Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2005 1:09:06 PM EDT
I was wondering whether anyone thinks 1:7 is too high a rate of twist for 55gr. 5.56 ammo. Will this cause over stabilization? Most of the old Colt Sporters seem to be 1:7. Also, do any Colts have chrome lined bores? Like older prebans with A1 sights? That's kind of what I'm looking for. And a 5.56 chamber, but most Colts seem to be .223...unless they're just marked that way and actually all have a 5.56 chamber, I don't know..

As you can see, I need lots of help and any is appreciated!
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 1:17:29 PM EDT
[#1]
most new civilian colts have a 1:9 twist and a 5.56 chamber, and I think colt is only croming the chamber.

the top of the barrel will be marked with the twist and chamber.

the lower will usually  say 223/5.56 go by the barrel marking for the chamber.

1:7 will work for 55gr but it is not ideal.

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 1:53:35 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I was wondering whether anyone thinks 1:7 is too high a rate of twist for 55gr. 5.56 ammo.
not necessarylyWill this cause over stabilization?what exactly is overstabilization? Most of the old Colt Sporters seem to be 1:7. Also, do any Colts have chrome lined bores?some do and some don't Like older prebans with A1 sights? That's kind of what I'm looking for. And a 5.56 chamber, but most Colts seem to be .223...unless they're just marked that way and actually all have a 5.56 chambermy guess would be that all chromelined colts have 5.56 chambers, I don't know..

As you can see, I need lots of help and any is appreciated!

Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:07:47 PM EDT
[#3]
No difference using 1/7 or 1/9 with 55 grain ammo at all in real life.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:25:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Read the Ammo-Oracle.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:55:59 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Read the Ammo-Oracle.

Have done so many times, but thank you for the suggestion.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top