Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/23/2004 3:46:53 PM EDT
I am new to the AR15 scene.  I just bought my first.  It is a Bushmaster V Match 20".  I have some experience with M16's from when I was in the service over 30 years ago and we removed the plastic hanguards to clean and lube under them.  Now I have the aluminum free float handguard and it doesn't look easy to remove for regular maintenance.  What are you guys with the free floats doing???
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:00:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I spray rem-oil on the outside of the barrel from the muzzel end of the float tube.

I have had the rifle since 1997 and so far so good when it comes to rust on the outside of the barrel.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:04:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the same gun, I use a 12 gauge bore mop on a couple of sections o' rod and by the way, welcome.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:24:56 PM EDT
[#3]
welcome garyw.  i lube the barrel with a little high-temp grease before i install the fft.  unless dirt or water gets in/on your gun it will only need this about once ever couple years.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:52:55 PM EDT
[#4]
You're right about the BM 'V-match' HG they are next to impossible to remove.  Don't bother trying unless you plan on replacing it.  I couldn't find any standard barrel nut wrench to engage the indexing holes.  Wound up having to use a  strap wrench.  
I just sprayed 'Sheath' liberally under mine and swabbed out the excess every once in a while.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top