Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2005 4:33:29 AM EDT

Anyone have any experieice with this rifle?

Patriot Sniper Rifle Review---PDF File
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:44:58 AM EDT
[#1]
No, but it sounds interesting.  I have used the Black Hill re-man ammo and it does shoot well. Personal best with a similar set up, 1/3 inch at 100, using Black Hill blue box 77gr. I also know the .223 out of a 20 inch barrel is capable of good accuracy out to 500 yards. I am not that great of a shot but I was able to shoot 1/2 MOA, using Black Hills Blue box 75 gr.
MB
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:48:29 AM EDT
[#2]
A buddy of mine in the Houston PD was going on about this rifle a while back.  I have one (not from Patriot) almost identical to this one, but it is built on a Krieger barrel and will hold 1/2 MOA to 600 yards with me on the trigger.  This rifle from Patriot is no joke, I assure you.  I am sad to see the Badger forend.  I hate mine and will eventually replace it with a LaRue.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:04:56 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
A buddy of mine in the Houston PD was going on about this rifle a while back.  I have one (not from Patriot) almost identical to this one, but it is built on a Krieger barrel and will hold 1/2 MOA to 600 yards with me on the trigger.  This rifle from Patriot is no joke, I assure you.  I am sad to see the Badger forend.  I hate mine and will eventually replace it with a LaRue.  YMMV.

Well its a long distance shooter not a door kicker so there probably isn't much need for extra rail space, and I'll be weight was a factor. (Not sure how much the Badger weighs) That and the flat bottom of the Badger might make for a better rest.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:34:11 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Well its a long distance shooter not a door kicker so there probably isn't much need for extra rail space, and I'll be weight was a factor. (Not sure how much the Badger weighs) That and the flat bottom of the Badger might make for a better rest.

The Badger is F-ing heavy, using a bipod negates most of the value of the flat bottom and the thing is not solid enough for mounting anything on the top-and only- rail (i.e., scope rings moved forward for eye relief).  The "tube" shifts with just a little pressure.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:52:44 AM EDT
[#5]
tag
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:57:59 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a hard time taking something serious when they show a box of extreme shock ammo with their product.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 5:59:59 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I have a hard time taking something serious when they show a box of extreme shock ammo with their product.

Excellent point, but don't put that on the rifle manufacturer.  Blame those who wrote the article.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:19:25 AM EDT
[#8]
Just bought the magazine last night.

Looks good.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:30:04 AM EDT
[#9]

When we were "in the zone," our best three-round groups averaged around 1/3 MOA at 650 yards."

So what does this mean exactly?    If "in the zone" means the groups are exceptionally good for that day, then by definition it will be exceptional.  It's like a guy I know who throws out flyers when computing group size because they don't demonstrate "what the rifle is capable of."

The crux of shooting accurately at long range is wind estimation.   And it's not hard to find an AR15 barrel that will shoot 1/3 MOA groups when "in the zone" (I love that).

So basically, you've got a heavy-ass varminter with a good trigger, a very good barrel, and a $2000 scope.

-z
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:36:25 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

When we were "in the zone," our best three-round groups averaged around 1/3 MOA at 650 yards."

So what does this mean exactly?    If "in the zone" means the groups are exceptionally good for that day, then by definition it will be exceptional.  It's like a guy I know who throws out flyers when computing group size because they don't demonstrate "what the rifle is capable of."

The crux of shooting accurately at long range is wind estimation.   And it's not hard to find an AR15 barrel that will shoot 1/3 MOA groups when "in the zone" (I love that).

So basically, you've got a heavy-ass varminter with a good trigger, a very good barrel, and a $2000 scope.

-z

Yes.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:44:53 AM EDT
[#11]
I've been to Jerod's facility in Jefferson Georgia. The article says Buford Georgia, but that's only where the P.O. Box is. I was extremely impressed with his shop and he allowed a friend and I the opportunity to have "free reign" there and pretty much play with whatever we wanted. Not only that, he's just a stand up guy. I got the chance to shoot and play with some things that I normally would never get to play with much unless I head to one of the long range matches, where there is variety.
I don't have any doubts that the rifle is capable of some outstanding accuracy as Jerod's attention to detail is almost to the point of being anal. He showed me some of the machine work he does and then showed the same machine work on a couple of rifles from G.A. Precision (rifles also capable of producing outstanding accuracy), and the difference was night and day. The machinework on Jerod's rifles were very clean and crisp looking, where as G.A.P.'s occasionally looked a little rough.  Just to be clear though, Jerod wasn't knocking Georges work (as they are friends), just emphasizing a point.
The downside is that Jerod's work is rather on the high side when it comes to price as he is a one man shop and can only do so much at one time, where as George Gardner with G.A.P. has 6 full time gunsmiths working under him and handles almost 600 projects a year.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:07:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Last I knew, 3 rounds was 3/5th of a group.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:27:00 AM EDT
[#13]

While I agree with you, you'll get many arguments to the contrary that say 3 rounds tests the rifle, 5 rounds tests the shooter-which I can't argue with either.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:01:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Looks like that rifle would be better served with a decent rail system.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:08:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Broughton barrels, I'm hearing about them more and more.

Fans of G.A. Precision were some of the first folks I was hearing rave reviews from.      Seems like a name that has popped up over night though that is probably not the case.

It's getting harder to try to make decisions on what to use for a build, Lija, Broughton, Schnieder, Obermyer, Rock, Pac-Nor, or Krieger the list is getting pretty lengthy.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:13:14 PM EDT
[#16]
I believe  Broughton  makes AI factory barrels ????
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:07:47 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

While I agree with you, you'll get many arguments to the contrary that say 3 rounds tests the rifle, 5 rounds tests the shooter-which I can't argue with either.

Anyone who can't shoot a good 5 round group thinks that 3 round groups are fine.  I'll bet that is why the 3 round group is has gained in popularity.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:12:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:33:31 PM EDT
[#19]
"in the zone" == throw out any group larger than 1/2 MOA  
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:40:56 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
"in the zone" == throw out any group larger than 1/2 MOA  

Depending on who is watching, it can also mean your 3 closest shots out of your 10 round group.....
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 10:11:39 AM EDT
[#21]
tag
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:04:29 PM EDT
[#22]
3 round groups are okay in a bolt gun that holds 3 rounds. For anything that holds 5 or more, I'd like to see some 5 shot groups.

That's still impressive for the most part though.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:32:20 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm sure alot of the guys here could build a rifle just as capable as the one shown in the article....except alot cheaper.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:17:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Bump.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 6:26:46 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I'm sure alot of the guys here could build a rifle just as capable as the one shown in the article....except alot cheaper.

No you can't!!!!  That takes a master gunsmith!!!!

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:00:39 AM EDT
[#26]
this Roadfly needs a password....

anyone?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top