Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2005 5:52:49 AM EDT
anyone here make use of a Badger Ord. tac latch, or other similar oversized charging handle latch?  Pros?  Cons?  I have been noticing my hand sometimes slips off the standard A2 latch on my rifle, but this might just be me.  Any input is appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:57:22 AM EDT
[#1]
Yep, Gasbuster with their HD tac latch.  Its a must for anyone with a supressor.  Some of the lower quality tac latches/charging handles will cause you to torque the charging handle
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:07:21 AM EDT
[#2]
uhhh..this one is perfect for me. First off let me say once you get the badger ordinance you will not go back. it is perfect for either one finger or palm charging, or the basic two finger operation. as for any downs.....................ummmm..............errrrrr.............. you might get it dug in your back if you sling it, but thats only if you just wear a t-shirt or something, but when I shoot I use a tac vest so nothing hits me at all. I have them on all of my carbines.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:14:34 AM EDT
[#3]
only issue that I have is that it sometimes digs into your chest if you have your rifle on a sling and is resting on your chest. If you wear a sweatshirt it goes away.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:20:47 AM EDT
[#4]
i had a badger ordinance for a while.
i noticed it tended to dig into the upper and was wearing away the aluminum notch that keeps it from moving back.  after a little while the charging handle unlocked during operation and came back to hit me in the nose so i removed it and repalced it with the factory one.  it almost screwed up the upper.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:22:09 AM EDT
[#5]
yeah maybe sometimes, but like you said sweatshirt and it goes away. I have singlepoint slings on all of my primary rifles and three-point on secondary rifles.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:51:40 AM EDT
[#6]
The Badger tacklatch is primarily used in SPR type rifles or rifles that use magnified scopes. Rifles where the shooter prefers to mount their scopes with the eyepiece near,  above or beyond the charging handle. IOR, US Optics, S&B and the like.  The Badger type latches were designed to have more "lever / latch" to grab even when the big scopes "crowd over" over the charging handle. It makes it easier.

The PRI big latch is designed to give you just an added thickness - as opposed to the ordinary latch - so it will be more comfortable to grab and and pull back  the charging handle with just your thumb and pointer (finger).

A lot of people on this board also use PRI on their SPRs and scoped rifles because they find it less obtrusive than that of the Badger type tac latches.

So depends on your preference really.

[ETA: the PRI big latch is just THAT - a BIG LATCH. The PRI gasbuster on the other hand, although ALSO with a big latch, serves a totally different purpose.}
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 6:55:27 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
uhhh..this one is perfect for me. First off let me say once you get the badger ordinance you will not go back. it is perfect for either one finger or palm charging, or the basic two finger operation. as for any downs.....................ummmm..............errrrrr.............. you might get it dug in your back if you sling it, but thats only if you just wear a t-shirt or something, but when I shoot I use a tac vest so nothing hits me at all. I have them on all of my carbines.

i4.photobucket.com/albums/y116/donovan007007/badassmofo3.jpg

You'll find many here that do not share your sentiments for the Badger gen 1 tac latch, myself included. I tried one before becoming a PRI fan and the badger managed to chew into the upper. You'll find quite a bit of negative feedback on this latch if you search. Try a PRI Big Mil latch and you'll never go back to the badger. Just my insightful .02

Edit to add: Interesting use of a rail panel
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:03:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Don't buy a gimmick tac latch for a standard AR, they dig up your upper, don't lock all the time, and hurt your chest when you use a tac sling. Waste of money... very litle advantage...my two cents...
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:23:44 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Don't buy a gimmick tac latch for a standard AR, they dig up your upper, don't lock all the time, and hurt your chest when you use a tac sling. Waste of money... very litle advantage...my two cents...

I take it you've never tried a PRI Big mil latch?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:35:26 AM EDT
[#10]
A tac latch is a must for fast malfunction clearing, if you have that need.  Optics isn't an issue here.  If you are a bench bound shooter or never expect to have the need to quickly clear a malfunction, then you would probably not need anything other than the standard latch.  Tac latches do make charging handle operations a little easier if you have a scope mounted on your flat top receiver, though.

