Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2004 8:47:20 PM EDT
I polished it and the takeup stays smooth for a while but then it gets gritty again!   I've had to polish the thing twice now.

WTF, over?!

BTW it's a stock AR15 trigger.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 9:09:05 PM EDT
[#1]
probably because there should be no take up or travel at all... its a single stage trigger.  I suggest throwing the crappy trigger in the garbage and buying an Accuarcy Speaks trigger.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 9:16:36 PM EDT
[#2]
By polish do you mean stoned? If it is just at the break the edge may have gotten too sharp and crumbled. The surface is heat-treated and a thin edge is brittle. Check it and see if there is a slight irregularity or dished surface. Try very, very lightly stoning the edge. An all but invisible dulling of the edge may fix it. A little goes a long way so just a couple light strokes at a time.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 9:17:05 PM EDT
[#3]
You may have worn thru the hardened surface.... and now with use it gets gritty again.  I have done this and learned the hard way.... leave those stock triggers alone.... or upgrade them to a real trigger.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 9:21:56 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
You may have worn thru the hardened surface.... and now with use it gets gritty again.  I have done this and learned the hard way.... leave those stock triggers alone.... or upgrade them to a real trigger.

100% correct.

Leave the Friggin Triggers Alone!
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 9:22:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Might have polished too far.

Time to replace it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 9:24:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 10:02:09 PM EDT
[#7]
It's a MT6400 trigger so the hammer spring was very strong.  I replaced it with a spring set I modified using the home trigger job posted here a long while back.  It's like butter now!  
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 10:09:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Just be aware.... by weakening the hammer spring using the 15 minute trigger job, the trigger FEELS great.... and for a bench gun, it WORKS great.  However, using Q3131A, I have gotten batches that the modified trigger would not set off, and got light strikes.  2-3 rounds per mag would fail.  I kinda gave up on this after that.... used to have it in all my rifles.  If you dont care about 100% reliability.... then its a great trigger job.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 10:14:19 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Just be aware.... by weakening the hammer spring using the 15 minute trigger job, the trigger FEELS great.... and for a bench gun, it WORKS great.  However, using Q3131A, I have gotten batches that the modified trigger would not set off, and got light strikes.  2-3 rounds per mag would fail.  I kinda gave up on this after that.... used to have it in all my rifles.  If you dont care about 100% reliability.... then its a great trigger job.

I'm a little worried about that too.  I've put quite a few rounds on these springs and they've been reliable so far, but there's always that possibility.  

I saved the Colt springs just in case islamofascists decide to rush.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top