Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/4/2005 8:53:19 PM EDT
I shoot left handed and I'm looking for a lefty AR15. The only company I've found that makes them is Stag. Does anyone else make lefty AR's?   I have my eye on an Olympic Arms AR, but I don't think they make left handed models.

My other question is this.......do I really need a left handed gun?  Do any left handed people shoot standard AR's?  I'm worried about getting some hot brass in the face...is that something that I need to worry about...or it that pretty uncommon?

Thanks for the help
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:13:52 PM EDT
[#1]
I think DPMS makes a lefty as well. Many southpaws shoot regular AR's with no problems including every lefty in the armed forces with an issued M16 or M4.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:48:41 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I think DPMS makes a lefty as well. Many southpaws shoot regular AR's with no problems including every lefty in the armed forces with an issued M16 or M4.

I'm sitting right now with an M16A2 in my lap. I'm a southpaw, and have no problems at all. Had to re-rig my three point sling a bit, but other then that it's a stock rgiht handed rifle.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 9:51:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I shoot left handed, and even though I don't yet have an AR, I am considering the changes I will make to a normal (right-handed) rifle. I think I can manage with just the ambi safety modification ($20ish), and if I really want to I could slap an ambi mag catch on there ($90ish), but I don't really think that's worth it.

As far as the brass ejection goes, it's not really that big of a deal. I shot an SP1 left-handed and I didnt even have any brass come close to my face... so I think the brass would become even more of a non-issue with an upper that has a brass deflector.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:03:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I shoot lefty too. get a right handed model. any other AR you shoot will be a right handed one, so you might as well get used to shooting it that way.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 10:08:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Another lefty checking in No need for a left handed AR IMO. The brass deflector does all the work, except on my SP1 upper...ouch brass to the cheek
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 1:52:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Been shooting a right hand model lefty for a few years.  Haven't taken any brass to the head yet ....
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 5:17:45 AM EDT
[#7]
I shoot left handed and have two DPMS lefty's and several right hand AR's and don't really see any difference.  Have ambi safety's on all and it is a convience not a neccessity.  Other than filling the "I don't have one of those void" I don't think they are necessary.
Link Posted: 8/6/2005 9:27:02 PM EDT
[#8]
I shoot a standard AR lefty and have had zero problems with it.  I don't have an ambi safety either, just use the trigger finger and it works just fine.  I would avoid the lefty specific models just for the sake of parts availability.  I would imagine that left eject bolt carrier groups are pretty hard to find, moreso if you need it "right now."
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:41:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Another lefty here with zero problems out of my AR15 (and other weapons such as AK and FAL).

I recommend the ambi safety. As mentioned, it is not hard to go without, but it is a nice little addition that makes life easier. I don't use any other type of "lefty" modifications.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:09:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Another leftie shooting right handed ARs. No reason at all to buy a left handed AR.

Lumpy posted this pic in another thread, this is how it’s done.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:22:54 AM EDT
[#11]
No need to go lefty. Possibly an ambi- safety add on. In fact a lefty may have an advantage on reloads, no need to break cheek weld.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:39:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a DPMS Southpaw upper receiver.  The only left-handed part it requires is the DPMS Southpaw bolt.  The Southpaw bolt uses the same parts as a standard bolt, with the angle of the cam pin hole being the only difference from the right-handed bolt.  The Southpaw bolt is only available in .223/5.56, so there aren't as many options available with a Southpaw upper.  

It's a nice novelty, but I doubt I'll buy another.

I have an ambi-safety, but haven't made up my mind about buying an ambi-catch.  I'd probably be more likely to try one if they weren't so expensive.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:53:30 PM EDT
[#13]
As the others said, no need for a lefty, I too m left-handed and have never been hit by brass.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:32:39 PM EDT
[#14]
i'm lefty, never had brass yet either.

i find every function/button normal using it lefty.
i switch the normal safety with my right hand, very easily (pointer finger, one sweep).
i release mags with my right hand as i take them out, i hit the bolt catch/release fine.
as well as charge the weapon.

i honestly didn't even think about it before i got one, i just adapted without thinking about it, i'm sort of ambi as it is thoug...sportswise.

i don't see the need for a lefty AR at all.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 6:05:13 PM EDT
[#15]
no you really dont need a lefty but since they are available why not ?

stag makes a really nice flat top true lefty model

and Dpms make a good A2 and a chunky flat top.

if you go flat top go with stag,

reasons to get a lefty

cause you can

and my personal experances with the righty even with the bump. never hit in the face with brass but have had
gunky grit  shoot out the port onto my glasses good thing i was wearing some or it would have been my eye.

while zeroing off a shade tree bench (tree stump)  have had hot brass land on bend of my arm which is very destracting.

if using a aimpoint or acog and the berden (sp?) sigt methoud it may take some getting used to seeing that brass
shoot across your face (again never hit with any on the face)

also fun to see your right handed buddies who always shoot your gun since all they own are .22s shoot  a left handed rifle (stag should have left the deflector off more fun that way)

another reason and this applys for the stag since its shell bump is on the other side is if using a tactical sling the shell bump is not poking you in the belly i know some are thinking oh but the forward assist still will nope its a few inches back which keeps if off center of the spare tire.

as far as down falls

wellll

they do use left exclusive parts the stag requires a lefty bolt a lefty carrier and lefty barrel and lefty upper recevier
but unless your going to war and see yourself needing a replacment parts this is not really a problem

the dpms only a lefty bolt and lefty receiver,

also if you like to shoot from the hip (hollywood style) brass goes the other way insted of at you.

from a lefty to a lefty.

