Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2005 2:23:23 AM EDT
Has anyone out there seen any pics of the M16A3 in active service fighting World War IV? Are there any servicemen out there who were issued this weapon? When you look at pics of soldiers or watch the news you see the usual assortment of M16A2s and M16A4s but I have seldom seen an A3. The  A3 was developed at the behest of special operation personel who where displeased with the 3 round burst mechanism and who needed a flat top to mount optics. While this model is still made by FN, it seems to have been passed over by A2's with KAC RIS and A4's with ACOG.
Does anyone have any more information about the current use of the M16A3 or maybe some pictures or personal experience?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:21:16 AM EDT
[#1]
World War IV? Did I miss World War III? Man, I think I really watch too much tv............ shit, I need to get out more
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:24:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:11:16 AM EDT
[#3]
The M16A3 is identical to the M16A2 except it has full auto in lieu of burst.  I have seen only one unit over here in Iraq that had them and they where US Navy Seabees from the Pacific.  As far as being designed for Special Operations don't think so, that's why we adopted the M4A1.

CD
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:15:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Are these out of the box, lower marked A3 or is it just an overstamp?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:28:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:34:51 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The  A3 was developed at the behest of special operation personel who where displeased with the 3 round burst mechanism and who needed a flat top to mount optics.  

Bullshit,

The M16A3 is a fixed handle upper receiver.  

It is identical to the M16A2 except safe-semi-full instead of safe-semi-burst.

They are not overstamps.  

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:29:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Last I heard the US Navy was the only ones that bought them, something like 100,000 rifles, all made by FN.  They are marked M16A3, and have a fixed carry handle.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:06:42 AM EDT
[#8]
When I was deployed a couple of years ago, the ship I was on got a bunch to replace M14s.  I got one of the Gunner's Mates to let me fondle one.  They all had fixed carry handles and were properly marked "M16A3," not overstamped.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top