Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2005 6:49:06 AM EDT
I am new to the AR so this is my first summer owning the gun and I gotta tell ya it was about 98 degrees saturday and after three thirty round mags I could not even hold the rifle with flight gloves on.Is this normal?I have a 16" DPMS,do shorter barreled guns get hot faster?This may sound stupid but I was thinking of drilling several more rows of holes in heat shields and fore arm.Has anyone tried this?Hell if it is done nice and neat might look kinda good ya know,the skelatized look.What do you guys think?
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:53:29 AM EDT
[#1]
at 98 degrees, the weapon is already warm.  Putting 3 30 round mags through it slwoly should not change the temp of the firearm that much, however dumping 3 mags will make it very hot, especially if you have a rail instead of standard handguards.  wear shooting glove on your non firing hand to keep the barrel from burning you.  a leather work glove works well too.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:32:57 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
...wear shooting glove on your non firing hand to keep the barrel from burning you.  a leather work glove works well too.

Use a plastic VFG and don't worry about the heat .
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:36:17 AM EDT
[#3]
What is a plastic VFG?I have the standard hand guard,I was just wonderering if more vent holes would help cool better.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:43:20 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
What is a plastic VFG?I have the standard hand guard,I was just wonderering if more vent holes would help cool better.

VFG = Vertical Foreward Grip. those thingys ppl have hang off the bottom of their handguards.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:50:03 AM EDT
[#5]
I guess I had that coming,need to get another cup of coffee.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 8:07:17 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

More vent holes won't help.  If you don't want a VFG then get a set of Colt double sheilded M4 handguards.  They are a bit fatter than the standard handguards but they keep your hands better protected.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:59:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Wear an oven mitt.  In tactical black of course.....
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 10:08:30 AM EDT
[#8]
I put 150 rounds through my AR the other day and it probably got hotter than it's ever been.  Maybe because I was trading off with a friend, where normally I would take small breaks.

The barrel actually started steaming, I guess it had some oil on it or something.  It was damn hot but I could still hold on to it OK.

Of course, it was only like 65 degrees out

Link Posted: 5/23/2005 10:58:14 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Wear an oven mitt.  In tactical black of course.....

It's standard issue for all spec op oven/cook masters.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 1:44:51 PM EDT
[#10]
tango down VG
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 2:03:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Could also look into a carbon fiber handguard.  I just got a couple from Hiperform.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 2:05:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 2:14:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Perhap's Brownell's has your answer:

Ceramic Inserts
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 2:22:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Get a set of Colt M4 handguards with the double heatshield. I swapped the old single shield guards out for the Colt handguards on my carbine, and now I have no problems with heat during rapid fire, even without gloves.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top