Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/23/2005 12:44:18 AM EDT
Would and 18 inch barrel with a mid length gas system be able to fit a standard bayonette?

Seems to me a 18 inch, mid length with an M4 stock would an answer to the Military's issues with  the M4 V. A2 problem.

More compact, one size fits all and would still get good bullet velocity.

What do you guys think?

Has it been done yet?

Any pics?

Link Posted: 5/23/2005 5:09:15 AM EDT
[#1]
The mid length gas system on a 16" barrel works with the bayonet.  An 18" with a mid length has as much barrel in front of the gas port as a 16" carbine system.

As for it being a solution, the military doesn't have an M4 vs A2 problem.  What they have is a ammunition problem that is being resolved as they come around and start buying more of the 77gr ammo that works well from both barrel lengths.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 12:05:34 PM EDT
[#2]
To make the bayonet work on a 18-inch barrel, the FSB have to be moved more forward and handguard should be longer from the mid length's 9 inches to at least 10 inches.

Also the gas tube have to be custom made because it's longer that the mid length gas tube.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 3:01:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Ok, so it would have to be longer than the mid length, as far as a gas tube goes, I am sure a standard tube could be cut down.

Sounds like a good build project.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 3:40:37 PM EDT
[#4]
SOUNDS LIKE A LOT OF FUN
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 3:42:21 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
as far as a gas tube goes, I am sure a standard tube could be cut down.

If you're thinking that you can trim a gas tube down, you'd be wrong, unless you plan on trimming something from the middle and welding the two ends back together.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:03:42 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you're thinking that you can trim a gas tube down, you'd be wrong, unless you plan on trimming something from the middle and welding the two ends back together.

Please explain.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:07:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm gonna keep my eye on this build!!!!
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 6:07:30 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Please explain.

The receiver end of the gas tube has a roll crimp in it so that it can seal into the carrier key.  The FSB end has a solid piece roll crimped into it to seal that end and the gas tube roll pin passes through that solid piece as well.

You chop off either end and you will end up with a nonfunctioning rifle due to gas leakage out of whatever end you cut.  The gas tube is a tad bit more than a simple open ended tube.

The only way to do this successfully, and if at all, would be to cut out the middle section on one of the straight runs and weld the receiver end and the FSB end back together, to preserve your sealing surfaces.  

It is far easier to buy the proper midlength gas tube.

Oh, and BTW, ADCO sells a stainless SPR profile 18" barrel with a midlength gas system.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:56:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Ok, I dig what you are saying about the tube.

I am talking about an 18 inch barrel, that has the handguards and FSB out far enough to accept a standard bayonette.

It seems the gas system would be between full length and mid length.

I will not be doing this build due to having to replace my duty rifle that was stolen.

I do however challenge someone to do a build like this. I would bet .gov would be interested in it.

ETA: I dub thee, the M-16 A5
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 9:33:15 PM EDT
[#10]
sp. = "bayonet"
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 2:38:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Moving the gas port on an existing barrel isn't easy either.  Having a single, custom made rifle will not only be expensive, but leave you with a lack of replacement parts if/when you need them.
Link Posted: 5/24/2005 5:34:32 AM EDT
[#12]
how about a barrel where the outside is threaded all the way down the length and the purchaser can rotate the FSB around until he gets it right where he wants it- then, all he has to do is mark it and use a dremel tool to drill the gas port.  you could then custom make your own gas tube out of a car antenna and that way you could have a rifle custom-made to your specs!  you'd be able to have a gas system in between a rifle and a mid length, or 1/3 of the way between a midlength and a rifle, or even 1/8 of the way in between a midlength and rifle!!  you could also take the same 36" barrel and cut it down to 4" after turning the FSB all the way to the end!!  and then, you'd have a 32" barrel left over for a varmint rig.  

i challenge someone to make THAT!!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top