Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2004 3:01:32 AM EDT
I read alot of the threads regarding products i am interested, like different rails, barrel brands, back up sights, red dots, etc. This board is such a great resource for anyone that can't just run down to the store and touch, or go out to the range and try. However, what irks me is the ONE crucial factoid that i see left out all the time is how often the rifle is used/shot. I know i've been guilty of this in the past. Sure, your rail by brand XXXXXX is lightweight--but the poster doesn't say if the rifle spends most of the time sitting on a bench. The enhanced XXXXXX by XXXXXXX is ULTRA reliable--but how many rounds does the poster put through his rifle per week/month/year? 10? 100? 10k? "Always works when i pull the trigger" doesn't cut it!!

Without a round count, or shooting conditions (1k a weekend in a class? 1 round hunting? 200 rounds plinking?), giving input on quality/reliability ("I love my XXXX;" "Never had a failure;" etc) really doesn't mean jack.

rant mode OFF.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:07:59 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:43:54 AM EDT
[#2]
LOL...

sometimes it seems that way, eh?
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:51:09 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Without a round count, or shooting conditions (1k a weekend in a class? 1 round hunting? 200 rounds plinking?), giving input on quality/reliability ("I love my XXXX;" "Never had a failure;" etc) really doesn't mean jack.

rant mode OFF.

I feel the same way.  During the summer, a couple of my rifles see 200-500 rounds per week at peak shooting times and they are NOT safe queens.  During the winter in MI, it is somewhat harder to keep up that shooting pace, but I will make a concerted effort to do better this winter.

That is why I LOVE the training review posts.  These people push their equipment like it was designed to be pushed and real world data comes from those posts.  No safequeens, no posers, as close to real world shooting conditions as most are likley to see.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:23:57 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
We're supposed to shoot our rifles? I thought we're supposed to just make them look pretty and then put pictures of them on the internet.

DAMN!  I only shoot mine, guess I need to start taking some pictures.  They are already pretty though
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 5:36:04 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

That is why I LOVE the training review posts.  These people push their equipment like it was designed to be pushed and real world data comes from those posts.  No safequeens, no posers, as close to real world shooting conditions as most are likley to see.  

+1

i pay extra close attention to posts by instructors, i.e. Pat Rogers and Yeager on LF.net, as these guys see ALL the makes and models, and more importantly, see what lasts, and what doesn't. I must admit that reading their posts has made me much more of a colt fan, especially with bolts and barrels.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 3:40:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I've started leaving my doors unlocked.  
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 3:52:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Good point chiz45, I have appended my last post accordingly.

Cheers.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top