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 9:55:12 PM EDT
[#16]
BILLBO - I'm with you on this. I have a STAG WOA built lefty and I'll tell you that all the left handed shooters that I let shoot my true left handed AR say that they have to get them selves one of the these. There is something about a piece of equipment that's built for your style of shooting, plus not having brass flying in the general area of ones face. I guess I'm purest and I choose to be that way. Plus, I just read somewhere (I think it was one of the write-ups on the STAG web site) that in a IRAQ, an AR that spends brass on the left for the driver is at is highly desirable due to fact it won't be sending brass towards the right side shooter. Interesting bit of information that I never thought of either.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 10:14:10 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm lefty and really thought about buying a lefty ar, Stag and DPMS (their's just ejects left side I think) are the only two I've found but it cuts your resale value and I've never had any problems shooting left with a normal ar.  You can add on a casing deflector if you're worried about it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 12:13:39 AM EDT
[#18]
I also thought I needed a Lefty and purchased one from DPMS, but I do not think you need a lefty. It shot good and everything but you loose the brass deflector, forward assist and you cannot just purchase a Carrier and Bolt at any shop encase you Carrier and Bolt does go bad.
Stick with the right hand version.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:24:22 AM EDT
[#19]
commenting on the brass passing by your face above.
it may happen, but i don't remember seeing it, i'm more focused on the target.

i really think the normal layout of the ar15/m16/m4 is lefty friendly.
the ONLY thing that could be nice, is the forward assist, but how often do you use that?

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 10:10:46 AM EDT
[#20]
I have a DPMS lefty and it works just fine for me......I really didn't need to buy one either since I am used to shooting right handed bolts and semi-autos but they are available and why not buy them if they are?........there are plenty of lefties out there to buy them if you ever intend to sell one.....
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 1:43:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Another left handed shooter.  Not a problem ever since the shell deflector was introduced.  Besides, buying a dedicated left handed upper now requires stocking up on non standardized parts.

Anybody remember the days when there was no such thing as a flat top upper and you had to use one of those Army issued clip on brass deflectors?  
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 2:25:48 PM EDT
[#22]
You should be able to operate an Ar-15 left handed with no problems.  the brass deflector was added specifically because of poor bastards like you getting bopped in the nose with spent brass.  The charging handle is in a perfect location to be used with either hand, and the selector is easily switched with the index finger when left handed.

I would recommend against a lefty AR becuase 1. parts will be expensive (and probably proprietary) if something breaks and much harder to get, and 2.  you will have a hell of a time firing someone elses AR as all your training will be with a reversed weapon.

You could do some minimal modifications of the rifle, such as an abmi bolt catch, selector, etc. but I would really suggest trying out the rifle first in stock configuration.  I think you will be suprised how comparativley lefty-friendly the AR-15 is.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 3:56:54 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm a lefty shooter and I have no problems shooting my slabside or my A2-type rifles.

With my slabside, I get nicked by brass about once every thirty or forty rounds.  No big deal; I don't have to stop shooting to get a BandAid! Never hit me above the cheekbone.

An unanticipated benefit of the slabside is that without the case deflector, all my brass lands right over my shoulder in a pile.  I don't need to go chasing it or use a screen to keep it from hitting my neighbor, as I do with the A2.

With a modern A2-type rifle, I'd say it's nearly impossible to get hit with your own brass- so don't worry about that.  Unless you are specifically looking for an old slabside (no case deflector or assist) or an A1 (no case deflector), you will have no problems at all.

The only possible warning I would have for you is, if you don't wear glasses anyhow, you should be wearing shooting glasses when shooting.  But that's what the rule book says about anyone target shooting or hunting in the first place.  Just makes sense.  After all, when you're in a line of rifle shooters, it's not just your own brass that's flying around.

Good shooting.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:08:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Not necessary for the AR15.  Find one you like and enjoy.  Just get the ambi safety and your set.

Max
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:45:50 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I shoot left handed and I'm looking for a lefty AR15. The only company I've found that makes them is Stag. Does anyone else make lefty AR's?   I have my eye on an Olympic Arms AR, but I don't think they make left handed models.

My other question is this.......do I really need a left handed gun?  Do any left handed people shoot standard AR's?  I'm worried about getting some hot brass in the face...is that something that I need to worry about...or it that pretty uncommon?

Thanks for the help

Disregard the advice about not “needing” a left-handed rifle.  I have never sold a firearm and have no intention of selling one.

If you want one, get it.  I am a southpaw and refuse to compromise when it comes to firearms.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:09:07 PM EDT
[#26]
I am a lefty.  I resisted doing anything special for any of my AR's for quite some time, but after watching a video of a guy doing mag changes left-handed posted by someone on AR15.com a few months ago, I decided an ambi-catch might help me out with speed re-loads.  New-arguy installed one for me on my M4, and it really helped.  Since then, i've put an ambi-catch and ambi-safety on each of my rifles.  I feel like I have better control with these two devices.  When building my lightweight, I deliberately decided against the A1 upper without the brass deflector even though it was a bit lighter, because I have had brass hit me in the face while shooting New-arguy's lightweight without the brass deflector.  
The only other concession I make to being "wrong-handed" is to put my slings on to accommodate shooting left-handed.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top