Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2004 7:06:08 PM EDT
How were M1A's affected by the AWB?  If Kerry gets elected, should i rush out to get one before he tries to pass another ban?  Or is a rifle like this likely safe?
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:09:01 PM EDT
[#1]
They lost their bayonet lug.

Nothing is safe, ever.

Edited to add that Springfield has taken a turn for the worse from what I hear.  You might look into a Norinco and have it sent to Smith in Tempe AZ for a reheat treating.  They are forged.  There is also LRB.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:16:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Ditto on the bayonet lug. In the PRK version of the AWB we lost the flash suppressor as well. Like the previous poster said, NOTHING IS SAFE PERIOD.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:52:46 PM EDT
[#3]
M14 clones not only lost their bayonet lugs, they lost pistol grips and folding stocks.
We won't see another ban anytime soon. The Dems remember the blood bath they took in the Mid term Congressional elections of 94. When they forget, they will try again.
What will the next one look like? Imagine a combination of the NFA of 1934, The MG ban of 86 and the AW ban of 94. A new regulated class of firearms created. A tax and registration and the tax won't be a paltry $200.00 either. No further manufacture for civilian sales. Imagine $3,000.00-$5,000.00 AR15's
Can't happen? Who in 1984 would have imagined $10,000.00 M16's?
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:07:00 PM EDT
[#4]
thanks guys.  who else makes an M14/M1A rifle besides Springfield?  links?
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:11:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

I forgot about the pistol grip stock.

Fulton Armory
LRB
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:15:27 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Fulton Armory www.fulton-armory.com/

Armscorp www.armscorpusa.com/

Smith Enterprise www.smithenterprise.com/

LRB www.lrbarms.com/ The only FORGED receiver currently made.

And then there are a bunch of M14 smiths who will build a rifle from your own components. There are others, but I have links to only two:

Tank's www.tanksrifleshop.com/

Tim Strait users3.ev1.net/~hd80/Warbird.htm

Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:21:44 PM EDT
[#7]
You can't go wrong with Fulton Armory or LRB as far as the M1A is concerned.  However, I have 2 Springfields and never had a problem.  You aren't going to get all USGI parts on a Springfield Armory anymore, but I'm happy with mine and I've helped a couple of friends each get SA M1As.  

Regardless of an future bans,  they will only get more expensive.  Keep your eyes out at the gun shows and you can usually pick one up for a decent price, don't spend extra for a pre-ban unless it is all USGI parts.  Also, if it is a SA, they will honor the lifetime warranty, even if you were not the orginal owner.  Also, mags are already going down in price for them.

FA Gunner
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:56:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Do some reading if you are new to the M14 bandwagon. Learn to identify USGI parts and start to get a feel for the parts' individual prices. I am in the process of collecting components for (2) new M14 projects, and they are expensive, especially if you covet the ever elusive NEW grade of component. YMMV.

Op-rods are $150.
Stripped bolts can run $130.
Flash hiders are $100+.
Gas cylinders are $100-$120.
Gas systems, complete with cylinder, piston, lock, and plug are $150+.
Trigger groups are $70-$120, depending on manufacturer.
Receiver, $500-$700.
USGI Presentation grade stock from Fred's, $125.
USGI barrel, $250+. (used)

USGI barrels in NEW condition are hard enough to find that many people are getting new commercial barrels from Krieger, Criterion, Shilen, Douglas, Hart, and Obermeyer. These are all fantastic barrels for competition, mind you, but they don't do much for authenticity of an M14 project.

Visit the Fulton Armory FAQ, then do Google searches on M14. There is a lot to know.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 11:34:58 PM EDT
[#9]
I plan on having two M14 types built up.  One regular 22" barrelled version and the other an 18"
"bush" type with red dot type optics. I waited til now because I wanted to have the evil bayonet lug and flash suppressor along with a forged receiver like the original G.I. types were made.  Plan on knocking out the 22" first , in order to secure bayo lug/flash supp desire, then the 18" which I don't think can be equipped with the bayonet lug. Gonna do chrome bore on both as well with barrels from Fulton Armory. I ordered a plain, forged receiver from LRB Arms the other day and that alone cost me $ 679 shipped.  Entreprise Arms also offers receivers they claim to be
forged and a little less expensive than LRB, although I have read that some M14 smiths don't work on the Entreprise receivers. I have heard good things about Tim Strait (Warbird Custom Guns) and that's where I plan on sending it for assembly. This may not be the cheaper way to get an M14 type, but I'm picky and wanted the forged receiver. I also don't mind because I can spread out the cost over time and in the end have something different than my buddy who's always commenting about taking the easy route by buying an SA Inc. M1A.
Link Posted: 10/16/2004 12:36:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Off-Topic.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top