Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2004 1:03:21 AM EDT
Wasup all, I'm new to the site and just thought I would say my hello.  A buddy of mine got me bit by the "Gun Bug"  Seems like everything I do ends up this way, first dirt bikes, then crotch rockets, now firearms.  Hopefully I don't end up in as much trouble with the firearms he
I'm sure I'll be asking alot of questions of you guys in the future.  I've been trying to pick out which parts I want to put on this receiver and have come up with this.

24" Stainless fluted bull barrel with integrated mussle brake
Flattop upper
Jewel 2 stage trigger
standard bolt and fireing pin
Car 4 position stock *with a removeable cheek rest
Ergo Target pistol grip

I'm gettin the upper kit through JTDistributing.com  I might be doing a bit of over kill, but from all I've read and learned so far, it's better to spend more once then have to spend less 10 times.

Guess all I really need advise on now would be scope.  If you have advise on a scope, or a different component let me know.

Thanks guys
Bulletbikeguy

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 2:34:55 AM EDT
[#1]

Guess all I really need advise on now would be scope. If you have advise on a scope, or a different component let me know.

My advice:
Pay the money for a good Leupold, or other similar scope, 10-12 power will be enough, if you want a variable thats fine.
Do not over scope, I personally see no need for a 16 or 20 power.
Get some 20 round mags for prone/bench shooting, 30s get in the way.
For me, an A2 full stock just feels better for a varmint rig, the collapsibles are a little to wobbly for accurate long range shooting,and do not give a good consistent cheek weld.
As you have already said, don't go cheap.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 3:51:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 2:37:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Welcome...you will find there is no "right" answer when it comes to building an AR.  You have some good specs on your rifle.  I would tend to agree with Gunslinger about the collapsible stock on what could more or less be considered a varmint gun.  (24" bull barrel, jard trigger, flat top, etc).  

As for the scope, determine your shooting needs and budget, THEN start looking.  

I've got a 6x18 Weave grand slam on my "accurized" AR, but less powerful scopes on some of the others...so it really all depends on what you need the rifle to do.  BUT, I'd rather have the extra magnifcation and not need it hehehe...you know.  

Good luck, and welcome again to the hobby the will drain your wallet faster than you can say "what should I get next?"
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top