Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2005 12:38:23 PM EDT
I currently have a Bushmaster 20inch A2. Yeah it is pretty basic and I have had it for a few months. I have taken it to the range and shot it a few time but I am not someone who goes to the range a lot. Each range trip I fire about 20-50 rounds slowly loading up 5 rounds into my single 30 round magazine. A friend convinced me to get an AR-15 and I thought I would give it a try. However, I am not having very much fun with it. I attend an indoor 25 yard range and my shooting consists of me taping a target and sending it back to 25 yards. I shoot 5 rounds standing and try to get good groups.

My friend has a Bushmaster M4 with all the stuff, like an Aimpoint, BUIS, Phantom, Tango Down Vertical Grip, Rails, and accessories like that. He seems to have a lot of fun shooting his gun quickly and trying to rip of 30 rounds fast. He also shoots double and triple taps. He told me that to have fun with my rifle I need to do stuff like this but I think it is a waste of ammo. What seems to appeal to most users doesn’t really appeal to me. Most people on this forum seem to like customizing their rifle and adding stuff, as well as shooting a lot of ammo with 30 rounds magazines. I do not enjoy that aspect of the AR-15.

Like I said I just want to enjoy this rifle and I cannot seem to really enjoy it. Does anyone here have any tips as to what you do to have fun with your AR-15 20 inch A2’s? Thanks everyone for your support and help!
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:40:26 PM EDT
[#1]
The range is your problem. 25yrd is a pistol range. You need to go to a nice outdoor range that goes out to at least 200yrds to have fun with any rifle. 25yrds is no challenge.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:47:35 PM EDT
[#2]
The shortest distance I shoot my AR is 100 yards. I accurately shoot it out to 600 yards.  I could not imagine shooting an AR at only 25 yards. That is handgun distance. I got a 9mm Glock for 25yards. More challenging and cheap to shoot.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:54:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:00:53 PM EDT
[#4]
When I first bought my AR the only place I had to shoot was a 25yrd indoor range.  I absolutely loved the AR but it was so boring shooting it indoors at 25yrds.  Like everyone else said stop shooting indoors and find a good outdoor range
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:11:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Indoor ranges suck.  It's not just the noise, smell, and short ranges either.  It's just not that fun to be in a confined area like that, especially with a rifle.  Firing a 22lr target pistol indoors is fine, but for most other stuff, it's nice to be outside.  It's hard to find outdoor ranges or friendly farmers that will let you shoot on their property, but it's better to try that route.  The 20 inch, A2 is a fine starting ar rifle.  You don't need to spend a fortune and buy all the latest gear to have fun.  Learning iron sights first, is the best thing you can do.  

One of the reasons people like the ar so much is that it shoots ammunition that is probably the cheapest centerfire rifle cartridge there is, with a lot of different bullet weights and lengths available.  If you shoot a lot, cheap is good.  Magazines are cheap too.  The modular aspect, and interchangeability of parts is also a good thing.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:16:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I like the fact that they are easy to put together by yourself and the endless amonut of configurations.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:19:36 PM EDT
[#7]
A 25-yard range is just fine for some people, but if you are not having fun, try to find an outdoor range that has 100 or more yrds.

www.nrahq.org/shootingrange/findlocal.asp
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:29:55 PM EDT
[#8]
I also, only load about 5 to 10 rounds on the mag when I shoot most of the time with my rifles. (Otherwise, I burn through ammo like you wouldn't believe) Like the others have said, try to find an outdoor range and go have fun with that. Outdoor ranges are more fun by a bunch. No comparason in my opinion.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:33:45 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Like I said I just want to enjoy this rifle and I cannot seem to really enjoy it. Does anyone here have any tips as to what you do to have fun with your AR-15 20 inch A2’s? Thanks everyone for your support and help!

Get a RDIAS or LL. But that's an addiction you may not want to stomach just yet.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:39:49 PM EDT
[#10]
I've never shot an AR (or anything else, for that matter) indoors. Shooting outside in the sunshine is the only way to do it.

