Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/3/2005 5:26:30 PM EDT
So I just moved from a BLUE state (MD) to a red state (OH), and lo and behold - I'm worse off!  Columbus City Council just passed the most restrictive ban I have ever seen outside of CA.  The NRA bailed on their meeting, a state constitutional challenge is almost certain (again), and Im' confused about what the law will mean for me and my 7+ AR15s.....thoughts?  Misery loves company...
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:30:24 PM EDT
[#1]
You obviously didn't do your homework before leaving. OH was the FL in 2004 and that was because there is a HUGE liberal population there. How CCW passed there astounded me.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:34:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I lived there for years BTW and I returned last year. The ONLY public indoor range charged nearly 20/hr on rifle range, forbade FMJ ammunition and required SINGLE shot (one round in the mag).

I was in my gym when this trainer (also a cop) remarked how his job's really going to suck with that AWB sunset, since machine guns are going to flood the streets.

Welcome. Now get busy becomming the gadfly upon the ass of OH legislators. Best of luck to you and keep fighting.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:41:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm in the same boat. I'm trying to keep faith though. There are already lawsuits in the works to oppose it and Ohio is trying to pass a state wide law that would prohibit this type of ban. The Ohio law is being done by the same guy who got CCW for Ohio. Just keep you fingers crossed and phone or email your state rep.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:00:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 7:12:43 AM EDT
[#5]
If you want to fix things, join Ohioans For Concealed Carry and donate to the Buckeye Firearms Association.  Join their email alert lists and join the Ohio CCW Forums.  Any donation to OFCC or BFA will help.  
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 2:10:26 PM EDT
[#6]
The problem is you moved to the city. Most of the rest of Ohio is fine.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:43:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Yes, Columbus is a liberal mecca here. Their city council (that passed this law) is predominantly Democrat. So, what do you expect?
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:55:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Sounds similar to a lot of other mid-western cities
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:58:35 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Yes, Columbus is a liberal mecca here. Their city council (that passed this law) is predominantly Democrat. So, what do you expect?

Republicans didn't even field a candidate in the last election.
If that gives you any idea how bad things are in the city.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 11:59:36 AM EDT
[#10]
BTW, welcome to central Ohio.
Be sure to keep an eye in the HOMETOWN > OHIO forum regarding our get togethers.
Especially the upcoming Labor Day shoot and BBQ.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 12:17:46 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Im' confused about what the law will mean for me and my 7+ AR15s.....thoughts?  Misery loves company...

the law takes affect 11 aug 05...........in a nutshell here is what it means, you will have 90 days to register those evil weapons, with the license section of the dept. of public safety.........truthfully, this only apllies to commiebus, it's not like commiefornia where the entire state has a AWB ban........if you go out of the city to shoot, they are not going to be asking you for a registration card on those weapons...........and don't get the idea I'm telling you to break any law........just pointing out a fact. if you find registration untasteful, and you are renting........I would move to the suburb of commiebus........or if you have a very trusted friend you would put your life in his hands, have him hold your rifle, so they are not in the city limits.

but I gotta tell you, deep down, I have my doubts that there will be a shit load of people registering theirs.......it might be a small percentage of what really is there.

www.columbuscitycouncil.org/assaultweaponban/pdf/1154-2005.pdf
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 11:52:05 AM EDT
[#12]
But it's OK if the law-abiding owners don't register their evil guns. As long as the criminals register theirs, the law might have some impact.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:46:43 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I lived there for years BTW and I returned last year. The ONLY public indoor range charged nearly 20/hr on rifle range, forbade FMJ ammunition and required SINGLE shot (one round in the mag).

I was in my gym when this trainer (also a cop) remarked how his job's really going to suck with that AWB sunset, since machine guns are going to flood the streets.

Welcome. Now get busy becomming the gadfly upon the ass of OH legislators. Best of luck to you and keep fighting.

Dude, I'm not sure what indoor range you went to but there are at least two of them that I can think of that are $15 for as long as you want and have decent prices on their ammo.  The only thing you can't shoot is bare lead (except 22LR) and I have never heard of the mag rule ever.  Kolumbus has it's problems but it isn't that bad.  If you are moving to Kolumbus and are actually moving into the city limits back out now if you can.  Don't go to Dublin either they have nearly the same ban.  This ban is in serious trouble and I know a few cops that made it very clear they couldn't care less about this AWB and had no intentions of doing anything to enforce it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:18:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Perhaps a great tactic for our side (read PRO.org) would be to find out how many weapons are registered, and then make a big deal in the newspaper about how many AR15's are registered in Columbus (I'm going to guess less than 100).  Then point out how the law is costing Columbus 15 million in NRA money, and 2 million in legal fees (again).  All this money and hassle of regular law-abiding citizens just to register just 79 weapons. (or however many eventually get registered.)
It would really make the city council look insane, (not that they need any help)
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 1:32:06 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Dude, I'm not sure what indoor range you went to but there are at least two of them that I can think of that are $15 for as long as you want and have decent prices on their ammo.  The only thing you can't shoot is bare lead (except 22LR) and I have never heard of the mag rule ever.  Kolumbus has it's problems but it isn't that bad.  

