Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/15/2005 7:23:16 AM EDT
does anybody use them or is it just wrong.............. if anybody have one can you show me yours.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:35:33 AM EDT
[#1]
sorry no pics but i upgrades my car handguards for m4    better feel and less heat
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:38:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Before I freefloated my AR6721 I replaced the skinny CAR HGs with M4 HGs. The skinny HGs have always been too narrow for my liking.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:39:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Here you go. Two pictures of the same rifle with different furniture.

First one is a CMT M4 style stock and Cav Arms M4 handguards with an A2 pistol grip.

Second one is a CMT CAR style stock, standard CAR handguards and an A1 pistol grip.

They both look okay. Just depends on what you want. Having an M16/A1/C7 upper would also change the personality quite a bit.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:49:26 AM EDT
[#4]
thanks lancelot, I am trying to figure out what HG's to use to finish up my build. All I lack is the bolt group and handguards. either M4's or the carbine triangle handguards, what I have now is DPMS lower, DPMS A1 E3 upper, Wilson 11.5 bbl with 5.5 FH, A2 FSB, A2 grip, car15 stock, so now all I need to get is the HG's.

I cant pick............. ................. I need to pick them out today because if I order today, I can get them by friday.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 8:23:15 AM EDT
[#5]
The triangle CAR handguards are cool, but incredibly expensive. I'd own a pair if not for the price tag.

I think the older style CAR stock looks best with the CAR handguards, but that's just me.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:23:40 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Before I freefloated my AR6721 I replaced the skinny CAR HGs with M4 HGs. The skinny HGs have always been too narrow for my liking.

If you still have the original HGs, and want to sell them, e mail me.  I like the originals better. The original Colt, that is.  Haven't found an aftermarket type that looks anything but sleazy.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:27:24 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
does anybody use them or is it just wrong.............. if anybody have one can you show me yours.

If I understand your question correctly, and the answer is yes, I'll reconfigure one of mine and take some pictures for you.

If I misunderstood your question, then feel free to ignore my comments and I'll go back to drinking more coffee this morning.....

CAR15 is a generic term, and I am making the assumption that you mean older style.....
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:50:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I put M4 handguards on my 6520 upper.  I like them better functionally than the skinny CAR handguards, and I also like the way they look too.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:06:32 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you still have the original HGs, and want to sell them, e mail me.  I like the originals better. The original Colt, that is.  Haven't found an aftermarket type that looks anything but sleazy.

I'll check the bin and see if I still have them. Be back in a sec

ETA: Oddly enough I have two sets of CAR HGs in the bin(?)-not sure where the second set came from.

ETAA: One set is typical commercial injection molded crap that I wouldn't give away to someone I hated. The other set is proper Colt. You're welcome to the good set if you want them. The others will go into the trash.

Still scratching my head about how a substandard pair of HGs snuck into my parts bin

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:40:32 AM EDT
[#10]
yes stick, I would like to see that. thats basically almost exactly the same car15 that I am building, but I want to see what the M4 HG's look like. I might just purchase the XM607 Hg's also, they are $75 but the M4's are $22.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:48:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Ok, I'll get some pics up for you in a little bit.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:14:25 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
[
ETAA: One set is typical commercial injection molded crap that I wouldn't give away to someone I hated. The other set is proper Colt. You're welcome to the good set if you want them. The others will go into the trash.

If you don't want 'em, I'll be happy to take the "crappy" ones for future projects.

Better than trashing them

ETA: Nevermind, Stick is in more need of them than I am.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:28:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Interestingly enough, I broke one of my sets of carbine handguards pulling them off for the pic.  

Jan, if you still have the decent pair, I'll float you some scratch for them.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:33:56 AM EDT
[#14]
I feel shitty about that now stick......................
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:35:14 AM EDT
[#15]
Don't sweat it, they would have broken at some other time, so please don't think it was because of the pictures!

