Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/28/2004 5:11:07 AM EDT
Not wanting to start another flame war over brands - but have a semi-related question.  Relatively new to AR's.  Have other rifles and hand guns, but not of the "black" variety yet.

Based on what I have researched, I have concluded to look for a RRA in an A4 Tactical or similar config.  What I am finding is that RRA equip is pretty much on backorder across the board.  Is this true or am I just being handed a line from a dealer who would rather sell me something he already ha son the shelf?

Alternatively, my local shop has 3 Bushmaster M4 look alikes, no-ban.  Sweeet!!!!  I could take delivery TODAY, no back orders, no waiting.  Not sure of the quality in comparison of RRA nor do I really know what to look for.  I will say that having one in my hand makes it REAL tempting.  Who knows if I will ever see an RRA prior to something tragically happening to the AWB getting another breath of fresh air via EO (courtesy of Mr. Kerry).

All said and done - is a Bushmaster in the hand worth two in the bush?  Should I just take what is available and stop pursuing RRA?  Would an RRA be worth the wait or is there really no difference?

Know of any dealers out there with RRA's on the shelf?

Questions, questions..... THANKS!
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 5:19:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Buy the Bushmaster!!!!  RRA are good but BM is better.  The BM will be chrome bore and chamber and the barrel will be mil spec grade of steel, 4150 I think.  I don't know if the model RRA you are looking at is chrome or not, they only carry one model of chrome lined barrel.  Also the barrel steel is 4140 "I think".  The steel probably isn't that big of a deal but IMHO the chrome issue is.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 5:26:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't think RRA has been able to keep up with demand since the ban died.  I just picked up a lower from ADCO, and he put up the backorder sign after I placed the order.

As far as the differences, the bushy had 4150 steel over the 4140 in the RRA.  And all bushy barrells with the exception of the DCM and stainless are chrome-lined.  You have to check with RRA.  Mostly only on the M-4gery's and a few midlength's from ADCO.  

If the price is right on the Bushy, I would go ahead and pick it up.  I have 2 of each and love all of them.  Check with Aim Surplus to compare prices for the bushy.  They have the best prices but I don't think they have anything in stock right now either.

Don't let the dealer burn you on the price.  If his price is fair, get it.  Or in true ARFCOM style, get 2...
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:08:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I have both RRA and Bushmaster AR's. Both are good, but over all I give the Bushmaster a very very slight edge in quality.  

Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:19:55 AM EDT
[#4]
BUY IT!!!!
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:33:39 AM EDT
[#5]
there is just something really awesome about teh snake logo...
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:34:10 AM EDT
[#6]
BTW, they are asking $999 each.  i understand this is overpriced, but given the demand, lack of availability, and being a "local" shop, how bad am I being taken for?????

I looks like Aim Surplus has them for about $810 - but on back order.  Sounds like everyone is on backorder.

I hate to spend the extra $$$ but I also hate the thought of losing this opportunity.  Besides, it is a local shop...... (if I talk to myself long enough, i will probably talk myself into it  )
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:49:33 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
BTW, they are asking $999 each.  i understand this is overpriced, but given the demand, lack of availability, and being a "local" shop, how bad am I being taken for?????

I looks like Aim Surplus has them for about $810 - but on back order.  Sounds like everyone is on backorder.

I hate to spend the extra $$$ but I also hate the thought of losing this opportunity.  Besides, it is a local shop...... (if I talk to myself long enough, i will probably talk myself into it  )

I don't know, that is almost $200 difference.  Even if you factor in a FFL transfer fee, it will still be about $150 difference.

If you can wait, then that is what I would do.

One thing you could check out is buying an upper an lower separately.  It would save you a bunch of money and might be available more quickly.  I know Pete/Legal Transfers has uppers in stock.  And you could probably find a complete lower quickly on the equipment exchange.  The assembly is simple put tegether and push in the 2 pins.  Just an idea.

As has been said, the quality of both BM and RRA are among the best in the industry.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 6:55:34 AM EDT
[#8]
I would have tax on that too...... 6% here in Michigan - so that is another $60.
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 7:05:34 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I would have tax on that too...... 6% here in Michigan - so that is another $60.

Don't forget shipping on anything you order...............
Link Posted: 10/28/2004 7:19:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Buy the Bushmaster!  You will not regret it.  If you can find a better price, do it, but the added cost may be worth not having to wait.  Your call.

Link Posted: 10/28/2004 8:09:31 AM EDT
[#11]
$999 huh? Well that's exactly why I decided to put my own together.  Mine is all RRA arms parts in an Ameetec lower, Hogue grip and I'm going to finish it with a CMMG upper. Total cost $750 including shipping. $250 less than the Bushmaster for a gun that is nearly as good. CMMG uses chrome lining and the same steel for their barrels as BM too so no difference there. I think BM's kick ass, I just didn't want to spend 1K on a AR15 if I didn't have to.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top