Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/12/2005 11:15:23 AM EDT
can anyone post me some pics with a 16 inch barrel and midlength handguards with collapsable stock?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:26:03 AM EDT
[#1]

Like this?

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:32:32 AM EDT
[#2]
So, just as a sort of rhetorical, shits n giggles sort of question......If you put midlength handguards on a 16" barrel, will a bayonet then fit properly on the lug and flash suppressor?  I mean, I need a bayonet like I need to get hit in the head with a hay hook again today, but.....
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:37:42 AM EDT
[#3]
FYI Midlength handguards don't make a 16" barrel a midlength barrel. The position of the gas port determines the length of the position of the front sight base with bayonet lug and the length of the gas tube.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:49:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:56:32 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm not the type of guy who has to have the new cool gear, I actually hate that, but I will say that Midlengths are much nicer than carbine or M4 handguards and 16" barrels with FS's.  They look much more balanced.  You've got the "correct" distance from the FSB to the FS and you get a littel more room to grab along with more room for the gas to travel and expand...

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:04:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Midlengths will NOT support a bayonet.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:26:32 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

What?

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:35:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Mid-lengths do properly support a bayonet.  

The bayonet does sit about .5" further forward then a 14.5" or 20" barrel but the hand guard ring is supported properly on the FS.  It's just as sturdy as standard fit but you have a .5" extra reach.

Below is my Sabre barreled mid-length with LaRue 9.0 rail with an old school M7 bayonet attached.

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:01:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 4:25:55 PM EDT
[#10]
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b38/45Ron/AR-15001.jpg

RRA Midlength with GG&G BUIS and EOTech512.65
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 8:48:56 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

you know better than that?!?!
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:11:10 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 5:39:14 PM EDT
[#13]
My bad. I thought that midlengths were 11/16" too long for a bayonet?

I've never had a bayonet, and I like my rifles with lo-pro gas blocks and rails over everything, so I don't think I'll be getting one.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:13:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Too many combat jacks are bad for the brain.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:32:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:37:03 PM EDT
[#16]
I think this guy has a CAR length gas system and thinks that midlength handguards will allow him to move his FSB forward and make his rifle look like a midlength.

If not, I apologize, just trying to help.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 7:01:57 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I think this guy has a CAR length gas system and thinks that midlength handguards will allow him to move his FSB forward and make his rifle look like a midlength.

If you are correct in that he has a carbine gas system, you are just accusing him of being a fool then.  He might be looking at a low-profile gas block as well.  He wouldn't specifically mention the low profile gas block in his request for pics because if done right, you wouldn't see it.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:48:44 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you are correct in that he has a carbine gas system, you are just accusing him of being a fool then.  He might be looking at a low-profile gas block as well.  He wouldn't specifically mention the low profile gas block in his request for pics because if done right, you wouldn't see it.

Uhhh... I was just trying to help. Christ.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:09:57 AM EDT
[#19]
It was just your attempt to explain your reasoning that seemed insulting.  Several people do like he asked and had your hunch been correct, it would have totally negated all of our help, almost as if you are arguing that we are probably wrong.  

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:14:28 AM EDT
[#20]
DK-Prof -- Who makes your vertical foregrip and where did you get it?  Thanx.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:38:20 AM EDT
[#21]
It's a KAC ~$35 or you can go to midwayusa and get a promag for $8.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:22:27 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
It was just your attempt to explain your reasoning that seemed insulting.  Several people do like he asked and had your hunch been correct, it would have totally negated all of our help, almost as if you are arguing that we are probably wrong.  

I'm not sure exactly where you got the idea I was trying to prove/call all the previous posters wrong but that was not my intention. I interpreted Sweetnsauer's post differently than you did. If you're correct, I guess you deserve a cookie and I don't. Definetly reading too much into it. Shesus.

Try to help people and get jumped on by someone else. Small wonder ARFCOM is how it is.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:29:53 AM EDT
[#23]
go ahead and play that card.  "I was trying to help and my feelings are hurt..."

I guess it wasn't so much that you were saying any of us were wrong, you were assuming he meant something that meant he was a REAL dumbshit and that's what kinda sucked.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:21:51 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
go ahead and play that card.  "I was trying to help and my feelings are hurt..."

I guess it wasn't so much that you were saying any of us were wrong, you were assuming he meant something that meant he was a REAL dumbshit and that's what kinda sucked.  

Get off the caffiene. NO, all I was saying was that PERHAPS, he is new to AR's. It does happen you know, I mean maybe you with ALL your AR's are an AR god and now have omniscient powers about all that is ARFCOM, but I don't have that yet.

I said in my first post that if I had misunderstood that I apologized but you still jump on my ass. If I was wrong, let him say so. My post was afterall directed primarily at him.

I don't want your pity, but considering your reaction to my basically non offensive post its a small wonder ARFCOM is full of so many grumpy, stick-up-their-ass, defensive people. Anytime they say anything they get jumped on by the likes of you. I've been here long enough to know to just ignore the a-holes, but not everyone can deal with it and in the process we turn new members away from the site, and, possibly, away from the sport.

Now get over it and grow up.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:30:46 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

you've got a serious chip on your shoulder regarding AR15.com for some reason.  That reason is you.  Stop trying to pretend to have completely analyzed the ENTIRE board and ALL of it's members and know everyone to a "T".

You obviously knew your guess had a slim chance of being right but you still had to throw it out there so you could have first dibs on the guy being a "dumbass."

cheers.  

you just had to go and restate why you thought he might have been mistaken instead of just letting your first post and prestated apology suffice.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:21:07 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
It's a KAC ~$35 or you can go to midwayusa and get a promag for $8.

Joe - got any links for the KAC and to the internal site within MidwayUSA?  I have standard midlength, round handguards; no rails.

Appreciate it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:02:03 AM EDT
[#27]
the KAC grip is this one:

here is midway's promag for $8.49:

midwayusa
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:16:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Does the adapter (or whatever that is) come with the grip?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:09:27 AM EDT
[#29]
Well, since the barrel came in yesterday, I can now join in the Mid-length threads.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:30:27 AM EDT
[#30]
P 245 - This may help.
MidwayUSA>AR15
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 11:01:56 AM EDT
[#31]
PROMAG makes quite a few of the rail portions that bolt to the lower handguard and are sold as kits with ladder covers if you wish in polymer or aluminum.  
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top