Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/19/2005 10:59:55 AM EDT
For anybody waiting for range reports on the ABS barrels here is something to help out.  I dont have any pics to post yet but I am working on that.  My AR as tested is sitting with a MGI upper, a Swarovski 3-10 (american series), and most important a 11.5 inch ABS carbon wrapped barrel.  So far at the range shooting Black Hills seconds with a 50 gr V-Max bullet nobody that has shot the gun has had trouble keeping them inside of a half inch.  With sand bags I can keep them at or under 1/4 in so far.  With four witness' this gun has taken a prarie dog on full auto with the can on at just over 125 yards.  From there we decided to test the long range ability and I took one at about 373 yards.  Then as we were wrapping it up for the day I had to get the 'little gun' in the 500 yard club.  It proved to be easier than I thought.  The final dog shot was at 525 yards which was double measured with the laser.  This was off of a bench but still accomplished with a little ABS 11.5" bbl!  I was so happy with what the gun did I had to order another barrel (18") to see just what we can do with it.  When I get my camera back picks of targets with different shooters will follow.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 11:11:46 AM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the range report.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 1:39:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Does it not seem odd this guy has 3 posts and is raving about his ABS barrel?
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 1:48:12 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
...this gun has taken a prarie dog on full auto with the can on...

Why shoot a prairie dog with a suppressed M16?

Thanks for the range report, as I'm interested in everything that MGI offers.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 6:28:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I shot a dog with a suppressed M-16 because it sounded like fun.  I dont get much time to even shoot paper with my own guns so the thought of a 'hunt' was just something to do with it.  As for any  body questioning who I am or why I only have a    few posts on the site it is because I run a gun shop!  I own and operate Answer Products Co LLC out of Troy MI.  If anyone has any questions or concerns please feel free to do some research on me or just give me a call.  I will be happy to talk to you.  If any one lives or is going to be in the Detroit area give me a call and I can arange for you to shoot the barrel that I rave about.  Soon you will be able to shoot several of the barrels that I rave about as we will have several guns equiped with the barrels on hand in the near future.  So I may not have alot of time to post but I will back up what I do post!  My phone # is 248-524-0151.  Call any time Tues-Fri 9-5.  I have some pics of the barrel and I should get them up by tommorow.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:36:05 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I shot a dog with a suppressed M-16 because it sounded like fun.  I dont get much time to even shoot paper with my own guns so the thought of a 'hunt' was just something to do with it.  As for any  body questioning who I am or why I only have a    few posts on the site it is because I run a gun shop!  I own and operate Answer Products Co LLC out of Troy MI.  If anyone has any questions or concerns please feel free to do some research on me or just give me a call.  I will be happy to talk to you.  If any one lives or is going to be in the Detroit area give me a call and I can arange for you to shoot the barrel that I rave about.  Soon you will be able to shoot several of the barrels that I rave about as we will have several guns equiped with the barrels on hand in the near future.  So I may not have alot of time to post but I will back up what I do post!  My phone # is 248-524-0151.  Call any time Tues-Fri 9-5.  I have some pics of the barrel and I should get them up by tommorow.

I don't doubt your claims. Too much emphasis on post count sometimes. Looking forward to those pics and thanks for the report. I think I'm going to get one of these.
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 7:57:23 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't doubt your claims. Too much emphasis on post count sometimes. Looking forward to those pics and thanks for the report. I think I'm going to get one of these.

+1,  I'm a noob and look at my post count.

ETA: In honor of my 601st post,  here is a photo of Ekie's cool 601.

Link Posted: 8/19/2005 9:51:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Is the barrell s.s. match or chromly steel?  Also, what chamber cut do you have?

Thanks........Sounds impressive!!!  

NOTE:  I have purchased barrells from ANSWER PRODUCTS in past for some bolt action hunting rifles.......all top notch!
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 11:14:52 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I shot a dog with a suppressed M-16 because it sounded like fun.

I hope you didn't take my comment the wrong way. As the owner of a suppressed M16 myself, I'm fairly confident that at 125 yards only the first shot of the burst connected on such a small target due to muzzle climb. I would have just flipped the selector to "Semi" and took the shot. But I don't doubt that it was fun anyway.

What do you have for an M16? You guys are restricted to C&R machineguns owned by FFL-holders only, aren't you? Silencers legal for Michigan dealers only as well?
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 12:07:51 PM EDT
[#9]
What type of barrel is under the carbon wrapping of your ABS barrel?  Anything different about the break in process?

Glad to see a post with substince. You can always turn into a post count slut.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 1:20:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Mike Rock rifled stainless steel

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=22&t=262783
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:05:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Michigan is a restricted state.  We decided to get a type 2 manufacturing license under my other company which has a type 7 FFL so we could do some experimenting with what our stuff does on class 3 weapons.  The new brake will be only slightly different in looks but should add about another 10-20 percent in recoil reduction and muzzle rise, depending on caliber.  I cant post any pics of the new stuff yet but I will keep you posted on the progress.

I agree that it was most likely only one shot that connected but it was just fun to watch.

The chamber on the ABS wrapped Rock barrel is a Wylde match.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 5:11:03 PM EDT
[#12]
The M-16 is actually a converted Dalphon arms B.F.D. multi caliber lower.  I did this just to minimize paper work if I put a different caliber on it.  The upper is a MGI quick change and it has a regular 3 position stock on it right now.  The can is our 9" aluminum body prototype.   It makes a great demo gun but there is not too many places around here that will allow us to shoot it on full auto.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 1:26:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Was the barrel 5 or 6 land/groove version?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 3:54:39 AM EDT
[#14]
It is a 6 groove.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 4:20:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Here's the odd things I find with this post:

SBR - a no-no in MI.

M16 - a no-no in MI, unless it a C&R

Suppressor - a no-no in MI

Prairie dog in MI - haven't seen too many.

What would be the bullet drop out of an 11.5" barrel at 525 yds and is there a scope out there that can compensate for that?

It's answered above, so who am I to say anything.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:30:51 AM EDT
[#16]
The prarie dog was shot in S.D. not MI.  All other no no's covered by a type 72 SOT backing on a type 7 FFL.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 5:55:07 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
The prarie dog was shot in S.D. not MI.  Gotcha.

All other no no's covered by a type 72 SOT backing on a type 7 FFL.  Wish I could have that.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:43:51 AM EDT
[#18]
To answer the hold over question it is about 72".  
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:38:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Sorry, just trying to load the pics with no luck.hinking.gif
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:39:34 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Some pics of the 'little barrel'.

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:44:13 AM EDT
[#21]

How about some pics of you going "full auto" on a prairie dog at 125 yards?

Shok
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:06:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 11:08:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Sorry but we did not have the camera out when we were shooting.  I will get some next time.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:28:37 AM EDT
[#24]
bump for pics
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top