Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/30/2004 2:30:15 PM EDT
Get a load of this. $2200 for a Bushmaster. Whatever.

www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976288566.htm
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 2:32:26 PM EDT
[#1]
The first local gun show after the sunset was much the same.  And people were still buying them!
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 2:34:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah what's next? Are people going to start selling their "post-bans" for some dumbassed  premium because "they don't make them anymore"?
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 2:38:28 PM EDT
[#3]
There's still a shop near here that has USED Glock mags for $69 each.

Which upon seeing this, reminded me why I don't do business with them anymore.

Tex78
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 2:44:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Great! A $3000 DPMS on there too. www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976497701.htm
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 2:48:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Pure scumbags - if these prices are targeting our brothers with state bans.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 3:14:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Am I a "scumbag" if I offer a pile of dog poop for sale for $5,000, whether or not anyone buys it?  In my opinion, being a capitalist, prices should be set by the market - where the "fair" price is determined by whatever price is agreed upon by buyers and sellers.  

There are plenty of places, however, where fairness is determined by elites to protect the sheep from scumbag capitalists --- Cuba, China, North Korea, etc.  But, I choose not to advocate for those types of policies because I believe in the liberties of freedom.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 3:24:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Doesn't mean you gotta ask $3025 for a DPMS.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 3:37:56 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Am I a "scumbag" if I offer a pile of dog poop for sale for $5,000, whether or not anyone buys it?  In my opinion, being a capitalist, prices should be set by the market - where the "fair" price is determined by whatever price is agreed upon by buyers and sellers.  

There are plenty of places, however, where fairness is determined by elites to protect the sheep from scumbag capitalists --- Cuba, China, North Korea, etc.  But, I choose not to advocate for those types of policies because I believe in the liberties of freedom.

Yes,  if you lie to me, and tell me it smells like roses.

P.S. I cant smell so I would have to take your word on it.

Link Posted: 10/30/2004 3:42:53 PM EDT
[#9]
This bushmaster is not that overpriced, the BEC scope is worth at least $1500.

NOT!
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 3:43:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Greetings,
I concur.
Just because you can get away with gouging someone on price doesn't make it a defensible practice.

The problem is with people who will do this to others, is that they do not possess the level of integrity to even realize the "wrongfulness" of what they're doing.

Most of us couldn't live with ourselves knowing we took advantage of a fellow firearms enthusiast.

They're a piece of sh*t regardless of the fact they made more money off the deal than you or I would feel was acceptable.

Corvette
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 3:48:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Well the way I see it, if say someone wants to pay 2, or 3 grand for a preban rifle then let them.    After all its their money, and if they are crazy enough to spend all their hard earned money on a single rifle, instead of getting 2 or maybe 3 for about the same price then let them.   Just my .2
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 4:14:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Caveat Emptor.

Those who live by it save money.  Those who don't lose money.  I see nothing wrong with those sales, so long as the buyer isn't misled about what he's about to buy.

Link Posted: 10/30/2004 4:18:09 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

How do we know that it hasn't been on there for months and months?
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 4:35:14 PM EDT
[#14]
If the buyer thinks it is worth $2000/$3000 and is willing to pay for it, who are we to interfere? Maybe he knows something we don't.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 4:56:39 PM EDT
[#15]
I don't think anybody interfered, I just thought it was funny.

I could build 4 AR's for what they want for that DPMS. As far as that BM, it may have been there a few months and probably will be there for many more.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 8:29:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Regarding the Bushmaster auction: the seller describes that rifle as "a collectable item

That's a misrepresentation, a lie, and that makes him a scum-bag.

Link Posted: 10/30/2004 8:35:59 PM EDT
[#17]
I say leave free enterprise alone.

If not, go to some country where the government tells you what you can own, sell, buy, and for how much.

Remember, there is nothing wrong with asking for too much.  It is up to the consumer to refuse.  Eventually the seller will either adjust price according to the market value, or the seller will not sell the item.

And for those idiots willing to pay over $3K for a dmps, consider it the cost of eduction - or consider it the stupid tax.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 9:08:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Well, I just feel sorry for the ding-dongs who think their "pre-ban" junk is still worth $$$.  I  have a pre-ban that I bought in 94 "just in case" so I would have a second pre-ban lower, adn I just "sucked it up" and now face the fact that what I have in the "no-ban" era is just an "old" rifle.  that's what "pre-ban" equates to now.  OLD.  You're selling an OLD rifle.  Collector item what-the-f***-ever.  Let them keep wasting money on advertising.  THAT's the free market system.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 9:11:08 PM EDT
[#19]
There is a "pre-ban" mini-14 sitting over at a local store. It is stainless, has a side folder ect. Pre-ban yes...before the ban sunset he wanted 1200$ and someone may have paid it. Needless to say it is still sitting at the shop with 1200$ on it. It is on consignment so basically it is just wasting space.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 9:16:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Hey! Anybody want to buy my no-ban Ameetec lower with RRA LPK and RRA 6 pos. stock for $677.12?