One of the better guys in the training business prefers the Badger.  His opinion is that upper receivers are replacable, so if a little damage occurs, it's all part of doing business.  Many prefer the PRI Military Big Latch, as do I.  The work very well and tend not to tear up your upper receiver as much.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:40:30 AM EDT
[#11]
I shoot long guns lefty and don't have the "poking" problem with the Badger Gen I.  Just a quick note.

CHRIS
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:10:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Here's my obigatory "why I despise the Gen1 Badger tac latch pic":

Another few weeks of use and this upper would have needed replacement-and OEM Colt uppers are expensive. As it is, the notch is now worn enough that the stock CH won't always stay latched.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:57:41 AM EDT
[#13]
I noticed extra wear on my upper with this as well.  I thought it was pretty cool other than that.  I used it for a rifle that had a dedicated scope however.  The scope was so close to the charging handle, I had to have the latch.  I would not use it for a rifle that isn't cluttered near the charging handle.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:03:03 AM EDT
[#14]
For extended latch users, have you ever had the latch hook on to clothing/equipment and pull the bolt out of battery?  I have never used one but imagine that would be a problem, especially if you carry it for long periods.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:08:56 AM EDT
[#15]
PRI all the way.  Will never have another AR without a PRI latch.  No negatives, all the benefit.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:37:07 AM EDT
[#16]
I had the gen 1 Badger Ord latch and ditched it because of the damage to the upper.

Switched back to the standard latch and haven't looked back...
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:51:58 AM EDT
[#17]
I have been using the Badger Ordnance Gen. II latch for the last month. The difference is night and day, as I can now use a palm sweep to clear malfunctions, even without gloves. The only drawback is that , when wearing a t-shirt with the rifle slung across  the back (assuming you are RH), the latch will poke you. Well worth the $20 IMO.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:01:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Can anybody tell me why the Badger digs into the upper receiver any more than the standard latch? I just installed a badger, and it looks to me like the hook and dimensions of the latch are identical to the factory one, and it's the same spring being used.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:02:09 AM EDT
[#19]
PRI.  Theres no fault to be found with it in my book.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:27:47 AM EDT
[#20]
pri for me
tried the badger and it does eat into the upper faster, always had the latch dig into my back and sides when slung

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:40:42 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Can anybody tell me why the Badger digs into the upper receiver any more than the standard latch? I just installed a badger, and it looks to me like the hook and dimensions of the latch are identical to the factory one, and it's the same spring being used.

THe Badger Ord Tac Latch is made from steel. SO the softer metal gets worn down, which would be the aluminum reciever.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:54:08 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

THe Badger Ord Tac Latch is made from steel. SO the softer metal gets worn down, which would be the aluminum reciever.

That's what I figured. I'm going to monitor mine and see if it wears the upper.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 12:05:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:17:50 PM EDT
[#24]
My $.02...I ran with out one for many years and had no problems using my left hand thumb and forefinger to work the CH. Then I got a good deal on a PRI big latch already installed on a CH for a geat trade. Always wanted to try one, so it did'nt cost me much. Ran it for a couple thousand rounds and I'm sold on the PRI. Gives you a better purchase area for charging and makes it easier to apply an aggressive Immediate action drill to clear malfuctions.  I have seen no abnormal wear on my Upper and have not had the PRI hang up on my gear at all.

Comparing the PRI and the Gen 1 Badger is apples to oranges. The Gen 1 badger is addressing a different issue then the PRI and now the Gen 2 Badger is addressing some others.  Just looking at the design of the Gen 1 Badger, I knew that was not for me as it would hang up on my gear and poke me in the chest. ThePRI does not stick out any further then the OEM CH does.

Is it a must have for the Plinker/weekend paper shooter???? no, but if you take you carbine shooting and practice more seriously, you should check out the PRI. It's a enhancment for those who can benefit from it. not every one can or wants to....
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:24:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:43:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 12:01:37 AM EDT
[#27]
I used a Tac Latch for a few years and yes, it did cause wear on the upper.  I wasn't especially concerned with the wear, as it did not affect the function at all.  I figured that if I actually managed to wear the upper out, it wasn't a big deal for me to swap it out.  I have changed to a II, because I actually managed to damage the original Tac Latch (not a design flaw, just a user flaw, don't ask).  Now that I have the 2nd generation one, I would not go back to the earlier design.  The II is large enough to get a good grip on it and the surface is more aggressive as well.  

