Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2004 2:05:21 PM EDT
Do guys here really put so few rounds through a gun before selling it? Looking in the EE, seems like a lot of guns only have 200 rounds through them. At the price of ammo and the capacity of clips, can this be possible?
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 2:06:54 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Do guys here really put so few rounds through a gun before selling it? Looking in the EE, seems like a lot of guns only have 200 rounds through them. At the price of ammo and the capacity of clips, can this be possible?

Well, 200 rounds is 20 clips.
Maybe these guys don't have a LULA and can't load mags really fast.
Maybe they actually try to aim the rifle before firing.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 2:10:25 PM EDT
[#2]
They're MAG'S, not CLIPS!!!! ....
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 2:18:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I doubt I've put more than 200 or 300 through my Beretta Storm, and I'm looking to sell it.  I've put less than 100 rounds through a gun before selling it, usually because I buy it because I think it looks neat, then after 25 rounds I find that it doesn't really fit my hand well, or something else comes up.

I don't think it's strange at all.  A lot of guys look at guns like a forced savings account - buy something, then 6-12 months later realize you want a different toy, so you take a small hit on your purchase price and sell it for something better.  If you lose $100 on a $500 gun, but you've had it for a year or two, it's kind of like renting it for just a  few bucks a month, which is easier to justify than blowing $500 on a gun you don't shoot anymore.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 2:26:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well, 200 rounds is 20 clips.
Maybe these guys don't have a LULA and can't load mags really fast.

I shoot at an indoor range at 16bux an hour. I have a superlight barrel on my AR, After one or two mags it is superhot, I dont wanna chance tearing up the barrel or gettin it TOO hot. no reason for it. So normally I only get 2-3 mags thru a gun and I only get to the range once a month maybe two. I have bought barrels from ppl on the EE that said they had 200rds thru them and they looked like they never been shot b4, so dunno. If your concerned about it, ask the seller for a conditional agreement, that if the barrel looks shot out (lands and grooves are gone and a go,no go gauge fails the test) that you can send it back.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 2:33:26 PM EDT
[#5]
I spent almost three years w/ out  shooting my personal AR.
Reason? Moved to an area with no place to shoot.  Yay for Chicagoland.
I can easily see someone's AR languishing in their closet.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 2:42:19 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I doubt I've put more than 200 or 300 through my Beretta Storm, and I'm looking to sell it.  I've put less than 100 rounds through a gun before selling it, usually because I buy it because I think it looks neat, then after 25 rounds I find that it doesn't really fit my hand well, or something else comes up.

I don't think it's strange at all.  A lot of guys look at guns like a forced savings account - buy something, then 6-12 months later realize you want a different toy, so you take a small hit on your purchase price and sell it for something better.  If you lose $100 on a $500 gun, but you've had it for a year or two, it's kind of like renting it for just a  few bucks a month, which is easier to justify than blowing $500 on a gun you don't shoot anymore.

I've done this for the past 20 yrs. I buy a gun that I like, at the time, then 8 to 15 months or so sell it or trade it for something else I like, at the time.  I buy, shoot for awhile, then get something else.  Kind of my hobby.   I keep the ones I really like.  I've sold guns to people that in a year or so I buy back from them because they don't shoot it anymore.  so I buy it back. I sold an SKS to a friend who, at the time really wanted it.  It sat in his closet for more than a year. He never shot it. I just recently bought it back from him.  I like buying, selling and trading guns.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 2:45:30 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Link Posted: 10/16/2004 2:54:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 2:57:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Hmm... I put 220 rounds through my new toy when I took her out to sight it in...
Can't imagine selling it already!!! haha

rvb
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 3:08:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

That is funny. I'm sure that a few guys out there are looking to conserve ammo and minimize wear and tear or live somewhere inconvenient. But so many? To me, it is the antithesis of a semi-auto and hicap mags. Most guys enjoy the shooting as much or more than the owning? No? Re> using the weapon as "gun equity" (Honey, I didn't spend any money, I just swapped this fine looking piece for something that costs more than the mortgage payment), I can see that in FTF deals and uppers. Buy used, sell used, might even make a few bucks. But the overhead of FFL makes that a losing proposition with lowers and complete weapons. I'm veering off my point. So the assessment is that many folks do sell their weapons without much use.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 3:10:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Went through 150 rounds today...

Dunno how anyone keeps their count so low...  i'd call BS on lots of things for sale but maybe they are counting the rounds on that specific upper attached to the rifle for sale.

- BG
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 3:12:10 PM EDT
[#12]
I've got around 10,000 rds thru my competition rifle, and wouldn't thinkd of selling. Still shoots great, after only one re-barrel.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 3:14:09 PM EDT
[#13]

I spent almost three years w/ out shooting my personal AR.
Reason? Moved to an area with no place to shoot. Yay for Chicagoland.

Have you tried Maxon's in Des Plaines?   Gun World in Bensenville near Ohare?
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 3:15:06 PM EDT
[#14]
I put 800 rd through my Vepr K and I only got it 3 months ago.

I usually put about 100-200 rounds through the rifle during the first few range sessions to "break in" the rifle. It's the shakedown time. I want to make sure everything is working fine, etc...

I just built up my AR-15 and went to the range last week. I put 100rd through.

