Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2005 6:24:08 AM EDT
http://www.defensetech.org/archives/001317.html

WTF?  Sounds like a good time to startup the 6.8 then eh?  The hell with the XM-8 POS.

Wasn't one of the main roadblocks for switching over to the 6.8 because there was too much 5.56 around?  And WTF, I thought that this happened before and we had to contract out Isreal for ammo?  WTF?

-MBD
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 6:58:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Not sure how much faith I'd put in that article. But if 5.56 were low in supply do you think the best thing to do would switch to a new round?

I dare say there is much more 5.56 around than 6.8. Seems the gov would do better to buy from ammoman, bass pro, cabelas, cheaper than dirt, etc than switch to new cartridge (made by what? 2 companies) in the middle of a war. Besides, I believe someone mentioned in the 6.8mm SPC thread, the 6.8 was developed for the SPEC-OPS community, not the whole military. I wouldnt hold  my breath waiting on change from 5.56.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:03:06 AM EDT
[#2]
True, but a time as such would be the most opportune no?

Anyways, this is another brilliant example of outsourcing America at its finest.  Sure the COST/BENEFIT may be cheaper to send (OUR MILITARY's AMMO EVEN!) from other countries, but when it comes to the products that are defending your OWN nation, don't you think that that is getting a little out of hand?

-mbd
my 2 cents.    
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:24:55 AM EDT
[#3]
It might be a good time to hit the civilian market with 6.8.  We're all frustrated with the 5.56 shortages.  If it were feasible to get large abounts of 6.8 to market it might cause the public and gun industry to move.  I don't think it would initially fit anyone's bottom line, though.

ETA:  The military is getting plenty of 5.56.  They are content with the situation and don't need, or necessarily want, new cartridges.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 10:43:26 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Seems the gov would do better to buy from ammoman, bass pro, cabelas, cheaper than dirt, etc than switch to new cartridge (made by what? 2 companies) in the middle of a war. Besides, I believe someone mentioned in the 6.8mm SPC thread, the 6.8 was developed for the SPEC-OPS community, not the whole military. I wouldnt hold  my breath waiting on change from 5.56.

Bet Eric would love that!
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 11:25:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top