Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2005 4:41:44 PM EDT
This a serious question BTW. I am signing up for the Army (would have already but helping a buddy get in shape to go as well). I was watching "Making Marines" on the miltary channel. It followed them through boot camp and whatnot.

Noticed they were having to swim with an M16 and full BDU's.

I have a RRA with a non-chrome lined bore. If I go swimming with mine is it going to turn into a heaping pile of rust? Of course I would be cleaning it ASAP after I practiced with it. And no I will not be firing it while in the water or after I do this.

How bad of an idea is this?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:49:51 PM EDT
[#1]
as long as you clean it afterward you should be ok.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:50:02 PM EDT
[#2]
if those who defend our country are doing it with the weapons they will use to do so, it would follow that it's not an unsafe practice.

It would behoove you to pay a little attention to your rifle afterwards, though. Let it dry out and lube it back up.

Why would you go swimming with your rifle? You're probably more likely to either drop the rifle or drown due to the extra weight and awkwardness of trying to hold it and swim at the same time, than for any harm to come to the rifle because it got wet. If you actually do this, be sure to post photos. Don't use close up shots though - so it'll be easier for the photoshop army to add captions at the top or bottom.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:51:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Go for it! That’s some good training to prep for basic, but as far as I know the Army does not require you to swim in BDU’s carrying a weapon. At least not when I went through basic at Ft. McClellan in 1985.

As far as the weapon goes I think it should do fine. Run a wet patch of CLP through the bore just for GP and jump in!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:55:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Many of the weapons that are used in water for training, are rubber guns.....  same weight, similar feel, but no damage to anything (especially in saltwater).
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:56:54 PM EDT
[#5]
The rifle would be on a sling. Also I will not put myself in a position to drown. Someone will be with me also.

Army may not do this. I have no idea. Just saw the marines doing it. So I figured the army would be the same or similar.

Whats gets me is they had to somehow float for 1 minute with no swimming motions. I can barely do that in a pair of swimming trunks. Let alone in boots, bdu's, and a rifle.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:11:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Shooting it after it's been dunked is no problem either.  That is unless the gas tube got full of water, then it could rupture when shot....and that's bad.  Learning to swim (staying afloat) with all your gear (rifle included) is a good skill to know how to do.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:16:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Stickman's right, those are rubber rifles.  Does the Army even do swim quals?  Still, we cleaned our real rifles for final inspection in the showers with hot water, so if you clean your rifle right after swimming, you'll be alright.

Were they floating with their packs too?  Once you waterproof a pack, it will help you float.

In the advanced swim quals, you have to swim a certain distance  with flak jacket, cammies, boots, helmet, and rifle.  Most people don't make it past that.  You get tired REAL fast.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:24:45 PM EDT
[#8]
this was phase two at Parris Island for the Marines. They just had on boots, bdu pants, bdu jacket and a rifle. No pack or anything. Heck some of the guys and girls couldn't swim anyways.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:27:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Yeah, it's funny watching the swim quals.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:32:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:40:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Water won't hurt a thing.  Like BRAVO said, however, you are creating a little extra ass ache for yourself.  If you have compressed air, you'll be able to blast much of the water out.

I've hosed my AR down after dusty camping trips that got it REALLY gritty.  Just rack the action a couple of times and let it drip dry.  Then Clean.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:01:15 PM EDT
[#12]
When I went through basic training (Army) in '91, we didn't "drownproof" like they did on the show you mentioned.

All we did, was learn (and practice) how to make an improvised flotation device by using your BDU trousers. No other gear was involved.

Of course that was 14 years ago...YMMV.

*christ I feel old*
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:06:03 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
When I went through basic training (Army) in '91, we didn't "drownproof" like they did on the show you mentioned.

All we did, was learn (and practice) how to make an improvised flotation device by using your BDU trousers. No other gear was involved.

Of course that was 14 years ago...YMMV.

*christ I feel old*

I did that in AIT in 00' Im sure they still do it now.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:00:44 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a bunch of old weights I could just tie around myself I suppose.

Any new Army recruits know if I am going to be swimming with a rifle?

I am going to go for some swims in BDU's and boots at least. So at least I'll be ready for that.

Now I just have to get some weight off my fatass friend so we can join up. I was about to go solo when he asked me to help him so he could join as well.

His training starts tomorrow
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:03:21 PM EDT
[#15]
IBTAB

(In Before The Aqua Bump)

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:26:24 PM EDT
[#16]
I've done Army swim quals and "drown proofing" for PT, sucked ass. to echo Stickman rubber duckies are used, real M16 front ends(everything from the bbl nut forward) and the rest is molded plastic/rubber.

Steve
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:03:06 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I have a bunch of old weights I could just tie around myself I suppose.

Any new Army recruits know if I am going to be swimming with a rifle?

I am going to go for some swims in BDU's and boots at least. So at least I'll be ready for that.

Now I just have to get some weight off my fatass friend so we can join up. I was about to go solo when he asked me to help him so he could join as well.

His training starts tomorrow

Why wait.........sign up now and continue training! Those Drill Sgt's will knock that weight off of you REAL fast!

I lost about 20 lbs in basic and I was no fatty!
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 9:56:34 AM EDT
[#18]
My weight is no problem. I am 5' 9'' and 165lbs. Buddy is like 230ish and 6 foot. He has to loose weight before they will even take him.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:10:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Even salt water is not a problem if you take care of it shortly after exposure.  Some light surface rust may have taken place, but CLP and a brush takes care of it.  After an operation, we would rinse them off in the showers and soak them down in CLP.  

Dan

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:13:11 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
IBTAB

(In Before The Aqua Bump)

I'm supprised it took that long to mention that.
Yeah, just remember, if you're going to bumpfire undewater, post pics... and a video, don't just tease us about the video.  That was plain mean.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:55:24 PM EDT
[#21]
If you absolutely have to shoot when you come out of the water, aim the gun at the ground, pull the charging handle back, hold it open for a few seconds until the water has ran out. It also doesn't hurt to partially charge it a few times to make sure there's nothing left. Never shoot an AR straight out of the water. I'm sure you're aware, but don't shoot it underwater either.

Always clean immeadiately after you're done shooting. Also, don't submerge it unless you absolutely have to. Salt water can cause some very major problems, and will need extensive cleaning. Just because it's been done does not mean it's safe. Do everything possible to keep your gun out of the water.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top