I only shoot single loads (1 rd in a mag at a time) because of the stupid bolt-action folks in Oakland county over. They think semi-auto rifles are evil
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 3:16:42 PM EDT
[#15]
i am not going to buy a gun used for $400 if i can get it new for $550. make sure you can return it before you buy.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 3:17:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Yeah, and I've got a car for sale...I just got it from a little old lady that only drove it to church on Sundays.

Some days I feel there is not enough ammo being manufactured for my sick addiction and I know I'm not alone...I'm getting better now though...because I'm broke.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 3:29:49 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
That is funny. I'm sure that a few guys out there are looking to conserve ammo and minimize wear and tear or live somewhere inconvenient. But so many? To me, it is the antithesis of a semi-auto and hicap mags. Most guys enjoy the shooting as much or more than the owning? No? Re> using the weapon as "gun equity" (Honey, I didn't spend any money, I just swapped this fine looking piece for something that costs more than the mortgage payment), I can see that in FTF deals and uppers. Buy used, sell used, might even make a few bucks. But the overhead of FFL makes that a losing proposition with lowers and complete weapons. I'm veering off my point. So the assessment is that many folks do sell their weapons without much use.

Well, lets put it into perspective, if they shot a lot, they probably wouldn't want to be getting rid of their firearm, would they?
Maybe they look at it and think, "you know I never go to the range, and I could use the extra caseh."
Maybe they have more than one. I know I have a beater AR that use for practice, and other that I shoot from time to time. The beater always goes to the range. My Colt probably has less than 200 rounds through it, my Bushy has over a case. My no-ban LMT got 400 rounds of Wolf through it the day after the ban expired.
Or perhaps they know enough about shooting to decide that they don't like what they have.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 3:53:20 PM EDT
[#18]
I think it's probably because many members of the forum own multiple ARs, and when you have so many, the ammo count for each weapon is not very high. Collectively however, the sum might be equivalent to that of a one or two gun owner.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 4:28:07 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I think it's probably because many members of the forum own multiple ARs, and when you have so many, the ammo count for each weapon is not very high. Collectively however, the sum might be equivalent to that of a one or two gun owner.

good point.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 5:27:18 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Yeah, I've done that too, bought a sweet looking gun, and after 100 rounds it starts to hurt my hand with every pull of the trigger. To the EE it goes......
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 7:03:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Round count on most of mine is low.  Out of 5 AR's, 2 have never been fired, and my favorite has around 500 rounds through it.  I have held off on using up so much ammo, and trying to pick up more rifles and mags.  I recently traded a Mini-14 that I bought in 1986.  It had only 200 (for real) rounds through it, because it had only seen the light of day twice since I purchased it.

Wish I had more time and funds to allow building my round count...
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:02:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 8:20:11 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I spent almost three years w/ out  shooting my personal AR.
Reason? Moved to an area with no place to shoot.  Yay for Chicagoland.

That happened to me when they closed a local illegal shooting range  that was tolerated until some class III Rambo wannabe let some rounds fly over the berm and hit a house a mile away.  Then found a place 60 miles away to shoot, now I joined a club that's a mere 40 miles away.

during the AWB I didnt shoot my Colt green labels all that much, bought a Sporter Lightweight and shot that 90% of the time.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 10:29:05 PM EDT
[#24]
I used to keep a count and records for my pistols and long guns.  I know I only have 75 rounds through my shotgun because I haven't even finished a value pack of sport loads.  I had a log going at one point for my .22LR and 9mm pistols when they were new up until I had about 500 rounds through each.  I stopped counting with my .22LR bolt action rifle after about 300 rounds.  At a certain point you just know if a firearm is going to be a keeper.  I thought a lot about these before getting them and luckily made some good decisions.  I think I would have known by round 200 if I wasn't happy with one of them for some reason so it never surprises me to see rifles and uppers for sale with less than 500 rounds through them.  Any firearm I am happy with will be shot into the ground by me but I definately wouldn't hang onto one that didn't work for me for very long.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 10:47:00 PM EDT
[#25]
I've got only 40 rounds through my 6920.  I'm a newbie.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 11:07:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Some people don’t shoot much , I have a friend that has an impressive weapon collection .
Along with case upon case of ammo .  I also know that the last 15-20 he's bought have
never been fired .  I bust his stones all the time , telling him that the next time he goes
on vacation , I'm gonna go pop all his virgins

Me on the other hand ....... If I buy something new and go more then 3 days without
putting a few hundred rounds through it , I break out in Hives .
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 11:15:20 PM EDT
[#27]
"That happened to me when they closed a local illegal shooting range that was tolerated until some class III Rambo wannabe let some rounds fly over the berm and hit a house a mile away. Then found a place 60 miles away to shoot, now I joined a club that's a mere 40 miles away."

What's an illegal range?
My range is pre-ban.

That's why I like used guns, most people hardly shoot their guns, I get all kinds of good deals on barely shot, only dropped once guns.  I got a dissi of the EE about a month ago, guy said he shot it 160 times, didn't look like he shot it 10.  Screaming deal.  When it comes down to it most people just don't shoot.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 5:51:16 AM EDT
[#28]
I bet that I haven't put much over 500 rounds through my registered M16.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top