Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2005 12:35:05 AM EDT
I need to get a new bolt carier group, and bolt, for an AR build I am working on.  Dsgarms has the armalite BCGs in stock.

Are they "enhanced"?  Also, is the interior chrome lined on these.  I am guessing that they are, but I want to make sure.

What about a CMT?

thanks for any input.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 12:41:23 AM EDT
[#1]
i have a cmt bcg on the way from dennysguns

have read endless good feedback about them and wanted to see what all the fuss was about
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:28:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Nothing wrong with an armalite.  If you want "enhanced" thats the LMT bolt.  There is another bolt coming out that looks similar in that it has sand cuts or other relief to alow for dirt.

If you don't shoot lots and lots of dirty Wolf or Barnhaul without cleaning you don't need it.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:37:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:58:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a CMT bolt/carrier. It is the same profile as the Enhanced RRA with more meat at the rear and the shrouded firing pin.

I'm very happy with it and it has loosened up to a very functional tightness in only 120rds.

My DPMS bolt/carrier was still a little rough feeling after 300-400rds.

You won't be disappointed with the CMT and the Armalite is most likely an EXTREMELY high quality piece too.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 1:35:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the info.  The regular places that I shop only had those two brands, and I need one for a new build that I want to complete.

I will probably be making an order with dsgarms, so I will be getting the armalite, just to keep my ordering simple, with one company.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 1:51:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Before we all get confused.....

When most companies say "enhanced" BCG, they mean it has a shrouded firing pin like an M16 carrier, and an AR15 style back end to make full auto fire impossible. That is an enhanced carrier. LMT manufactures an enhanced bolt, with two extractor springs, a larger extractor, relief cuts in the lugs, etc. While in theory this is a good idea, in practice a lot of rifles equipped with these are having reliability issues. The problem usually stops when a Colt bolt is installed. LMT also makes an enhanced carrier, and word is that it runs OK in 14.5"+ barrels.

I prefer to stick with Colt BCGs, but thats me. I doubt very much that Armalite MPIs their BCGs like Colt does, and while I have firsthand experience with Armalites product and it seemed to work fairly well, nothing comes close to the reliability I have seen out of my brothers Colt 6520 upper.

Also, the surface finish of a bolt carrier makes a difference in how smooth the gun feels. I doubt it makes a practical difference, but you could put either my DPMS M16 carrier or my brothers Colt SP1 carrier (not the one he uses in his 6520) into a rifle and I could tell you which you'd installed.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 2:56:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Where is a good place to get a Colt BCG, and that has them in stock?
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:37:13 PM EDT
[#8]
IIRC an outfit named police supply inc. or something similar was selling them in the EE. SAW sales would have them, probably in stock. RGuns might. You could probably find some in Shotgun News. I would check the EE.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top