Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2004 2:06:39 PM EDT
I'm just got fingerprinted and finished my Form 1's and am about to mail the stuff off.  Now the research begins on which to buy first.  What say you who have experiance with these uppers?  

Link Posted: 11/1/2004 2:09:15 PM EDT
[#1]
What do you have mags for?

If I had to pick, I would probably go with 5.56 first.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 2:10:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Depends on the length of barrel you are going to use. With a 11.5," I would go with the 5.56 and use 64-75 grain SPs. If you want a really short gun, like 7.5," I would go with the 9mm.

I wish someone would make 25-30 round 10mm mags for use in an AR. I would bust a nut for a 7.5" 10mm SBR.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 2:26:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't really want to go smaller than 10".  I've read about reliability issues with the REALLY shorties.  10-11.5" looks cool as hell and would still give somewhat decent velocities.  I have alot of AR-15 stuff.  How do the 9mm uppers perform?  Accuracy?  Are they blowback or gas operated?
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 2:27:52 PM EDT
[#4]
9mm or .45 acp

cause they are pistol rounds that will get maximum, higher velocities than normal

h/w the 5.56 will LOOSE a lot of velocity, stability, accuracy, and utility; a LOT more lose than gain

both will cost about the same to shoot
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 3:07:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd go with the 9mm AR.  They are "blow back" operated, so there's no problem with function.  They are CHEAP to shoot.  The 9mm is easier to suppress.

And since I noticed the FDCC sig line, I'll add that they are VERY competitive.  I shot my suppressed Colt in last years FDCC Annual Match.  I'll let you ask the other guys how I did.
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 3:17:26 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I wish someone would make 25-30 round 10mm mags for use in an AR. I would bust a nut for a 7.5" 10mm SBR.

I read some where that you could modify the Sten mags to feed 40, 10mm, and 45acp. I stuck a 10mm in my Sten mags and they fit. I'll try to get a pic and add it. Yeah and Sten mags run about $5 a piece from Tapco. You can get a Sten mag block from L&G Weaponry for about $75. Sorry for the pic quality.

10mm in Sten mags
Link Posted: 11/1/2004 3:24:01 PM EDT
[#7]
i believe Olympic Arms uses modified Uzi mags for 10mm and .40 S & W calibers.$65 a pop for their modified mags.they look like they have a small piece of square tubing spot welded to the back of the mag to engage the mag catch.if i was gonna use them,i'd just use the mag that comes with the kit as a pattern and mig weld my own up.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top