The real fun begins when you start shooting at longer distances and actually hit what you're aiming at. You get a feeling of acomplishment when you tag something at 300, 350, 400yds and beyond. You get some bragging rights to your friends too

Personally, I'd say get outside to have some fun. It can't be the same indoors.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:43:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
.....The 20 inch, A2 is a fine starting ar rifle.  You don't need to spend a fortune and buy all the latest gear to have fun.  Learning iron sights first, is the best thing you can do......

I would agree with Lazyshooter. Learning to use the iron sights first is a great place to start. You can learn to practice your sight picture and sight alignment. Try targets at different distances. Work on developing tight groups. Try to compete against yourself. Maybe try a couple of targets side by side and take turns shooting at one (w/5 rds.) and then the other (w/ 5 rds.). Try different shooting positions (prone - lying down, kneeling, standing, behind barriers, etc.) You can really enjoy your shooting experience with a little effort.

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 2:18:20 AM EDT
[#12]
The AR-15 is simply the most versatile weapons platform EVER developed.  You can pretty much name a caliber (within some reasonableness) and there is an upper chambered for it!  Add that to the lightweight, ease of assembly as earlier mentioned, and all of the chambering options with the same operation of the weapon.  It is fantastic that why I own..........a few'.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 2:37:59 AM EDT
[#13]
bump fire it underwater!  its the funnest thing you'd ever do with it!
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 5:39:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Shooting at longer ranges is a challenge just remeber real world shooting distances havent changed much in 60 years.Well under 50 yds 70% of the time is what you would most likeley use if you really had to use it.I have seen repotrs from Iraq posted here that show most engagements are taking place under 39 yds.It may not be a challenge at those distances but they are real combat distances.Besides when I shoot long range out to 200 yds Im using my M14 clone anyway.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:12:32 AM EDT
[#15]
My only option is a 100 yd indoor range around here. Bad lighting, very loud, and not nearly as much fun as the free for all I was able to do on the farm in Georgia.  
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 7:55:36 AM EDT
[#16]
You need some challenges.  Nothing challenges you more than competition.  Find some tactical rifle or highpower rifle matches near you.  Try them both.  Then dive into the one that suits you best.

I prefer the challenge of precision marksmanship with iron sights out to 600 yards, so I shoot highpower.  I also believe that the mastery of the fundamentals learned there will transfer to other shooting styles.  I don't think the reverse is as true.  I am sure I will try something more high speed in the future, though, as that looks like fun as well.  Available free time is the enemy, though.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 8:45:42 AM EDT
[#17]
For years, I'd hit the range for  a day of shooting, the gun bug  has hit,so I have  13 rifles of various makes,7 handguns  of various calibers and makes,started reloading,each rifle and handgun liked certain load and bullet designs and weights etc. Ended up  with a bunch of tack  drivers.
Also purchased some periodic six shooter and carbines, all were a hoot to shoot,but after of years,got kinda boring, I could basically hit anything I  shot at.
So,after talking to some gun buddies, I got into competition shooting, that turned out to be what was needed.
I love to shoot period, but it wasnt much  challenge after awhile.

Competition,thought I'd kick ass when I'd first started,but to make a long story short,shooting under a timer  and different shooting senerios,even at target close in was slow going.

Now days I can race through it and hit what Im shooting at,but their is alot of such shooters adoing a much.

But, your with like minded folks,most are there for fun & humor,but their is some serious shooters.

Also,  you may consider Cowboy shooting, you'll be operating two six shooter,carbine and a shotgun  in a matter of minutes,multiple guns in  each shooting stage, all shooters can learned alot by cowboy shooters.

TG

Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:09:47 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Also,  you may consider Cowboy shooting, you'll be operating two six shooter,carbine and a shotgun  in a matter of minutes,multiple guns in  each shooting stage, all shooters can learned alot by cowboy shooters.

No shit, I've seen on TV what the good ones in CAS can do with a lever rifle, SA revolver, and a side by side, and it's mind blowing.  They are wicked fast and deadly accurate.  I think they can walk on to any HSLD tactical match and soon kick ass.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 12:32:47 PM EDT
[#19]
It's a Battle rifle or a barbie doll and everything in between, have fun with it
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top