Dude, I was talking about living in OH, not Columbus. I was in Cleveland and the only show in town was Stonewalls Indoor range which is guilty of all things I pointed out (and they have an incompetant gunsmith to boot).
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:26:09 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
You obviously didn't do your homework before leaving. OH was the FL in 2004 and that was because there is a HUGE liberal population there. How CCW passed there astounded me.

The reason's we were able get concealed carry in Ohio was the Work of a few good Pro gun State legislators, Forgive me but I don't know all of there names. Jim aslaidis was one? Ohioans for concealed carry, "OFCC.net" and all people who participated in the open carry walks I think had a huge impact. Another big reason was the national republican party started leaning on Taft because his anti gun policy was hurting the presidents reelection campaign in the all important state of Ohio.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:29:33 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dude, I'm not sure what indoor range you went to but there are at least two of them that I can think of that are $15 for as long as you want and have decent prices on their ammo.  The only thing you can't shoot is bare lead (except 22LR) and I have never heard of the mag rule ever.  Kolumbus has it's problems but it isn't that bad.  

Dude, I was talking about living in OH, not Columbus. I was in Cleveland and the only show in town was Stonewalls Indoor range which is guilty of all things I pointed out (and they have an incompetant gunsmith to boot).

Cleveland is not Ohio it's southern Canada!  I have heard alot about Stonewalls Indoor range, and for the life of me I can't think of one thing that was good.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 2:32:13 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
So I just moved from a BLUE state (MD) to a red state (OH), and lo and behold - I'm worse off!  Columbus City Council just passed the most restrictive ban I have ever seen outside of CA.  The NRA bailed on their meeting, a state constitutional challenge is almost certain (again), and Im' confused about what the law will mean for me and my 7+ AR15s.....thoughts?  Misery loves company...

SecondFangle, Just keep your rifles out of Columbus city limits. It's another stupid toothless ban. The only thing it does is keep you from buying new guns and keeping them at your home if you Live in Kolumbus. Don't register your rifles just keep them at a relatives out of town. I'm not a lawyer, just my opinion. Check out and read my existing thread on this subject. http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=12&t=202289 Email me from a non ar15.com email server if I be of help.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:51:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Just make sure that when Coleman runs for Governor, he doesn't even get close. And he will run. I have known his family for years. He is running, and he will turn our State into the California ofthe East. Don't let it happen!!!

Be well!

[email protected]
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:40:03 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Cleveland is not Ohio it's southern Canada!  

More like eastern Detroit... the downtown at least.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 10:08:07 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

OHIO NEEDS  
Firearms Preemption Laws

Anti-gun proposals at the federal level receive the most attention, but similar proposals and restrictive ordinances at the local level also threaten honest gun owners` rights and the fundamental American principle of equal protection under the law for all citizens. Local ordinances more restrictive than the laws of a state may also violate the "right to keep and bear arms" protections afforded by that state`s constitution, as well as the Second Amendment to the Constitution of the United States.1

The problem with local firearm ordinances is also one of sheer variety. Where no uniform state laws are in place, the result can be a complex patchwork of restrictions that change from one local jurisdiction to the next. But it is unreasonable to require citizens, whether residents of a given state or persons passing through or visiting a state, to memorize a myriad of laws. Where so many ordinances exist, citizens with no criminal intent are placed in jeopardy of running afoul of restrictions they don`t even know exist. This can affect hunters, target shooters and firearm collectors who travel through multiple jurisdictions on the way to hunting areas, shooting ranges, and exhibitions. Additionally, individuals who travel with firearms for personal protection are at risk of breaking the law simply by crossing from one municipality to another. If charged with a violation of an obscure local ordinance, the honest gun owner faces, at the very least, great expense and devotion of time to clearing his or her good name in

court, and retrieving any firearms and other property confiscated by law enforcement officials.

To prevent the problems associated with restrictive local ordinances, 44 states have enacted "firearm preemption laws"--laws that prevent local jurisdictions from imposing ordinances more restrictive than laws passed by the state legislature and, in some cases, rescind local ordinances to ensure uniform firearm laws statewide.2

The NRA works with gun owners and lawmakers to enact preemption laws in the few states that still permit local ordinances more restrictive than state law. To ensure uniform firearm laws throughout your state and to guarantee equal rights for all, support statewide firearms preemption.

1. The constitutions of 44 of the 50 states contain provisions protecting the right to arms. The six states the constitutions of which do not contain such provisions are California, Iowa, Maryland, Minnesota, New Jersey, and New York. (Wisconsin adopted its constitutional amendment in 1998.) The District of Columbia, as a federal jurisdiction, is protected by the Second Amendment to the U.S. Constitution.

2. Alaska, Hawaii, Illinois, Nebraska and Ohio do not have statewide firearm preemption of local ordinances. Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Jersey, and New York have preemption through judicial ruling, not statute. In Massachusetts, local ordinances may be imposed if approved by the state legislature.

THIS  WOULD CLEAR UP THINGS  SUCH AS OPEN CARRY  AND LOCAL ORDNANCES.

OPEN CARRY WOULD BE EVERY WHERE IN OHIO  . UNDER STATE LAW IT IS LEGAL NOW.
NO LOCAL BANS OR SILLY LAWS
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top