The big question is whether the pictures help make up your mind or not......
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:44:13 AM EDT
[#16]
yes, thanx to you stick I am ordering the M4 HG's instead of those XM607's. I thought about it for awhile and even if I buy them later I will have another carbine done and in the safe. plus I havent even felt how fat those XM607 HG's are on the bottom, I have small hands and dont want another YHM FF with rail covers incidents (it is too rounded for my hands), now the only time my FF feels good is when it has the vertical grip on it.  I need something that I can put in my hand and be comfy.
also what kind of camera do you have? your pics are always awesome! backlighting?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:46:57 AM EDT
[#17]
The M4 style are comfortable for me, but I have huge hands, so that doesn't help you much.  The people I shoot with however have commented that they like the M4 style better when firing ARs/ M16s, and many of them have average to small hands.

I think you will like them.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:23:39 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
yes, thanx to you stick I am ordering the M4 HG's instead of those XM607's. I thought about it for awhile and even if I buy them later I will have another carbine done and in the safe. plus I havent even felt how fat those XM607 HG's are on the bottom, I have small hands and dont want another YHM FF with rail covers incidents (it is too rounded for my hands), now the only time my FF feels good is when it has the vertical grip on it.  I need something that I can put in my hand and be comfy.
also what kind of camera do you have? your pics are always awesome! backlighting?

If the XM607 handguards are the same as the A1 triangular ones, then they're not that fat. I think they are pretty comfortable, actually...but of course I have kinda big hands... Whatever floats your boat, though.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:37:26 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Jan, if you still have the decent pair, I'll float you some scratch for them...

Stick, I've got a couple of extra sets of M4 HGs (Colt and LMT). Just e-mail me your contact info and I'll send you a set. The old man would be pretty upset if I took money from a LEO, so I'd much rather donate-rather than sell, a set to the cause.

I'll you'd rather have a set of the CAR HGs let me know. I've got the shitty pair and a set of Colts. Whatever you don't want I'll give to the other guys here who are looking for them
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:44:42 PM EDT
[#20]
I appreciate the offer, and I'll take you up on the regular CAR handguards if you don't mind.

I'll IM you the info, and thankyou again.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:48:38 PM EDT
[#21]
That was a cool thing to do. I can't believe Stick doesn't have a spare set of CAR handguards laying around. I was gonna offer you a set but he beat me to it.  Hey CJan_NH I'll take a set of those M4 Colt handguards Joking aside I prefer the feel of the M4 handguards by far to the CAR handguards as well and my meat hooks are not real big. I prefer the look of them as well.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:04:06 PM EDT
[#22]
I do have a set of carbine handguards.  Actually 3 sets....one is now broken, and the other was used for someones project (holes drilled in it), and lastly a green set which doesn't belong to me.

I've got to admit that I've never seen handguards break like this one, I'll get some pics of it.

So much for my theory that they were made by CavArms.............
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:08:40 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

It isn't really the camera, as I take the pics on medium resolution, but it is a Olympus C-750 4 megapixel (again, not used on anything but low and medium settings).  

Here is a picture of how I usually set up the shots that I take.  

The pictures today didn't use a window for mainlighting, today I used the garage and set the weapon on the floor.  I used the garage door to control how much light was present by opening it half way.  There was no secondary lighting used for the pictures today, there was enough overall light that it wasn't needed for a basic shot like the above ones.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:14:08 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm going to have to give that garage door trick a shot. My pics have improved with some Stick advise now maybe they will get even better I just wish I could do some outdoor shots but I have a sneaking suspicion the police would have to stop by if I was seen outside with my AR.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:20:32 PM EDT
[#25]
If you already have a cruiser parked in your front yard, no one stops by for anything....

Also, make sure you are bracing your camera when you are taking the pictures.  A tripod, even a cheap one, will work wonders for your pictures, especially when you use the timer and eliminate the shake induced from your hands.

If you don't have a tripod, use something to brace yourself and camera.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top