Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2005 1:08:08 PM EDT
I know this is a fairly n00b question, but that's b/c I'm just starting out in the AR obsession.  My RRA upper came in today, and tonight I'm going to mate it with the (complete) RRA lower I purchased.  I plan on breaking down the upper as featured in "Maintain Your Rifle" at www.ar15.com/content/guides/, then giving it a nice lube job as well as familiarizing myself with dis/assembly.  If you have any comments on the pre-shoot assembly/clean/lube, please feel free to chime in.  

My main question, however, is this:  Do I need to do Anything else before I bust my AR cherry with this rifle?  Travis
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 4:48:07 PM EDT
[#1]
What ammo and magazines will you be using?

What zero procedure have you picked?
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 6:01:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't wipe off too much of that factory oil before you hit the range.  I'd keep it down to swabbing out the barrel with a patch or two (the bore on my brand new RRA upper only had a little more oil than I'd leave in it for storage).  Sure, you'll get messy making sure all the parts are there and twiddling the little one's toes, but that's ok.

When you shoot it, you will get a lot of brand new soot all over the guts of the brand new rifle.  This too is ok.  But when you finish shooting and go to clean it. that factory oil will be your friend.  It will keep the soot from clinging too well to everything and let you get it fairly clean without a lot of effort.  No, this won't be a good practice for standard use, but the break in period is really going to work out kinks in the fire control group, settle the rings on your bolt, and a few other things.  It goes a lot more easily when there isn't hard gunk gumming up the works.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 6:17:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Rock and Roll... if the barrel is lapped head spaced and test fired at the factory then you are good to go. And I know RRA does all that - a light coat of oil in the barrel and mechanisms  lube the bolt and you are ready to take your zero instructions to the range, I'd get Black Ammo when I got my first RRA 3years ago they suggested and warrantied the complete rifle only if Black Hill is used ??? Anyway never had so much as a hiccup with that excellent ammo, aint as cheap as some other stuff but since your new to the site read around you will read thread by guys who seem to have bought inexpensive ammo and are now paying for it ie cracked or broken cases, lodged bullets in barrel extraction problems etc. IMHO
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 2:39:17 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
What ammo and magazines will you be using?

What zero procedure have you picked?

Well, I thought this thread disappeared, but I found it while browsing today, so here goes...sorry for the delay in response.

I bought some Winchester FMJ 55 gr from Wal-Mart that I'll be using to break in the rifle.  After that, I'll probably be rolling my own using Winchester PSP 55 gr bullets and some decent powder/primers.  As for mags, I bought a NHMTG 20 round LEO setup from Eagle Firearms.  I'm still trying to figure out the best zero procedure...I'm up for suggestions in that department.  I'll probably mount the scope on a set of Warne medium rings, then put that on a scout riser from YHM.

Quoted:
Rock and Roll... if the barrel is lapped head spaced and test fired at the factory then you are good to go. And I know RRA does all that - a light coat of oil in the barrel and mechanisms lube the bolt and you are ready to take your zero instructions to the range?

I actually bought the RRA upper and RRA lower separately.  The lower came from gunguyr here on the boards, and the upper came from Eagle Firearms.  So would this barrel/upper already be headspaced, or how does that work?

Thanks again,

Travis
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 6:53:46 AM EDT
[#5]
Headspace will be fine,run a couple of dry patches down the bore and fire away.
As for zeroing in here is the best guide I have found:IBZ
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:31:37 PM EDT
[#6]
I'll second Tread1's recommedation of the IBZ method for zeroing your irons; I use on both my rifles.

The Winchester White Box should be decent enough ammo for break-in and you definitely have the right magazines.  Everything sounds good-to-go!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top