualt with a deadly weapon and public intox because I had a pocket knife- a benchmade (osborne something or other.)

I plead guilty, got probation and gave up my carry permit voluntarily.  They kept the pistol for a year, then I had a friend pick it up and I sold it.  I'm thinking that all might be found through a thorough background check and I don't need the emberassment.  

I've bought 1 handgun, one 10/22, one AR and one lower since then.  
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 2:55:33 PM EDT
[#6]
That's misdemeanor crap, nothing to worry about, felony's is what will get you denied by the ATF...

If you are permitted to legally purchase and posses a firearm, you are eligible to obtain an FFL license...  For class 3 buying and selling, that is another type of FFL that will cost you big $$$, I'm talking thousands, not worth it... I'm going to email you some info that will explain to you the process to obtain a FFL license...

Hey, You've got mail
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 3:13:35 PM EDT
[#7]
thanks for being so proactive in helping me!  

don't EVER hesitate to ask me anything I might have info about.

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 3:19:09 PM EDT
[#8]
No problem bud, and will do
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top