Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2004 6:52:40 AM EDT
Here's musing from a banned state - I know someone has the answer:

The AWB banned "copies or duplicates..." of the "Colt AR-15" (in addition to rifles with so many of the "evil" features).

Bushmaster's XM15 has a modified design from the Colt AR-15...

Question: What's the design difference that keeps the XM15 from being a "copy or duplicate" of the Colt AR-15?

A really good answer to this would include some gov't opinion on the matter...

Have at it!
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:55:28 AM EDT
[#1]
believe it or not, it's simply because the Bushmaster rifles are called XM15E2 instead of AR15 and that makes all the difference.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:58:17 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The AWB banned "copies or duplicates..." of the "Colt AR-15" (in addition to rifles with so many of the "evil" features).

Please tell us where in the Federal Code that statement came from.   I'll bet you can't.

The ban banned weapons by either name or features - there was not 'copies of' clause.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:59:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, surprised me too...

Taken from: http://www.awbansunset.com/whatis.html

Below are the definitions, as written, in the United States Code:

Title 18, Chapter 44, Section 921 of the United States Code states:

The term ''semiautomatic assault weapon'' means -

(A) any of the firearms, or copies or duplicates of the firearms in any caliber, known as -
(i) Norinco, Mitchell, and Poly Technologies Avtomat Kalashnikovs (all models);
(ii) Action Arms Israeli Military Industries UZI and Galil;
(iii) Beretta Ar70 (SC-70);
(iv) Colt AR-15;
(v) Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR, and FNC;
(vi) SWD M-10, M-11, M-11/9, and M-12;
(vii) Steyr AUG;
(viii)INTRATEC TEC-9, TEC-DC9 and TEC-22; and
(ix) revolving cylinder shotguns, such as (or similar to) the Street Sweeper and Striker 12;

(B) a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of -
(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii)a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(iii)a bayonet mount;
(iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and
(v) a grenade launcher;

(C) a semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of -
(i) an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;
(ii)a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer;
(iii)a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned;
(iv) a manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and
(v) a semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm; and

(D) a semiautomatic shotgun that has at least 2 of -
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(iii)a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds; and
(iv) an ability to accept a detachable magazine.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 7:48:39 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Yeah, surprised me too...

Taken from: http://www.awbansunset.com/whatis.html

Below are the definitions, as written, in the United States Code:

Title 18, Chapter 44, Section 921 of the United States Code states:

The term ''semiautomatic assault weapon'' means -

(A) any of the firearms, or copies or duplicates of the firearms in any caliber, known as -
(i) Norinco, Mitchell, and Poly Technologies Avtomat Kalashnikovs (all models);
(ii) Action Arms Israeli Military Industries UZI and Galil;
(iii) Beretta Ar70 (SC-70);
(iv) Colt AR-15;
(v) Fabrique National FN/FAL, FN/LAR, and FNC;
(vi) SWD M-10, M-11, M-11/9, and M-12;
(vii) Steyr AUG;
(viii)INTRATEC TEC-9, TEC-DC9 and TEC-22; and
(ix) revolving cylinder shotguns, such as (or similar to) the Street Sweeper and Striker 12;

(B) a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of -
(ii)a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(iii)a bayonet mount;
(iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and
(v) a grenade launcher;

(C) a semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of -
(i) an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;
(ii)a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer;
(iii)a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits the shooter to hold the firearm with the non-trigger hand without being burned;
(iv) a manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and
(v) a semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm; and

(D) a semiautomatic shotgun that has at least 2 of -
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
(iii)a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds; and
(iv) an ability to accept a detachable magazine.

Your answer lies in both section 'A' & 'B'

It banned copies of a Colt AR-15. Factor in the limitations in section 'B' (bayo lug, flash hider, etc)  that Bushmaster and every other manufacturer had to abide by, and you no longer have a copy of an AR-15.

The fact that nobody else calls their ARs 'AR-15' is a trademark issue, not an AWB issue.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 8:16:25 AM EDT
[#5]
You're saying that any "copy or duplicate" of the Colt AR-15 will include a flash supressor and bayonet lug.. interesting...
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 8:24:29 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
A) any of the firearms, or copies or duplicates of the firearms in any caliber, known as -
(

I think you really have to look at the 'Known As' clause.

This means copies (i.e the 20" Match Target vs Lighweight Match Target) that are NAMED 'AR-15'.

As long as you're not named 'AR-15' you were safe.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 8:31:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top