Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2004 3:46:53 PM EDT
I am new to the AR15 scene.  I just bought my first.  It is a Bushmaster V Match 20".  I have some experience with M16's from when I was in the service over 30 years ago and we removed the plastic hanguards to clean and lube under them.  Now I have the aluminum free float handguard and it doesn't look easy to remove for regular maintenance.  What are you guys with the free floats doing???
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:00:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I spray rem-oil on the outside of the barrel from the muzzel end of the float tube.

I have had the rifle since 1997 and so far so good when it comes to rust on the outside of the barrel.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:04:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the same gun, I use a 12 gauge bore mop on a couple of sections o' rod and by the way, welcome.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:24:56 PM EDT
[#3]
welcome garyw.  i lube the barrel with a little high-temp grease before i install the fft.  unless dirt or water gets in/on your gun it will only need this about once ever couple years.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:52:55 PM EDT
[#4]
You're right about the BM 'V-match' HG they are next to impossible to remove.  Don't bother trying unless you plan on replacing it.  I couldn't find any standard barrel nut wrench to engage the indexing holes.  Wound up having to use a  strap wrench.  
I just sprayed 'Sheath' liberally under mine and swabbed out the excess every once in a while.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top