Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2005 11:09:29 AM EDT
Hi All,

After posting for your advice, I took it and sent in my check today to order a RRA NMA2.  I'm new to the .223/5.56 arena.  Can you reccommend a decent ammo that's not crazy expensive but accurate?  What grain?

Thank you!
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:18:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Hey there, and welcome aboard ar15.com - please watch your step as you look for a seat.

Congratuations on the RRA.  I have one with the national match two stage trigger and a 16" A4 upper.

Here's a link to the ammo forum where you can find out a lot.  Everyone will also send you to the ammo oracle - which is required reading but it's a great primer that will make your ammo fu very strong.

BTW, be sure and post a picture when your AR gets in.

To answer your original question, a lot of people use Federal XM193 (not the PD verson).  It's 55 grain full power loads.  I also use S&B FMJ in 55 gr. and it shoots just fine.  I'm sure someone else will be along here in a minute to add their 2 cents too.

R.

ETA link to ammo oracle
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:22:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 11:36:57 AM EDT
[#3]

No, what the guys said above will provide the accuracy and price you want.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 1:23:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Shadow,

With that NM you want to be using something a lot better to get the accuracy it has built into it. To stay on the econimical side, Black Hills remanufactured with the 69 gr. or 68 gr. will be good up to 200 yds. for 300 you want the 77 sierra or 75 Hornady bullet, both are available from B.H.

At 600 if you are serious and interested in competition, you really need to be reloading (80gr sierra a good place to start) but untill you can reload, use the 77 or 75 as available from BH.

When you zero your rifle, run the elevation all the way down, then up at least 3 or 4 clicks, then use the front sight to zero at 100 yds.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 2:09:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Foward_assist,

You have provided a wealth of knowledge throughout this process...thank you.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top