Pic of the wear marks...

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:29:59 AM EDT
[#28]
I have had the Tac Latch on a few issued M-16s and on the one I have currently carried for eight months of daily use in the sand box of Kuwait.  My job is force protection and I stand at a gate most days. We carry magazine inserted, chamber empty.  So if I need to use my weapon, I have shoulder it, take it off safe and charge to get a shot off.  The Tac Latch lets me do all that very quickly.  I can shoulder the rifle and charge it at the same time, very quckily.  Luckily I have not had to fire at any of the "Gate Runners" that forget to stop at the stop sign. I havent had too much wear on my upper reciever (although I really dont care, since it's an issued weapon) , a little on the charging handle itself, but it is just the finish coming off.  Have not tried the PRI latch yet, probably will with my next AR.  Oh and I dont have a problem with it digging in to me, I wear body armor and when I dont, I guess my uniform top is enough protection from the latch.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:43:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Tag, I want a tac latch, but am reading who to go with PRI or BO.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:04:59 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
... My job is force protection and I stand at a gate most days. We carry magazine inserted, chamber empty.  So if I need to use my weapon, I have shoulder it, take it off safe and charge to get a shot off.  The Tac Latch lets me do all that very quickly.  I can shoulder the rifle and charge it at the same time, very quckily...

+1

The latch I have isn't a Badger but it does its job well.
-------------
G18 - The best in full-auto...
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:20:23 AM EDT
[#31]
I'd go with the PRI, it's my favorite.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 11:17:46 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 10:19:02 AM EDT
[#33]
The PRI is what should have been "stock" in the first place.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:02:14 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
The PRI is what should have been "stock" in the first place.

Absolutely. They are now standard equipment on all but one of my ARs. Whenever I shoot the one rifle that doesn't have one I'm reminded of what a profound improvement the PRI is over stock.

I have a new PRI latch in my parts kit ready to install on that last rifle-I just need to get around to installing it
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:07:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Personally speaking, PRI is a huge difference compared to Badger Ordinance... I switched to PRI and will never go back to using the BO latch...
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:18:40 PM EDT
[#36]
the PRI is great i have it on both of my rifles.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 1:24:43 PM EDT
[#37]
Well, Crapola.....I ordered one of the Badger Gen II latches from Brownell's before this thread started and was all set to install it when I read all the negatives on the Badgers and saw the pics...so, I ordered the PRI...guess the Badger will go back to Brownell's, although I do like the looks of its extention. Glad I read all of this before I circumcised the latch notch on my RRA. I emailed Badger to ask them about the problem, but haven't heard back from them yet..they are closed this week.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 1:33:10 PM EDT
[#38]
The Badger seems to work well for alot of lefties.
Being right handed and drilling/practicing with gear, the Badger Tac Latch is absolute garbage, IMO.

1.) Ruins the receiver's latch notch by grinding away aluminum.
2.) Get's caught on everything causing it to snap in and out of the notch destroying the aluminum.
3.) Quick to stab you in the back or side during a transition drill.
4.)One handed charging with the standard latch is no problem for Me.

I have no experience with the PRI, but from what I hear, it is low profile and does not have the problems
of the Badger.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:37:53 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
The PRI latch is also made of steel but it seeems to have its edges softened and deburred.

Quoted:
One of the better guys in the training business prefers the Badger.  His opinion is that upper receivers are replacable, so if a little damage occurs, it's all part of doing business.  Many prefer the PRI Military Big Latch, as do I.  The work very well and tend not to tear up your upper receiver as much.

So do for yourself to the Badger that which PRI apparently does to their latch:  Take off the sharp edgeand deburr it.  A little TW-25B on the notch doesn't hurt, either.  Far cheaper than replacing the latch much less the receiver.

I'll be happy to take your discarded Gen. I latches.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top