Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2004 5:50:52 PM EDT
For my first build, should I do a RRA 20" A2  standard or a RRA 20" A4 so I can play with sight options  later? Money is a limiting factor right now.

I read somewhere that a 16'' barrel won't accept a bayonet, is this correct?

Thanks,

GR
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 6:13:49 PM EDT
[#1]
go w/ the a3 if you plan on having optics some time

personally, i like the a2

yes, a bayo will fit on the 16bbl, but its blade length will not fit flush w/ the bbl; it will be shorter
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 6:24:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Go with the A2.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 6:27:23 PM EDT
[#3]
As someone who just put together his first rifle I recommend the A3. I was thinking of getting the A2 like most people do for their first rifle. Then I ran across a thread where bunches of people here said they also chose an A2 for their first and if they could go back they would have gotten an A3.

Plus you can always get a detachable carry handle for your A3 anwyays, but you aren't gonna saw your carry handle off of your A2.

After re-evaluating I figured if I really like the A2's after I build my A3 then I will get one. But once you get your first one its a sickness, and you will probably end up with another 4 anyways. Get Both!
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:02:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Why would an A2 be better for a beginner?

Is a beginner so  stupid that they can't figure out how a detachable carry handle attaches to the receiver rail?

Give me a break.......  That's not being new.  That's being dumb.  Dumb can't be cured.

Get either one, or just get both.  But don't make your choice based on being a beginner.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:20:24 PM EDT
[#5]
As far as a "general rifle", lots of people like the 20" barrels. They give you a little more stability and a little more reach/distance. However, if you want to built the gun up and look really military, you probably want to get a 16" M4gery. But, this being your first gun, this is what I would do: go with a 20" chrome-lined HBAR barrel and a flattop with an A2 type carry handle. This gives you the best of both worlds. Then, if you buy another AR later, you can go with the m4 16" version. No matter what you do, on either gun, however, I'd pay the extra $50-70 and get the chrome lining.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:47:43 PM EDT
[#6]
I recently bought my first AR with an A2 carry handle. I have since changed to the A3 type

flat-top. The A3 seems like the way to go, especially if you want to put glass on it in the future.

It also looks more EVIL

I have been told that bayonets do not fit correctly on a 16" barrel. My AR has a 16" barrel,

and I do not miss having a bayo lug on it, and I'm glad I did NOT go with a 20" barrel.

Just my newbie opinion
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 5:19:52 AM EDT
[#7]

Is a beginner so stupid that they can't figure out how a detachable carry handle attaches to the receiver rail?

Thanks for the moral support!

No, I'm not that stupid. My question is based on should I learn the basic system first and then get the add on stuff or go hog wild with my first one.

GRhinking.gif

Link Posted: 10/18/2004 1:54:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Start with the flat top and a detachable carry handle (or an LMT BUIS).  After you are used to the gun and can shoot with irons, go for an optic.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top