Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2005 4:53:22 AM EDT
Okay I have a regestered pistol lower that is in desire to be built up. I have read EVER thread on pistols but I want something different.

I have talked to the guys  who build the 458 uppers and a custom upper is okay , It turns out the 458 is set up for a complete burn by 10" anyway.

So my qusetion is recoil. Im am not recoil shy ( my .50 BMG cured me of that) but would a 458 SOCOM be controlable. Just locking for advise from people who have fired this round.

Build plan
Grizzly "pistol" lower
10" A3 style 458 SOCOM upper.
ACE tube
RRA 2 stage trigger

Link Posted: 3/14/2005 5:06:09 AM EDT
[#1]
I shoot a lot of big bore handguns and the .458 SOCOM should not be all that bad.  It is not as "hot" as a Contender .45-70 even if the .458 SOCOM has a 16 inch barrel.  My 15 inch .45-70 TC outpaces the .458 SOCOM with a 16.5 inch barrel by about 200 fps with the 300 gr. X bullet in my firearms.  And since an AR pistol in .458 SOCOM is going to weigh more than does my TC, recoil is going to be even less. The only area that might increase felt recoil, flip actually, is because the bore sets much higher above the grip on the AR than it does on the Contender.  While it will have less recoil (less powder, less velocity, more weight=less recoil) it may have more muzzle flip.  A brake would take care of most of that though.  I too am going to have a 13 inch .458 SOCOM pistol upper built but too many things are going on right now so I am waiting until things settle down before having Marty build mine.  The lower is ready to go, all I need is the upper so maybe in a few months...
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 5:21:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, I was worried about the barrel flip too, Im a machinest so "turning" a few different brakes on a lathe  to try out wouldnt be hard at all. I could even make a perminent one to make it 16" OAL if the pistol doest work out.

Im wating for a reply on the cost and lead time, may be 2 months so I better get started !
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 5:37:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top