Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/20/2004 7:47:35 AM EDT
I have been tracking the package to the FFL and it is scheduled to arrive tomorrow. It is a Bushmaster M4 with a A3 flat top and A2 flash suppressor with the 6 position stock. I ordered and recieved my Eotech 552, so it is waiting at home. I also pick up a set of Samco M33 railsystem from the EE and also ordered a universal rail system and vertical grip. Here are my questions:

I have not decided how to moun the vertical grip. My initial thought is to just use the univeral rail system that mount under the stock handguard. I would leave the M33s for later, if I decided on a lighting system. Your thoughts?

As for the Eotech can you mount it directly to the flat top our do you need additional mounts to mount it at the correct height? I have seen it both ways is it just user preference or is there a benefit to mounting it higher? FYI the gun has the LMT BUIS.

Finnaly, I have not even recieved or shot the rifle and I already want another! Is there any difference between LE marked rifles and non ban configured rifles? Is it better to get a LE/mil marked rifle?

Thanks in advance.  
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 9:40:43 AM EDT
[#1]
The EoTech can be mounted straight to the flat-top without a riser.  Those that mount it higher just prefer it that way.  As for the M33's, IMHO, they are not great handguards; the rails are too weak and do not hold their zero when used with optics despite what they claim.  Your rifle will be the same as a LE marked rifle, provided you ordered a no-ban one.  What I suggest is that you take your new rifle, some USGI mags and some good ammo, and go out and shoot it before you start modding.  Get a feel for it as is.  YMMV
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:23:08 AM EDT
[#2]
The problem with a vertical grip on a rifle that has the rail that bolts to the hand gaurds is that they seem to wiggle a little. I have mine set up this way until I can afford to by a more soild rail. It just depends what you are wanting to use the rifle for. For me, I don't mind a little bit of movement. I would not put the EOtech on the M33 due to it moving way too much. Like sugested above, go shoot it. Then you'll have a better idea what you want to change and how you want it set up. Not that it'll stay that way for very long!
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:40:01 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I have not decided how to moun the vertical grip. My initial thought is to just use the univeral rail system that mount under the stock handguard. I would leave the M33s for later, if I decided on a lighting system. Your thoughts?

Having run a class with M33s and still having them on a M4 I'd say ditch the 'universal rail'.  The M33 is going to be far stronger and have no wiggle.

There are two issues though with M33s
1)  Their rails don't have enough neck for the Tango Down VFG.  So you'll need to modify the TD VFG if you intend on using it.

2) The crosspieces have a slot cut in them (why I have no idea) so if you use a KAC/GG&G/AAC type VFG you'll need to really crank down on the locking stub to prevent movement.

As for the Eotech can you mount it directly to the flat top our do you need additional mounts to mount it at the correct height?

You can mount it directly to the flattop.  It's personal preference weather or not to use the LaRue mount.  Personally I MUCH prefer the LaRue mount - others have the opposite preference.

Finnaly, I have not even recieved or shot the rifle and I already want another! Is there any difference between LE marked rifles and non ban configured rifles? Is it better to get a LE/mil marked rifle?

Not anymore

No it's no better (at least from BM) to get a LE or Mil marked rifle.  With a Colt you might get better QC from the LEO line, but that is about it.  However some people find the markings to be 'kewl' and afford 'bragging rights' of some kind
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 10:45:10 AM EDT
[#4]
havent heard much good stuff about Samco's M-33

try a Surefire; i would go w/ one of the biger ones

the LEO/ mil is NOT better; they are the same, just cosmetically diferent w/ the markings

EXCELLENT choice on the bushy and model!!

i would suggest getting better handguard mounts; try YHM's slip-on CAR hgs
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 12:39:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys. I bought the M33 for cheap, so no harm done there. There is a gun show this weekend, so I plan on looking for some of the other handguard rails you mentioned. Thanks for the help so far.

I also plan on getting some ammo there too and if I'm lucky I might be able to fire off some rounds that evening. If not, I'm getting up brite an early Sunday morning!! I have a range just 4 miles from the house
Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:41:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Is there any difference between LE marked rifles and non ban configured rifles? Is it better to get a LE/mil marked rifle?

The LEO marked weapons are more better!

More engraving = less weight!

Lighter rifle is more tactical!

Link Posted: 10/20/2004 1:49:42 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Thanks guys. I bought the M33 for cheap, so no harm done there. There is a gun show this weekend, so I plan on looking for some of the other handguard rails you mentioned. Thanks for the help so far.

I also plan on getting some ammo there too and if I'm lucky I might be able to fire off some rounds that evening. If not, I'm getting up brite an early Sunday morning!! I have a range just 4 miles from the house

If all you want is to mount a VG and a light the M33s will be fine.  You can upgrade later, buy more ammo!
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top