No don't talk shit, either you want it or you don't.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 9:40:32 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Was bushmnaster offering a M4 style barrel before 94?
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 9:52:30 PM EDT
[#22]
This is the exact reason I do my homework before buying almost ANYTHING.  I agree, they should be able to ask what they want for it.  However, if I was a Newbie, and was looking to pickup a firearm I knew nothing about, I'd make sure I consented with a reliable source about what I should get, what I should pay etc.

However, that said, if the description blatenly lied about some features, or if the seller misleads the buyer, telling him faulty information (for instance, claiming there still is a ban) THAT would be lying, and I would not approve.

It's funny, because I could really see someone running into that and them just be infatuated with the deal, not really because of the specs, but because of the price.  More expensive is always better right?

Gundraw

P.S.  It's funny, because right before and right after the ban sunset, I seemed like I got LOTS of catalogs with their "High Capacity Pre Ban" magazines suddenly "on sale" for only slightly discounted "pre-ban" prices.  I had to laugh evertime I saw one.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 9:56:27 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
This bushmaster is not that overpriced, the BEC scope is worth at least $1500.

NOT!

What are you talking about, that thing has a lighted crosshair "recticle".  Definitely a pricey option and certainly one of a kind.

Gundraw
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 9:32:59 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Was bushmnaster offering a M4 style barrel before 94?

The lower would give the carbine its preban status.
Link Posted: 10/30/2004 9:47:24 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Yes, obviously you can ask any price you desire. We live in America and it’s certainly your right, but that has nothing to do with the fact its "Low Class". Only a scumbag would take advantage of fellow gun owners with state AWB's or some new guy who doesn’t know any better.  Hiding behind the "Communist" BS doesn't work in my book. Its not about its legality, it’s a morale issue. Sure you made a few bucks, but did you do the RIGHT thing? I know that doesn't factor in to some people’s decisions allot anymore, but that might be part of the problem.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 3:25:34 AM EDT
[#26]
You see it here occasionally, but not at prices like that.  "To those in banned states" is the headline to quite a few items on the EE.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 6:37:27 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I don't think anybody interfered, I just thought it was funny.

Agreed!
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 6:58:32 AM EDT
[#28]
Who is to say what's collectable and what isn't?  I would say that there's a good argument to be made that pre-ban guns ARE collectable.  They can be transferred to more states legally than any other "assault" rifle.  

And who is to say what is a good deal and what isn't?

Some people's time has a high dollar value to them.  So, by saving time doing research and shopping around, going to gun shows, surfing internet forums, etc. --- they might just buy something like this if it's set up the way they want.  Rather than spend thousands of dollars worth of their time on research, they can trade stocks, or do whatever they do, to make tons of money.

The point?  The point is that it's really easy for people to characterize sellers as "scumbags" who "take advantage" of poor little unknowing dummies.  But, you guys don't know either the seller or the potential buyer - nor their reasons for selling or buying.

Now.  I sell stuff cheap - just because I'm not in the business of selling firearms or accessories - and I don't want to waste time doing so.  I'd rather just stick to my profession.  So, am I a dummy for selling BELOW market prices?

Also, someone might offer me something for one of my Colts.  But, you know what?  I wouldn't sell them for anywhere near market price.  I don't care what the going price is, I'm happy with my rifles and I'm keeping them.

So, I could imagine thinking that I wouldn't mind selling one - IF AND ONLY IF someone wanted it enough to pay a high premium.  So, what would be wrong with offering it for sale?

I'm not talking about liars or anything like that.  I'm just talking about sellers asking high prices.  THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH IT!

Just let people make their own decisions - that's all I'm saying.  There's no need to vilify sellers or buyers like these.
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 7:02:03 AM EDT
[#29]
If someone is willing to $2200 for an AR...then let them pay that amount.  If some one wants to sell an AR for $2200...Then let them.  This is the basis of our society and (just one reason) why America is a great country.

The smart buyer will look around and compare prices.  

Just my 2 cents    
Link Posted: 10/31/2004 7:06:48 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
If someone is willing to $2200 for an AR...then let them pay that amount.  If some one wants to sell an AR for $2200...Then let them.  This is the basis of our society and (just one reason) why America is a great country.

The smart buyer will look around and compare prices.  

Just my 2 cents    

+1 (and spot-on BTW)
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top